Wiki Posts
Search

CUN-IAH Clearing Customs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
CUN-IAH Clearing Customs

I'll be doing a quick quasi M/R EWR-CUN with return leg CUN-IAH-EWR early next month. My question has to do with clearing customs on the return and duty free shopping. Will I clear customs in CUN (as done in AUA) or in IAH?-- I am planning to only have a small carry on bag, so if I purchase liquids in CUN, will I then have to check my bag in IAH ? Or will I be able to carry on any items through to EWR ?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mauld
I'll be doing a quick quasi M/R EWR-CUN with return leg CUN-IAH-EWR early next month. My question has to do with clearing customs on the return and duty free shopping. Will I clear customs in CUN (as done in AUA) or in IAH?-- I am planning to only have a small carry on bag, so if I purchase liquids in CUN, will I then have to check my bag in IAH ? Or will I be able to carry on any items through to EWR ?
You will clear customs in IAH - so if you purchase duty free in CUN, you will need to put it into checked baggage in IAH.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by zigenbock
You will clear customs in IAH - so if you purchase duty free in CUN, you will need to put it into checked baggage in IAH.
correct
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:56 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
IAH does have a carry-only "faster" track system for on the far southwest side of the customs hall after the global entry kiosks. Once you pass through the follow a corridor and bypass the luggage carousels and exit to the connecting security check-point. I've never used it myself, as I have global entry, but others I know have and liked it.

But yes, duty free you have to check a bag due to TSA's inane rules.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
With only carry-on luggage you can use the one-stop option described above to skip the baggage claim/customs line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.