CO37 EWR-MCO Food? (afternoon flight)

Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by ssullivan
So every flight in F should get a meal, regardless of length, or time of day?
YES. If the plane has a first class cabin, the flight is long enough to serve some food. Something beyond a $0.10 bag of pretzels should be offered -- even just the cold snack plate
For the record, I've never seen those pretzels "thrown" at a passenger. are usually offered off a tray, with a beverage served in a real glass.
figuratively "thrown", not literally.

As for the "normal consumer," they're not in F. If they were, the ratio of F/Y seats would be the opposite of what it is.
Not talking about Y customers...

I fly in CO F all the time. It's extremely rare that I see someone complain about a lack of a meal on a 1.5-1.75 hour flight that's completely outside of normal mealtimes. And more often than not, the non-FT member "normal consumer" I see in domestic F is surprised when a meal is served on a flight of that length during a meal time.
Just because *you* haven't seen people complain doesn't mean they're not unhappy about it. You're one person and your experiences can hardly be considered representative of the whole. (that said, I realize mine are too)

Bottom line: If I pay $800+ for a ticket I expect to have the option of something more substantial than pretzels given to me....regardless of flight length. Maybe I eat it, maybe I don't, but the incremental cost isn't that much and it makes the airline look stingy by not doing so.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Bottom line: If I pay $800+ for a ticket I expect to have the option of something more substantial than pretzels given to me....regardless of flight length. Maybe I eat it, maybe I don't, but the incremental cost isn't that much and it makes the airline look stingy by not doing so.
Good luck finding an airline in the US that meets your needs and desires.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
....Bottom line: If I pay $800+ for a ticket I expect to have the option of something more substantial than pretzels given to me....regardless of flight length. Maybe I eat it, maybe I don't, but the incremental cost isn't that much and it makes the airline look stingy by not doing so.
I'd save the $600 and bring your own victuals on board to enjoy at your leisure. I love CO's soup and sandwich as much as the next guy, but it's not worth *that* much. If your flight is leaving outside the published meal hours or route length, just bring something on board. At least those pretzels are usually served with professionalism and a smile, which is more than I can say for some of the competition.

Plus I'd rather strip naked and swim in a giant pool of Continental's cheese soup before 'dining' again on the dried out "Michele Bernstein" crap that Delta served me in F on a recent transcon.

Continental Meals at Mealtime is still head and shoulders over what just about every other airline in the US serves on its domestic routes. Try asking for a second pack of cookies on jetBlue and see what happens to you.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'd save the $600 and bring your own victuals on board to enjoy at your leisure. I love CO's soup and sandwich as much as the next guy, but it's not worth *that* much. If your flight is leaving outside the published meal hours or route length, just bring something on board. At least those pretzels are usually served with professionalism and a smile, which is more than I can say for some of the competition.

Plus I'd rather strip naked and swim in a giant pool of Continental's cheese soup before 'dining' again on the dried out "Michele Bernstein" crap that Delta served me in F on a recent transcon.

Continental Meals at Mealtime is still head and shoulders over what just about every other airline in the US serves on its domestic routes. Try asking for a second pack of cookies on jetBlue and see what happens to you.
DL's domestic F food is generally pretty bleah. I've had some salads recently that were decent, but then there was also the sandwich on FCA-ATL in F that had been stored in the coat closet on the 738 on the inbound ATL-FCA flight a few hours earlier.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottom line: If I pay $800+ for a ticket I expect to have the option of something more substantial than pretzels given to me....regardless of flight length.
Sorry, but I think your expectations in this regard are unrealistic these days. If you pay $800+ for a ticket, you are entitled to expect a bigger seat and some other benefits that were mentioned above. I'm guessing that the majority of customers out there put "food" far down the priority list when it's not mealtimes, so the airlines have responded. It's not that you have no right to expect High Tea or an antipasto plate at 3pm, it's just that you're apparently in the minority, and I don't think there's much you can do about it (except BYOF).
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottom line: If I pay $800+ for a ticket I expect to have the option of something more substantial than pretzels given to me.
Why do you "expect" it on a particular flight when the airline makes clear that that flight will not have meal service under its meal service guidelines, yet you paid the $800 anyway?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.