Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Selling my Headphones to Y class passengers

Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I carry my own headphones with me. When I get an upgrade on a flight without direct TV i would like to sell my continental supplied headphones to the Y class passengers. Do you think i would have a problem with the flight attendants if i walk down the isle and try to sell my headphones and accept cash for them in the 'cash less' cabins?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a bad idea. The airplane isn't a space for you to operate your own business transactions with other passengers.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I doubt this would go over well.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
What a bad idea. The airplane isn't a space for you to operate your own business transactions with other passengers.
Any 'rule' that says i can not?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
How much are you going to sell them for 2 or 3 USD? Just give them away, it's not worth the hassel.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by mike_asia
Don't be that guy.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
You'd make a lot more money bringing in a bag of Big Macs and selling those in coach.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Don't know about a "rule", but as other's have said it is a BAD IDEA and will not go over well. If you did it you would be starting a thread next week about how the FA yelled at you and shamed you for selling your headset for $2 to Y pax.
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLstudent
How much are you going to sell them for 2 or 3 USD? Just give them away, it's not worth the hassel.
Good question. i think 2 USD would be fine. If the outbound flight has direct TV then they will be 'free'. I will take a few handfuls when boarding the plane. When the return flight does not have direct TV i can sell them for $2.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
I carry my own headphones with me. When I get an upgrade on a flight without direct TV i would like to sell my continental supplied headphones to the Y class passengers. Do you think i would have a problem with the flight attendants if i walk down the isle and try to sell my headphones and accept cash for them in the 'cash less' cabins?
You're joking, right?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I would imagine that there is a wealth of legal support that says you cannot.

At the very least, it would be incredibly tacky and bizarre behavior, which would result in an embarrassing admonition by a flight attendant.

On the opposite extreme, your unauthorized sale of goods on board a Continental aircraft, especially if it is an international flight, could land you in legal trouble, which may be a prosecutable offense. This is perhaps an even more likely scenario given that fact that you would be competing with CO for headset sales aboard the airplane. The airplane is not a public place where goods can be sold or bartered in the absence of legislation that says otherwise.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Good question. i think 2 USD would be fine. If the outbound flight has direct TV then they will be 'free'. I will take a few handfuls when boarding the plane. When the return flight does not have direct TV i can sell them for $2.
That wasn't my point. You need that $2 that badly? And I'm not sure the FA's will just let you take a handful to sell yourself. That is stealing Continental's headphone that they would sell, so YOU can sell THEIR product. Great idea!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I once sat next to a woman and her child in Y. I had a couple of sets of the old $5 earphones from earlier travel. The woman purchased one set at $5 and was trying to share them with her son - each using one ear piece.

I gave her a set and she was pleased - made my day.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, once a CO Plat
That is possibly the prick'est idea I have ever heard of. I think you are a bad person for even thinking about selling headphones to other passengers and no less ones that you received for free - very aggro and bad karma like. Bad on you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.