Search

Overhead space needs more policing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Overhead space needs more policing

I was on 5 legs in the last few days, and I think a CO FA should police the overhead use on board. First, an elderly lady took up 3 spaces above, none of which could she stowe herself. I also noticed a disturbing trend where people will take the first overhead space available, as opposed to taking it back near their seat. On each flight, it led to delays because people who boarded in the final group had no overhead space in front rows, yet there was plenty of overhead space available to them back in rows 30-35
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...irst-bins.html
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
FWIW on my flight from SFO to EWR on Sunday an announcement was made at the gate during boarding that passengers should stow their luggage only in the bins above their seat. Of course everyone just did whatever they felt like anyway. Side note: One irate passenger was threatened with removal from the flight because he said it was his right to have the space above his seat and that he paid for his ticket… blah, blah, blah … and requested the FA to remove baggage so he could use his rightful space.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes, let's merge this thread with the 2nd poster's recommendation.....same discussion all over again.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes, let's merge this thread with the 2nd poster's recommendation.....same discussion all over again.
Gee, I most humbly apologize for not searching the internet to see if it has been discussed before.

Last edited by chasbondy; Jun 9, 2009 at 7:55 am Reason: spullin
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:47 am

It's annoying when people take up the space above your seat for their luggage. I insist that the FA make room for mine above me. When I check in they always ask me if I've left my bags unattended......I want my bags near me at all times.....just complying with the rules
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Policeman

I was on a flight where someone told someone(not a FA)where they had to put their stuff. They were politely told they could not direct people where to put their stuff.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Member

I'd love it if they'd start enforcing a rule that your carry-on luggage needs to be stowed near your seat. Unfortunately, I don't think that's likely to happen; FAs have lots of other stuff they're worrying about during boarding, plus many of them don't seem to like enforcing carry-on rules.

I'd also like it if they'd start charging for carry-ons the same way they charge for checked bags (free for elites and their companions, first class, etc.). That'd cut back on the number of carry-ons, so there wouldn't be the battle for space that there is now. And since the airlines have done so well with the checked-bag fee, this change seems like one that might actually happen.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by leiserom
I was on a flight where someone told someone(not a FA)where they had to put their stuff. They were politely told they could not direct people where to put their stuff.
I've made this exact remark to folks who choose the first available space rather than near their own seat, and the results are never "productive"!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Gee, I most humbly apologize for not searching the internet to see if it has been discussed before.
That's ok - we all make mistakes
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:15 am

1) please merge or close

2) I'd hate to be the poor FA whose job was to police the bins. Not only will this mean a slower boarding, can you imagine how everyone will respond to the poor FA "policing" the bins? Ridiculous idea.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by chasbondy
I don't think I've ever seen this side of chasbondy before.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat,Priority Club Plat
I know when I board my flight I always look at the size of the carryons as well as how many each person has. I specify in my announcements that 1 overhead bin above your head is shared by 9 customers on board the aircraft and any smaller items such as coats, purses and smaller items to utilize the room underneath the seat in front of you. Most of the time it works. Just my two cents.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingalien
I don't think I've ever seen this side of chasbondy before.
Dont think for a moment that was a sincere effort on my part
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:42 am

[QUOTE=jpinperth;11878365]I insist that the FA make room for mine above me. QUOTE]

Definitely the BEST way to make new friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.