FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Rumor: UA Disables IFE on International flights after NWA Incident.. Will CO follow? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1032193-rumor-ua-disables-ife-international-flights-after-nwa-incident-will-co-follow.html)

JetSetBen Dec 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Rumor: UA Disables IFE on International flights after NWA Incident.. Will CO follow?

There's a FlyerTalk thread over at UA that they have disabled all IFE on international flights into the US due to the GPS functionality of the Map on IFE.. Folks are pretty upset with the TSA over this.. any word on CO implementing this today?

sfogate Dec 26, 2009 5:23 pm

UA has very strict security rules since they lost two planes to 9-11. I would not be surprised if this rumor is true.

COFlyerCLE Dec 26, 2009 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by JetSetBen (Post 13058222)
There's a FlyerTalk thread over at UA that they have disabled all IFE on international flights into the US due to the GPS functionality of the Map on IFE.. Folks are pretty upset with the TSA over this.. any word on CO implementing this today?

Will they also black out all the windows then as well - so no one on the plane knows where they are? This appears to be heading toward the absurd.

Houston2mnl Dec 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Gawd I hope not.....I like that thing on the long transPac hauls. When I am semi-sleeping I can tell how much longer we have to go without waking up my brain to convert time zones with touchdown times.

entropy Dec 26, 2009 5:38 pm

so f'in stupid.

the notion that people have no idea where they are without the in flight map is ridiculous. Almost anyone here could figure out the flight path and likely timing.

Our stupid government is too stupid/timid to go after the people who are problematic and instead give the grandmas and low-risk travelers a hard time. A non-hazardous traveler with a big bottle of shampoo is not a risk.

CALfly5 Dec 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by COFlyerCLE (Post 13058245)
Will they also black out all the windows then as well - so no one on the plane knows where they are? This appears to be heading toward the absurd.

Heading there??? Aren't we already there with the one-hour in-seat, no blankie/pillow/book/etc in your lap nonsense (as many other astute observers before me have noted)?

No, where we are headed is the truly absurd. Soon TSA will require carriers to straightjacket all pax and have attendants strap you into your seat. All pax will be issued a camelback water system in case you get thirsty, and you will be offered an in-flight catheter for longer flights. Armed police will patrol the aisles looking for anyone who appears to be getting restless and use a taser to "readjust" their attitudes.

Welcome to Con Air, civilian transport version, 2010.

COFlyerCLE Dec 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by CALfly5 (Post 13058338)
Heading there??? Aren't we already there with the one-hour in-seat, no blankie/pillow/book/etc in your lap nonsense (as many other astute observers before me have noted)?

No, where we are headed is the truly absurd.

You are absolutely correct.

NOLAnwGOLD Dec 26, 2009 6:16 pm

So crazy but determined people will get to do what they want to do. How to stop them is to one, stop fostering hate (war, killings, giving people a chance to grow and develop well), good information gathering (CIA, etc) to find those in the planning stages...

Stopping people from going to the bathroom, limiting trade, making people bored and other scare issues only make the innocent suffer and not really provide true security.

FlyingHoustonian Dec 26, 2009 6:47 pm

So far I've heard/read rumours of Air Canada, Finn Air, and reports of BA and AA with no IFE as well.

I've done a few cruises transatlantic before and it is looking like a better option than ever when I move my family back and forth between our Europe and home and Stateside home.

Sad.

Ciao,
FH

Russell745 Dec 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 13058309)
Our stupid government...

Sorry to paraphrase your quote. I usually hold your posts in high regards and I trust this was maybe a slip. Politics are not my thing but our government, in my opinion, is a lot of things but not stupid.

Cheers mate.

Fridayslover Dec 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Ridiculous!
I really don't know what is FAA thinking.

dergon darkhelm Dec 26, 2009 7:27 pm

from a purely self-serving point of view.......

maybe this incident and the government/airline industy over-reaction will bring about a drop in travel and necessitate a response to keep people flying................2010 DEQMs here we come!

mach92 Dec 26, 2009 8:16 pm

No, where we are headed is the truly absurd. Soon TSA will require carriers to straightjacket all pax and have attendants strap you into your seat. All pax will be issued a camelback water system in case you get thirsty, and you will be offered an in-flight catheter for longer flights. Armed police will patrol the aisles looking for anyone who appears to be getting restless and use a taser to "readjust" their attitudes.

I'm headed for my car. You can forget air travel if all these silly rules go into place :td:

BigPoppaCO Dec 26, 2009 8:34 pm

I especially like the no bathroom rule... Think of how many people are going to soil those seats

usa18dca Dec 26, 2009 8:40 pm

I'm now wondering if I can reroute my UA Y Flexible Ticket to a LH IAD-MUC-CDG instead to avoid this idiocy in place...