Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pic of CO 737-700 with small piece of the wing missing

Pic of CO 737-700 with small piece of the wing missing

Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:38 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Yes, we pax should always report such deviations to flight crew.

It's good to be aware of one's surroundings and provide condition reports if necessary. No harm ever done this way.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like gremlin damage to me.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by meFIRST
I would have walked out of the airplane and asked to be put on the next flight. (politely)

I think that's reasonable.
This statement is still bothering me. Save your own arse, but leave the other 173 people with families, kids, etc onboard and not bring it to anyone's attention.

Ironic FT callsign. Seeing a trend......
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I would have walked out of the airplane and asked to be put on the next flight. (politely)

I think that's reasonable.

Did you get on the plane?
Yeah, I got on the plane. Also, it didnt seem like that big of a deal to bring it to the attention of the flight crew. Let me see if I can crop the original picture as it looks like there is some scorching around the damaged section.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Boeing are tough, resilient aircraft.
A friend of mine just retired from the US Air Force and that's his opinion. he said you can slam Boeings into the ground pretty hard and they do just fine. His opionin of Airbus planes is pretty low, FWIW
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
A friend of mine just retired from the US Air Force and that's his opinion. he said you can slam Boeings into the ground pretty hard and they do just fine. His opionin of Airbus planes is pretty low, FWIW
Yikes - let's not try and turn this in to an Airbus vs. Boeing thread.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
close up shot

Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
+1
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:10 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Hi everyone,

I was sitting in row 19 on what I believe was ship #714. Route flown was EWR to DFW on Saturday afternoon. At first, I thought that there was a small piece missing from the wing. Then, I thought that the flap might have been extended, but after a few more glances, there was definitely a very small piece of the wing missing (not sure of the exact name of the part on the wing). Obviously, it was safe to fly as it was a very smooth flight.

Thought I would share the pic. comments?

Hi NYPDLieu, the part you're referring to is called an "Outboard Aft Flap" and is used to augment lift during take off and landing. The condition noted in your photos is actually an FAA-approved field repair that trims the end as noticed in the pictures. It's not too commonly used, but to be clear, there's nothing to be alarmed about when you see this.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi NYPDLieu The condition noted in your photos is actually an FAA-approved field repair that trims the end as noticed in the pictures. It's not too commonly used, but to be clear, there's nothing to be alarmed about when you see this.
I was going to post that it looks like there had probably been some issue/damage at the tip of the flap so the quick (and safe) fix is to cut the section off (hence the scorch marks).

Sorta how if you have a small crack at the end of a finger nail, you can file or cut that section of nail off to keep the crack from propagating.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:15 am

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Thanks, Scott!

B7
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:16 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
What would William Shatner do???
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
What would William Shatner do???
I would repeat the Uranus joke but I see that Scott's watching...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:27 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
That's what Shatner said too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.