Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Window Shade Have to be Down in Exit Row Embraer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Elite Platinum

I was a on CO Express flight today, an RJ145 sitting in the coveted 12A exit row seat. Prior to take off the flight attendant demanded that I raise the window shade for take and landing.

Considering it was mid-afternoon and the sun was shining directly on my seat this was a tad uncomfortable. I didnt argue the situation, but I have never heard this request/demand before.

Was this just an over zealous, unknowledgable flight attendant or is this an actual rule?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Have to be able to see outside in an emergency to see if the exit path is clear of debris, fire or other hazards. Not unreasonable at all.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Was it a Chautauqua ERJ-145, or an ExpressJet ERJ-145? On Chautauqua-operated flights they always ask that all window shades be open for takeoff and landing. On ExpressJet I've never had a flight attendant that cared one way or the other.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold :-( KLM Gold HH Diamond
Yes, raising the shade is an important and easy to administer safety measures. Not a bad thing to do in any aircraft, esp for a very minor inconvenience of getting sun in one's eyes for a few minutes.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:38 pm

A lot of airlines ask you to raise the shades on all windows for take off and landing. This is usually done after push back because you are not taking off and landing at the gate. On a few flights the FAs asked that the shades be closed as we pulled into the gate to permit the plane remain cooler.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by DSA-IAH
I was a on CO Express flight today, an RJ145 sitting in the coveted 12A exit row seat. Prior to take off the flight attendant demanded that I raise the window shade for take and landing.

Considering it was mid-afternoon and the sun was shining directly on my seat this was a tad uncomfortable. I didnt argue the situation, but I have never heard this request/demand before.

Was this just an over zealous, unknowledgable flight attendant or is this an actual rule?
Did she demand or did she ask? Just curious...
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:08 am

It's NOT an FAA requirement so it's up to the individual airline. CO mainline has a policy of NOT asking PAX to lower shades, ever. As far as anyone else, I don't kow.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.7 Million Miler, Hilton Diamond
On all flights in Mexico (Mexicana, Aeromexico, and other Mexican airlines) you have to leave the all shades up during take off and landing.

Last edited by Reptile; Oct 10, 2008 at 8:23 am
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Exit row not an entitlement

I've met (at a do) CO personnel whose lifelong mission, taken very seriously, is to keep us from splattering all over a tarmac someday. As rare as these events are, we owe these folks an immense debt of gratitude for keeping their focus on preventing the possibility.

It doesn't matter one twit whether keeping exit row windows open for takeoff or landing is FAA policy, CO policy, or not a policy. It makes good common sense. It is completely obvious, once one thinks about it in any light besides one's selfish needs.

Anyone who isn't willing to make the safety of the entire cabin an absolute priority over their personal whims doesn't belong in the exit row, period.

There's a conflict of interest here, using the exit row as premium real estate for golds and plats. I invariably sit in 14C on 737 transcons, and some of my fellow plats show a greater contempt for every minor rule than more typical passengers. Laptop back on a minute after takeoff, well before the "ding", cell phone on till the moment of takeoff, that sort of thing.

I am dismayed that anyone in an exit row would ask "Do I have to?" to any suggestion potentially affecting safety.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pptp
It's NOT an FAA requirement so it's up to the individual airline. CO mainline has a policy of NOT asking PAX to lower shades, ever. As far as anyone else, I don't kow.
At IAH this summer CO mainline did ask passengers to lower window shades when parking at the gate to help keep the plane cooler. But other than that they rarely make such a request, and I've never heard it on CO in regards to takeoff and landing.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by ssullivan
At IAH this summer CO mainline did ask passengers to lower window shades when parking at the gate to help keep the plane cooler. But other than that they rarely make such a request, and I've never heard it on CO in regards to takeoff and landing.
Got me on that one (that's what I get for posting at 1:08 am). It's a new initiative to try and keep the AC cooler since there are so many problems with the jetway air systems in IAH.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
Got me on that one (that's what I get for posting at 1:08 am). It's a new initiative to try and keep the AC cooler since there are so many problems with the jetway air systems in IAH.
Yep, and it's a good idea not just at IAH but everywhere else. Even with a well functioning jetway air system it keeps it cooler, which means the air conditioning can run more efficiently while the aircraft is on the ground. I'm all for the "Please close your window shades and open your air vents fully" announcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.