Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I wonder when CO is going to do the sensible thing and allow refunds for people who are flying in/out of IAH...

Hartmann -- the Krogers at Westheimer and Montrose has cases of water 3 for $10! Woo-Hoo!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Hartmann -- the Krogers at Westheimer and Montrose has cases of water 3 for $10! Woo-Hoo!
Thanks! I'll have to stop by there.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:19 am
Suspended

I thought CO would fly out all its planes and fly in all of its 733s & 735s, then wait for the Ins check to arrive and be rid of those planes once and for all
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I bought water last night, just a note, most of the stores around downtown are flat out
I have been through 3 hurricanes here in Louisiana. Why run out and buy bottles of water. The tap water is still safe now. Fill up bottles, empty milk jugs, empty 2 liter bottles. I keep 3 plastic 5 gallon water cooler bottles, fill them up. Sanitize them all, fill with water put a tablespoon of bleach, let it sit for an hour, dump it out and refill. (same process you use for home brewing sanitizing). Fill up your bathtub in case the you lose water pressure, use that water for washing, flushing the toilet, etc. Plenty of water now, stock up.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>>Hartmann -- the Krogers at Westheimer and Montrose has cases of water 3 for $10! Woo-Hoo! >>>>

Of course they were 3 for $5 yesterday
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Of course they were 3 for $5 yesterday

What are the chances of seeing Geraldo on the seawall in Galveston?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
If this hits Freeport as a Maximal 3/Minimal 4, IMO, the County Judge of Harris County and Mayor White will have been criminally negligent. Not even starting Mandatory Evac of Harris County zip-codes near Galveston Bay until Noon Today. By 2pm tomorrow, inland areas are expected to have 40-60mph winds, with possible hurricane-force winds at the coast. Ike has TS-Force winds extending 255mi. from the center, and Hurricane-Force over 100mi. from the center, and his winds have not yet caught up to its pressure (due to Ike's massive size). Ike has presently dropped to about 945mb, which is typical Maximal 3 pressure. His rapid drop in pressure, massive expansion, and formation of a pinhole eye yesterday were all characteristics seen in another nasty atlantic-basin storm during its explosive-growth phase - Wilma.

Stay safe, fellow Houstonians. I hope Ike stays away or diminishes, but it isn't looking good at the moment.

Myself, I'm boarding a flight to BNA in 20 mins.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
If this hits Freeport as a Maximal 3/Minimal 4, IMO, the County Judge of Harris County and Mayor White will have been criminally negligent. Not even starting Mandatory Evac of Harris County zip-codes near Galveston Bay until Noon Today.
This isn't new orleans, it's not Katrina, and we don't live below sea level. Citizens in Harris county are intelligent enough to know when to evacuate even if a mandatory evacuation order has not been issued.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
This isn't new orleans, it's not Katrina, and we don't live below sea level. Citizens in Harris county are intelligent enough to know when to evacuate even if a mandatory evacuation order has not been issued.
Well, while I agree with you partially it will be interesting to see if the roads get clogged this afternoon when people start leaving work. I do think that the judge and Mayor were being a little to careful here. I am irritated at CO for not making any announcements to employees regarding plans on ceasing IAH ops, but I think that will soon change after the 9AM company conference call this morning. People in Houston are no doubt intelligent but they tend on waiting for more word from county leadership before acting. But we will see.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
My parents and most of my extended family are down in the Angleton area; they're getting stuff together to bug out right now, looks like Sugar Land is their destination.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by coairtul
Well, while I agree with you partially it will be interesting to see if the roads get clogged this afternoon when people start leaving work. I do think that the judge and Mayor were being a little to careful here. I am irritated at CO for not making any announcements to employees regarding plans on ceasing IAH ops, but I think that will soon change after the 9AM company conference call this morning. People in Houston are no doubt intelligent but they tend on waiting for more word from county leadership before acting. But we will see.
They did say the contra-flow wouldn't start until tomorrow. The mayor did try to remind people that most, if not all, of everyone living inland (i'll just go ahead and say everyone north of hobby) will be just fine. The wind will blow, power will go out, but unless IKE parks itself over Houston like Allison, we won't have major flooding. The galveston people are accustomed to worrying about hurricanes, and from everything I'm watching on the news, they are leaving.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coairtul
The office here is freaking out.

Look, we're above the surge level in Houston proper, shelter in place. Trees will fall, power will go out, but it's going to be alright. Leave the roads clear for people who need to actually get out of harms way.

And AEPilot posted almost the exact same thing... weird...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by skydiva44
Evidently others are feeling the same, the major warehouse store last night was packed and I saw the things that were being purchased.
(OT hat on here)
If you're talking about costco....its always packed in the afternoon and evenings . Man, I miss the days when I was in school and could go at 10AM or 2PM on a weekday before the masses arrived...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Outlawbrew
I have been through 3 hurricanes here in Louisiana. Why run out and buy bottles of water. The tap water is still safe now. Fill up bottles, empty milk jugs, empty 2 liter bottles. I keep 3 plastic 5 gallon water cooler bottles, fill them up. Sanitize them all, fill with water put a tablespoon of bleach, let it sit for an hour, dump it out and refill. (same process you use for home brewing sanitizing). Fill up your bathtub in case the you lose water pressure, use that water for washing, flushing the toilet, etc. Plenty of water now, stock up.
Well, the bottles of water are for consumption. I do not have a lot of storage space to keep water cooler bottles.

I will definitely heed the advice of filling up the bathtub.

I've bought a lot of hot dogs, soup, bread, and peanut butter & jelly.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
The office here is freaking out.

Look, we're above the surge level in Houston proper, shelter in place. Trees will fall, power will go out, but it's going to be alright. Leave the roads clear for people who need to actually get out of harms way.

And AEPilot posted almost the exact same thing... weird...
I agree, I am stayin put right here in the Galleria area with my water and food but for some reason I am just wondering if everyone will do that. On the other hand I work friday night at the airport so I might just be enclosed in IAH which I did during Rita also, so no worries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.