Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled? How to find out why?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by sfogate
SONIC is the internal computer system the CO agents use.
Is SONIC an acronym for something? Maybe we should start a New Year's thread guessing what S.O.N.I.C. could mean!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psubill78
No, the problem is that they schedule flights that they have little chance of following through with. Don't schedule 100+ flights an hour landing at EWR if it can't be supported unless it's a pristine day.

Don't advertise and sell flights you can't push through. Planes land in clouds all the time. It's not a weather issue, it's a scheduling issue.
Unfair comment!! It is a weather-related cancelation. We can whine and moan all we like about scheduling, but CO isn't to blame: we are. The reason that CO schedules so many flights is a response to the market: us. If there are customers that don't like it, driving, Amtrak, or other airports are options. Scheduling is market driven; I want CO to respond to the market, not act like a nanny!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Unfair comment!! It is a weather-related cancelation. We can whine and moan all we like about scheduling, but CO isn't to blame: we are. The reason that CO schedules so many flights is a response to the market: us. If there are customers that don't like it, driving, Amtrak, or other airports are options. Scheduling is market driven; I want CO to respond to the market, not act like a nanny!
Sorry, I see it quite differently. If they know their schedule requires a perfect day in EWR, it's a ridiculous assumption to begin with. Once you get above 85% of the rated capacity of anything, your capacity to deal with even the slightest perturbation disappears. I'm sure the operations people at CO know this. But their treadmill has them scheduling more and more. Eventually you tick customers off enough that they balk.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:25 pm

Cleveland was due to get hit today fairly hard with snow and 40 knot winds. Airline pre-cancelled flights in anticipation of CLE being affected.....which affects flights throughout the system. The TPA-EWR flight you reference might have been on a 737 that was coming in from CLE.....or from EWR/IAH that at an earlier point was transitting CLE. The impact on 1 or 2 cancellations will affect several flights 'downline' throughout the day......aircraft/pilots/flight attendants/etc.....

Passengers don't want to be stranded on a tarmac for 5 hours. This is one of the pro-active ways to prevent that from happening.

DRW
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_plat
Sorry, I see it quite differently. If they know their schedule requires a perfect day in EWR, it's a ridiculous assumption to begin with. Once you get above 85% of the rated capacity of anything, your capacity to deal with even the slightest perturbation disappears. I'm sure the operations people at CO know this. But their treadmill has them scheduling more and more. Eventually you tick customers off enough that they balk.
So what! Even with delays and cancelations, passengers keep coming back. CO is listening (and responding) to the market.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:43 pm

So what! Even with delays and cancelations, passengers keep coming back. CO is listening (and responding) to the market.
Responding? By stuffing even more flights into EWR and worsening the problem? That's some response.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_plat
Responding? By stuffing even more flights into EWR and worsening the problem? That's some response.
What's the other option: underutilizing the airport during good weather! One can groan and whine all one likes, but passengers are willing to tolerate the status quo.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:05 pm

What's the other option: underutilizing the airport during good weather! One can groan and whine all one likes, but passengers are willing to tolerate the status quo.
On the first point: Yes...That's how it's done.
On the second point: We shall see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.