Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold

Edited -

Stay Safe, Fellow IAHers. This looks like it could be a bad one.

Last edited by Anglo Large Clawed Otter; Sep 11, 2008 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been waiting for this thread to show up...

I predict every single flight in/out of IAH (and all other airports within a 500-mile radius) will be canceled starting tomorrow.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
If it actually gets back up to a Category 4 storm I may start to prepare....
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann
If it actually gets back up to a Category 4 storm I may start to prepare....
My looting preparedness kit is ready.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
My looting preparedness kit is ready.
Are you preparing to loot? Or fight off the looters? Or is it a dual-purpose kit? (e.g. crowbar).

Did you loot your looting preparedness kit?

If Ike demolishes IAH will the airport be renamed the Dwight D. Eisenhower International Airport?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:06 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
The Sky! The Sky is falling!

Oh no wait, that's the Skyy in my tumbler is falling down ye' old throat.

UH has already sent out two emails within the last three hours.

Oh well, best to be prepared I guess.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belynch
Are you preparing to loot? Or fight off the looters? Or is it a dual-purpose kit? (e.g. crowbar).
I hesitate to articulate...

Originally Posted by belynch
If Ike demolishes IAH will the airport be renamed the Dwight D. Eisenhower International Airport?
If George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport is destroyed by a massive Hurricane, should they rename the rebuilt terminal after W., Chertoff, or Brownie?

Originally Posted by J.Edward
UH has already sent out two emails within the last three hours.
My work has been mum on the entire issue, my school likewise. My school is awesome at disaster preparedness. They'll likely send out an email stating: "classes may be delayed" a few hours after Ike rolls ashore as a Cat. 4, assuming the building still exists.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Anybody notice that as of several days ago Ike's "cone of uncertainty" did not include its present position?

I think Ike is going to hit Brazil.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:17 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Anybody notice that as of several days ago Ike's "cone of uncertainty" did not include its present position?

I think Ike is going to hit Brazil.
I didn't pay enough attention back in the day when we were being taught probability theory in math class. However, I find it a bit odd that the Cone of Idiocy didn't even have Houston in the mix a few days ago, but now has it dead-center. The same thing happened with Gustav. Cone of Idiocy initially showed a Florida (non-Panhandle strike), then they just widened it to include everything between Pensacola and Corpus Christi.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
It really sucks that I will have to reschedule my already-EUA'd flights through IAH on Friday.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
You guys crack me up.. Like eveyone is saying its way to early to tell but I find the tracking models interesting. Models updated daily
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Marriott
The Sky(Team Alliance) is failing?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:49 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
I you look at the projected paths for Ike and Pacific tropical storm Lowell it looks like they're gonna converge on Lubbock Texas!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Seeking advice and counsel to maximize the value of a ACT/IAH/LCH non-refundable RT DPT Wednesday PM/RTN Friday PM.

I could simply cancel now and lose a big change fee...$175??

I could wait until Wednesday afternoon and hope that one of the two legs ACT/IAH or IAH/LCH was CNXed and maybe get a full refund or full value voucher.

I could go, risk being stranded (days until the next flight, and them already fully booked), and get very windblown and wet hitchhiking home in the midst or on the edge of a big blow.

Unfortunately, I can't get Mother nature to send the storm ashore quickly enough to get the Wednesday flights CNXed

Your incomparable experience and wise counsel sought.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.