Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
IIRC, there used to be an LX J fare MUC-ZRH-(BUD?), where if you spent every weekend of the year doing turns on that route, you could haz HON for about $32,000. Dunno if anyone has been crazy enough to do it.
Last year there was a sale promo on LH that involved lots of bonus miles for flying a fairly short (and cheap) rout in Europe on, of all things, a Cessna. There were a number of LH flyers who spent their weekends on the Cessnas and they have been dubbed the "Cessna HONS."

We did spend some time with one of them last fall in VIE and I can tell you that she is very nice but sometimes seems fairly far off the walls.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Phudnik
The LM SF is a super-nice hotel and well worth staying in. The LM Dallas North is also pleasant and surprisingly inexpensive. There is one now in Philadelphia; I haven't stayed there, but I think jrzyshawn has.
I've only stayed in the Dallas North location, and enjoyed it. It's all-suite too, and you're right about the price — it is surprisingly cheap.

The San Francisco LM looks really nice. I've walked past it many times while staying at the W just down the street. Next trip there I think we'll be trying out the LM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I had forgotten about that crash. I was supposed to make a recruiting trip for one of our clients to OU and OSU that week. The OSU portion of the trip was canceled due to the tragedy.
Yep...great gesture by the Texas Longhorns last night when they all laid (Ok-State) orange flowers at the memorial outside Gallagher-Iba before the game. For me, when the Longhorn band lowered the Longhorn flags and kept the A&M flags high during the bonfire game....well...that's when I - and anyone in attendance - gained the upmost respect for the University of Texas....dare I say hook 'em for that :-:

Originally Posted by icurhere2
I have 76,000+ HHonors points - if I subtract anything from that balance, I sadly won't be able to book a night anywhere
HH points are worth less than Sky Pesos now, aren't they?!?!? If it weren't for the free breakfasts....
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by theblakefish
HH points are worth less than Sky Pesos now, aren't they?!?!? If it weren't for the free breakfasts....
SPG does upgrades and actual treatment of their Elites that makes them believe they are of value to the company. Hilton HHonors is a scheme to earn free nights.

Hilton is still owned by Blackstone, and in more depressing news, Blackstone has bought into the debtload of the Hotel del Coronado. Apparently the hotel has $630MM of out there.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by monitor
Last year there was a sale promo on LH that involved lots of bonus miles for flying a fairly short (and cheap) rout in Europe on, of all things, a Cessna. There were a number of LH flyers who spent their weekends on the Cessnas and they have been dubbed the "Cessna HONS."

We did spend some time with one of them last fall in VIE and I can tell you that she is very nice but sometimes seems fairly far off the walls.
The one HON I have had personal interaction with was the wackadoodle who was supposed to sit next to me on SMD1. This was the guy that bumped into the FA doing predeparture champagne, and then had the audacity to blame her for being in the wrong spot. I say "supposed to sit next to me" because he was ticketed for the seat next to me, but was hardly in it all night. I found out later that I was the guy sleeping in the middle of the party.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Originally Posted by Phudnik
There is not enough to describe my thoughts about driving from DC to Boston with or without two children. That's nearly seven hours, up I-95 about half of the way (assuming you do the sensible thing and take the Tappan Zee and 287 around NYC).
Fixed it for ya. I am somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I will go to fairly decent lengths to avoid driving trips of more than ~3 hrs (basically from here to HVN) these days. I have no issues about riding in a car for longer periods of time, or trading off driving stints, but the marathons really make me think "wow this is a long chunk of time where I could be working/reading/sleeping/etc, but instead I have to be here on constant 110% alert..."

I'm also probably acclimatized to NOT having to do this, since I drive so little on a regular basis these days (a couple of airport trips a month, maybe a NYC/CT run, etc) - it's like the climate stuff we were talking about the other day.

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Wow, the current SPG Amex offer is not overly intriguing, $2500 in spend every month for six months to get the extra 15,000 points? That is well outside of my credit card churn every month.

The late June/early July 2010 offer (30K just for...making one purchase, basically) was awesome.

The current OnePass Plus offer, which is 50K RDMs and the fee waived the first year, seems pretty good. I've never had a CO branded card and might as well go for it now since the days seem to be limited. Wondering whether I should hedge my bets and wait for it to count in Mileathon (Feb 1) or is it too risky that the offer will expire on January 31?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Pretty much. I'm not doing business with that airline or that hotel chain these days unless I really have to.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Night, Box. Gonna put the beast in his cage, and knock off some of the new Stuart Woods book until the Vicodin kicks in and I can't see straight.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Night, Box. Gonna put the beast in his cage, and knock off some of the new Stuart Woods book until the Vicodin kicks in and I can't see straight.
My pups are trying to break glass in the br window. Suspect I need to reel them in.

Night box.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Wow, the current SPG Amex offer is not overly intriguing, $2500 in spend every month for six months to get the extra 15,000 points? That is well outside of my credit card churn every month.
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Is that the latest? Looks like my CC application will be on submit hold longer. :-:
Let me know if either of you want me to refer you.

Originally Posted by fozz
Have you logged out and logged back in? .bomb does horrible back-end caching.
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have the same issue. Cleared the cache, restarted the browser, and tried again but still see the Y seat map. It's like it's stuck on the backend because it doesn't even show the cabin I'm in on the itinerary page.
Yeah, clearing the cache hasn't helped this issue in the past. And, since I'm pulling up the reservation manually, I can't log out. It's just some weird UA bug. In the past, a call to India or just waiting until OLCI has cleared it up.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Congrats to colpuck on the promotion and bdjohns1 on the new job and becoming fellow cheesehead.

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
If you're over in MSN after I get moved up here, there's a beer coming from me. Hope you find a good opportunity soon. If you know manufacturing and Six Sigma stuff, I might be able to hire you.
Unfortunately I don't com from an mfg or Six Sigma background. Thanks for the offer. Did some testing this evening for an MSN area employer that a friend referred me too, so hopefully the job fairy can grant me that one. My favorite part of the description was "Position requires a minimum of 50% travel" .

Hopefully Steve GadFly and I have the same luck with the job fairy that you two have had.

Originally Posted by belynch
Canada and I were the 2 of 3 EWR - MUC last summer on the a346.
The third guy was a (we saw him carrying on in the lounge) so that was that. Service was Lufty efficient.

On our LX flight from ZRH - DXB we were the only two in F and had spectacular service from a team of 4.
I have the opposite luck everyone else on FT has. Smallest F cabin I've had were 3/8 on OZ ICN-JFK and TK JFK-IST (both with one coworker). Every LX, NH, LH, and SQ cabin has been minimum 4-5 pax. Had a 744 FRA-ORD that was 16/16 too.

Originally Posted by sdm1130
UDU is . Half the time I get upgraded, things seems to get stuck and the Economy seat map is still shown. I have a seat assignment in a front cabin, the class of service column is blank and I can't see the correct seat map. Do I just have bad luck or do other UA flyers see this often?
I only had problems with some TATL flights ex-IAD, so I took it as a sign I should only use ORD unless I needed UA 974 to make it to a morning meeting.

Sometimes logging out then logging back in would work. Or else I'd call the 1K line.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Why do I waste my brain cells watching the Jersey Shore with my brother and sisters...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ande777emt
Had a 744 FRA-ORD that was 16/16 too.
I went from a 6/16 LH F cabin (IAH-FRA) to a 16/16 LH F cabin (FRA-JNB) and the difference in service was quite noticeable. In my (limited) experience, I don't think a true LH F experience can be had when the cabin is full.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Why do I waste my brain cells watching the Jersey Shore with my brother and sisters...
I'm on dorm duty tonight - the kids were just watching it for the half hour after study hall. Truly
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: United Million Miler 1K, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
I can haz promotion.
Congrats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.