Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Active Military now board before First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

For both flights this morning (out of DCA and IAH) the CO gate agents announced preboarding for active military (with ID), then a few moments later preboarding for First Class, then Elite, etc.

While this is a nice gesture, it just seemed a little awkward. It would appear to be more logical to just announce preboarding of active military with Elites.

If there were a few active military personnel at the gate in uniform - this would have been appropriate. But in both cases there were none.

Both flights DCA-IAH, and IAH-SEA were not full in F with paid customers. An off duty CO FA in uniform and her BF got seats in row 2. One guy (not in uniform) was preboarded (DCA) even before the announcement - to seat 4A (so he wasn't a FAM).

If I saw an active duty military person in uniform I would have asked a gate agent to add as a companion - there were empty seats (IAH-SEA).

Again - nice to do - just seemed a little awkward with no visible military. Maybe this is for security?

Last edited by cova; Jan 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I saw this in FLL a couple weeks ago and also thought it was odd.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Same thing on IAH-LAX last Sunday. Not done on return flight from SFO-IAH.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova
While this is a nice jester,
Well put. It is, in fact, a complete joke.

Methinks the word you are looking for is "gesture."
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:51 pm

What is this gesture suppose to signify? A simple "Thank you for your service" should suffice.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
This was done when I left CLT 2 weeks ago as well, I took many flights that week and this ERJ flight was the only one to have that, it was quite akward, no one even came forward.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Same thing on IAH-LAX last Sunday. Not done on return flight from SFO-IAH.
That's actually kind of funny. Did it ex-IAH, not ex-SFO.

Originally Posted by JetAway
What is this gesture suppose to signify? A simple "Thank you for your service" should suffice.

Their paycheck should suffice for performing their job duties.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Part of me says it's a nice gesture to give people who put their lives on the line for ours an opportunity to board ahead of other passengers.

But another part wonders where we draw the line: before F/elite passengers, should they board Doctors, Nurses, EMTs, Firemen, etc?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: CO PLT, AA PLT, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Avis First
They did this for IAH-RDU this week, but done a little differently. Active military were invited to board with elites. That seems to make sense to me, but I applaud CO for the effort in recognizing their service.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
^, agree.

In poor taste. They place their lives on the line for America, and other countries, each and every day.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
But another part wonders where we draw the line: before F/elite passengers, should they board Doctors, Nurses, EMTs, Firemen, etc?
Exactly. There are a lot of people who risk their lives for their paycheck.

Now if these folks were drafted and/or volunteering, I might feel differently. But for people who willingly enroll in a profession and are paid for it, I think it's a bit much.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
In poor taste. They place their lives on the line for America, and other countries, each and every day.

And so do other professions. Why single one out?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Exactly. There are a lot of people who risk their lives for their paycheck.
Yes, and there is no problem in saying "thanks" to those people also. I'm not advocating the pre-boarding but saying that a "paychech should suffice" is not appropriate IMO.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat National Executive Amtrak Select Plus
yawn. this sure seems to come up a lot. I can see if they were preboarding fifty military folks, but really - when does that happen. I get far more worked up when someone slithers on to the blue carpet without status and the GA lets them go through. who cares - sure they signed up for the military on their own, but I'll probably never come across an I.E.D. at work - so it all works out.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LGAiahSAT
yawn. this sure seems to come up a lot. I can see if they were preboarding fifty military folks, but really - when does that happen. I get far more worked up when someone slithers on to the blue carpet without status and the GA lets them go through. who cares - sure they signed up for the military on their own, but I'll probably never come across an I.E.D. at work - so it all works out.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.