Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

'Feeling guilty in BF, IAH-FRA! Uhm..., with kids!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Feeling guilty in BF, IAH-FRA! Uhm..., with kids!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp
We plan on keeping up the kids late the day before the trip, and the whole day of the trip (no naps), so it should help put them out after about 3 hours in flight.
Over tired and sleep deprived kids can back fire on you. Airports can be stressful and you could be delayed and having a very tired cranky child could be miserable for you and those around you. Personally late night + no naps the next day could seriously work against you. Bring quiet entertainment, avoid all the sugary high sodas and I think you will have a better flight.

Would you bring over tired sleep deprived kids in economy?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Children's Benedryl.
That's all i'm saying.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I think you should do your best to prepare the kids in advance. Remind them that they're going to be in a "special" section of the airplane, and that they have to behave themselves, or else the flight attendants are going to make them sit in the back in tiny little seats.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's a wonderful thing for children to be able to experience international travel from a young age, and the class of service you travel in with them is of course your prerogative. It's always nice to see families traveling together, IMO, and the time you get to spend together is worth the handful of dirty looks you might receive from any grumpy customers.

Seat-wise, either at the front of the cabin or the back is probably the best spot, since it provides quick access to the lav (assuming it is a 764) and isolates you from most pax in the event one of the bunch gets a little ornery. Plus, the flight attendants will likely make a fuss over the kids, so placing them in closer proximity to the crew should ensure they get extra-special treatment. Rows 6/7 are served by the ISM on the 764, who usually are super pleasant, so that's a thought too, but also keep in mind that 7D is used as a pilot rest seat if the cabin does not sell out. IAH-FRA and reverse is of sufficient duration to qualify for crew rest and require an IRO, so that might be a consideration as well.

I've heard that CO does a really nice job with childrens meals in BF, so definitely order one in advance if the kids might not be too keen on the usual menu selections.

Also, Children's Benadryl is a great idea to help them sleep, especially if they get uncomfortable during the flight. It's not the flight I would be concerned about, but rather the thought of having a completely zonked child in tow all day long on the other side after a sleepless night in transit. Yikes!
Old Nov 13, 2009, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, American
I agree...

At dinner last night, my wife and I discussed this. My wife started by asking if we really wanted to deviate from our schedule, you could hear crickets! We both realized our flawed thought process. We don't do this at home, we've only noticed that the children, after not sleeping their regular schedule the night before, just crash where ever they may be at that magic time.... one time our daughter even crashed at the dinner table. We thought if we purposely intervened before the flight, we might get the same result, but we've also seen what happens when one of the kids is too tired, and won't go to sleep, and can be difficult to be pacified.

So we will not do anythnig different. They normally go to sleep at between 20:00-21:00, so this would be about 2.5 hours into the flight, but knowing they will be excited, it might go longer.

Since we will require a bassinet, we have a seat on row 1. We have selected the rows behind as well. Unfortunately (ironic to say that), the seats are 2-1-2, so we can't keep everyone on the same row. The kids are too small to be able to kick the seats in front of them, and the seats are big enoug that they'll sort of be boxed in by the seats. They all have noise cancelling headphones, and they normally watch TV quiety. They are all potty trained of course, and have been to the lavatory by themselves on previous flights. My wife is also packing some surprises to dole out in case one of them needs something new.

Originally Posted by prncess674
Over tired and sleep deprived kids can back fire on you. Airports can be stressful and you could be delayed and having a very tired cranky child could be miserable for you and those around you. Personally late night + no naps the next day could seriously work against you. Bring quiet entertainment, avoid all the sugary high sodas and I think you will have a better flight.

Would you bring over tired sleep deprived kids in economy?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; Nov 13, 2009 at 8:49 am
Old Nov 13, 2009, 8:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We have four children, 6,4,2 and an infant who will be four months on the day of the trip. I'm not worried about the infant, she will sleep the whole trip. It's not the six year old, she's well mannered and disciplined. The 2 year old is also well behaved, does not cause problems.... it's the 4 year old, my son whom I fear... when his sisters call him a knucklehead sometimes, well you know. In all seriousness though, he is wel behaved, but he does get excited and talks loud sometimes until he is reminded to use his "inner voice".
Since we will require a bassinet, we have a seat on row 1. We have selected the rows behind as well. Unfortunately (ironic to say that), the seats are 2-1-2, so we can't keep everyone on the same row. The kids are too small to be able to kick the seats in front of them, and the seats are big enoug that they'll sort of be boxed in by the seats.
It is hard to stay all in one row due to the seating arrangement, 2-1-2, so I got two rows of 2, and I will sit in the middle... a hall monitor if you will.
Based on that situation I would personally split up the kids. Put wife, bassinet, and 2 year old in row one with wife on the aisle. Place Dad and possibly poor behaving 4 year old behind in row 2, that way Dad can police him. 6 year old well behaved little lady can sit in the middle single seat. Kids tend to play off each other and being boxed in by a parent can control them and if they aren't constantly given freedom of access it should help.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Based on that situation I would personally split up the kids. Put wife, bassinet, and 2 year old in row one with wife on the aisle. Place Dad and possibly poor behaving 4 year old behind in row 2, that way Dad can police him. 6 year old well behaved little lady can sit in the middle single seat. Kids tend to play off each other and being boxed in by a parent can control them and if they aren't constantly given freedom of access it should help.
SOunds good. And little miss 6 year old will have the freedom of going into the galley when she wants and asking for something to drink or just to chat with the FAs.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hughw
SOunds good. And little miss 6 year old will have the freedom of going into the galley when she wants and asking for something to drink or just to chat with the FAs.
She is still seated across from both parents who are seated on the aisle. In the original scenario the 6 year old was seated next to a behavior problem 4 year old while Dad sat alone. How is that a better scenario?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Quote:

She is still seated across from both parents who are seated on the aisle. In the original scenario the 6 year old was seated next to a behavior problem 4 year old while Dad sat alone. How is that a better scenario?
It sounds like you thought I was disagreeing by sarcastically saying the 6 year old had freedom, etc. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I think having the 6 year old sitting across the aisle is a great idea. And I was adding that I thought she would enjoy it also.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by channa
You have every right to buy whatever ticket you want, and you're being prudent as a parent by trying to minimize disruption to others.

I say kudos to you. Not all parents are that considerate. ^
i agree but i would take it one step further. unless the vacation is to see family, my 6,4,2 and infant do not need to go on vacation. pawn them off on someone and you go and relax. it sounds like you have your hands full.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like you thought I was disagreeing by sarcastically saying the 6 year old had freedom, etc. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I think having the 6 year old sitting across the aisle is a great idea. And I was adding that I thought she would enjoy it also.
I agree with you -- I think there's a good chance she'll think it's really neat that she has her own seat all by itself. (Or she may be upset that she has to sit alone, I guess it depends on the child'd disposition).
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Children's Benedryl.
That's all i'm saying.
go for it OP - but just one word of advice on the Benedryl. For some kids, it may backfire on you and make them more wild. If you've never given it to them, I wouldnt try it for the first time on an airplane, not knowing the result.

Also - I find that the parents that know going in that they will have to entertain their kids are often the ones with the least problems. Whether that means bringing their games, coloring books, favorite toy, etc or that you personally are keeping their attention by talking to them and responding to their questions, the other passengers will much better off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.