Search

Elite upgrade and downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Elite upgrade and downgrade?

Hi

I was flying on a Economy ticket from BOS to EWR beginning of last week.

On Friday the week before, I received an email, saying I have been upgraded. Upon checking in I got a Y seat and was told that no one knew about my upgrade. On board the plane a different person was then asked to come to First class.

Is it common that elite upgrades are being revoked?

Thanks
FeM
Old May 25, 2009, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

The only time that it should have happened (outside of you changing your itinerary) is if there was an equipment swap to a plane with less FC seats. Do you know if this happened? If it did, they will downgrade people in reverse order of the upgrades (silvers first, golds next, plats next, then Y/B ups) before bumping anyone from a paid F ticket and compensating them.

If this didn't happen, I'd send an email to Continental asking for an explanation. If that doesn't give you what you want, you might want to contact CO Insider to look into the issue. However, I'd go through the "normal" Continental steps before involving him.
Old May 25, 2009, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The only time that it should have happened (outside of you changing your itinerary) is if there was an equipment swap to a plane with less FC seats. Do you know if this happened? If it did, they will downgrade people in reverse order of the upgrades (silvers first, golds next, plats next, then Y/B ups) before bumping anyone from a paid F ticket and compensating them.

If this didn't happen, I'd send an email to Continental asking for an explanation. If that doesn't give you what you want, you might want to contact CO Insider to look into the issue. However, I'd go through the "normal" Continental steps before involving him.
Thanks for the advise.

I don't know anything about an equipment change. The plane sure left on time. I will send them an email.

Best
FeM
Old May 25, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Since when? I thought that if your seat was missing (e.g. row 4) on the new flight, then you were downgraded regardless of status/fare. It used to be like that. Did it change? I always try to get a seat in the first three rows to protect against possible equipment downgrades.
Old May 25, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: CO plat
upgrade email that wasn't

Happened to me recently too. I was on the upgrade waitlist (using miles) and saw a few empty F seats on the seat map not long before check in opened. At T-24 I got an EUA email saying I was upgraded - based on status, not miles. Hmmm. I then noticed that I still had a Y seat, so I called CO for my seat assignment and was told the EUA email was a 'mistake' and should not have been sent. No further explanation. At the gate I was told that my upgrade had not cleared. ....
Old May 25, 2009, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyer737
Since when? I thought that if your seat was missing (e.g. row 4) on the new flight, then you were downgraded regardless of status/fare. It used to be like that. Did it change? I always try to get a seat in the first three rows to protect against possible equipment downgrades.
I got seat 2A per email and that was certainly still an F seat...
Old May 25, 2009, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Thanks for the advise.

I don't know anything about an equipment change. The plane sure left on time. I will send them an email.

Best
FeM
Do you have the original itinerary email from CO? That will have the originally scheduled equipment for the plane (assuming it's the same type as when you got the email on Friday). And do you remember how many rows of FC were on your actual plane?

Originally Posted by Flyer737
I'd seen it once where they just moved everyone from the last row of F to Y, but that's been a few years. It was just a few weeks ago where I had them do it the "right way" (at least in my opinion). It might just be GA option/discretion, but hopefully the protocol and normal way to do things is to downgrade in reverse order of the UG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.