Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 18, 07, 9:27 am   #1

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Continental OnePass, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Pictures of carry-on luggage attached...will this be allowed on board?

I am flying CO next month EWR-LAS and because of the great advice on FlyerTalk bought a couple of pieces at Costco:

1. Kirkland Exectutive roller 22" (22 x 14 x 9...45" linear)
2. Kirland Deluxe 19" Weekender (19 x 9 x 12...40" linear)

I know separately these would each work but the Weekender has a strap on the rear of the bad that slides down the handle of the Executive roller. Here are pics of the Weekender and the Weekender/Executive combo:

(Could not post the image since images are turned off in this forum but the link will take you to the picture)

I am curious if I can bring BOTH on board. I know CO allows one Carry-on and one personal item (laptop bag, purse, etc.) I am hoping the Weekender could be considered a personal item! I will be keeping my laptop along with some other stuff in the Weekender. Fits more than just my laptop sling bag.

Do you think I will be able to get both on board without checking one or the other?

Thanks,

Marc
Old Oct 18, 07, 9:32 am   #2

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I know from personal experience that if you are flying FC they tend to be more leniant on the rules but if you in coach I think they won't make a problem about it. Most of the times, the FAs do not even notice. Be sure to board early to find storage space.
Old Oct 18, 07, 9:54 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-1K/MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Sling the weekender bag on your shoulder and behind your back as you're boarding and you should get by .
Old Oct 18, 07, 12:29 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a twisty little maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO & NW forum moderator emeritus
CO won't care. It's the TSA folks who will count the number of items you have and prevent you from bringing more than two through the checkpoint.
Old Oct 18, 07, 12:44 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Treo 650: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I'll be the first to say it then, but why can't you pack less? People trying to get two maxi sized bags on-board is the reason the bins fill up before everyone is boarded.

An additional rolling bag isn't just stretching the "personal item" definition but tearing right through it.
Old Oct 18, 07, 12:53 pm   #6

Programs: Marriott plat, DeltaMM
I'm afraid I second the above post. Advice to get on the plane early in order to inconvenience your fellow passengers is just plain (plane ) wrong. I am often a rule-bender when the bending doesn't materially/adversely affect others, but in this instance, it does. I can't blame you for wanting to bring everything on board - we all try to do that as often as possible - but don't do it to the detriment of your fellow travelers.
Old Oct 18, 07, 1:28 pm   #7

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
many years ago.....

I recall reading an incident about carry-on size restrictions from the pre-9/11 era. As part of CO's official policy, if a passenger could bring it on the aircraft, it could count as a carry-on (I am not commenting on pros and cons of the policy). Because CO started installing extended overhead bins earlier than other airlines, they used this flexibility as an enticement for passengers.

At IAD, UA installed baggage-sizing equipment at the shared security check-points that restricted the size of CO passenger carry-on baggage. CO sued because the equipment prevented them from competing by offering less stringent carry-on regulations. IIRC, CO prevailed!
Old Oct 18, 07, 3:32 pm   #8

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Continental OnePass, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Treo 650: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I'll be the first to say it then, but why can't you pack less? People trying to get two maxi sized bags on-board is the reason the bins fill up before everyone is boarded.

An additional rolling bag isn't just stretching the "personal item" definition but tearing right through it.
I can understand your sentiment but calling these two bags "maxi sized" is stretching it a bit. The rolling suitcase is a 22" case designed to carry-on and the duffel bag is NOT rolling but is only 40 linear inches so it is small as well.

I normally check a suitcase but have grown tired of waiting for the carousel after the flight. It seemed that these two carry-on bags offered a great solution!
Old Oct 18, 07, 3:46 pm   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have to echo the comments above that you'll get away with it, but you shouldn't. You're planning on bringing on 2 bags, not one + a briefcase/backpack/purse.

Don't be that guy.
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:03 pm   #10

Two recent flights I had were flagrant examples of this type of pax...even the FA's were commenting about the kind/quantity of luggage being brought on. One woman literally had a huge black plastic trash bag for her luggage...no doubt her luggage had broken, but it was overflowing (think large yard cleanup bag) and torn!! Unbelievable. Try downsizing what you take with you...obviously if you're wearing 3 piece suits, you're probably not trying to do carryon; but maybe you could trim it down and get a laptop case that will hold a few small extras (mine even has rollers and a pull handle hidden away) and fits perfectly under the seat. The weekender just seems over the top ... you'll probably get by with it, but if I were on the flight I'd hope you got it under the seat and not try to put 2 items in the overhead. Gee...November air traffic, holiday travelers, and everybody wants to take all their stuff with them on the plane....that will be soooo fun.
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:16 pm   #11

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
I can understand your sentiment but calling these two bags "maxi sized" is stretching it a bit. The rolling suitcase is a 22" case designed to carry-on and the duffel bag is NOT rolling but is only 40 linear inches so it is small as well.

I normally check a suitcase but have grown tired of waiting for the carousel after the flight. It seemed that these two carry-on bags offered a great solution!
Sorry but that's just rationalizing. We're all checked luggage avoidant but in order for that to work everyone has to be reasonable and bring one roll-aboard and a second bag that can potentially fit under the seat. If there's bin space after everyone's boarded naturally you can put your bag overhead along with your coat, etc.

If everyone on the plane took your approach a significant number of people will end up having to gate check their bags. How would you feel if you were making a tight connection at EWR/IAH and as soon as you got to the jetway were informed that all the bins are full and you will need to check your bag.

What if it happens at your originating city and now with the tight connection there's a high chance your bag won't make it?

I would highly recommend you browse through the Travelbuzz and Tech forums on suggestions for carry-on only travel and how to reduce the amount of things you're carrying.
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:20 pm   #12

Being tired of waiting for the luggage carousel is no excuse for bringing more on board than you're supposed to. Your convenience should not encroach on my space. Just check the threads about buying an extra seat if you can't fit in one and/or the armrest hogs...same thing applies, the extra space you feel you're entitled to cuts down on the space that I have paid for, specifically room for my carryon bag. If I have to gate check because of you - which I have had to do recently more than ever, that's a benefit that I have paid for that is unavailable to me and that don't make mama happy. Either cut down on what you bring or check a bag. It's not just that it's the rule - it's common courtesy to the others on your flight. We're all in this together, whether we like it or not. My two cents, which is worth, well, about two cents, I guess.
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:30 pm   #13

Forgot to mention - your original question was whether or not you would get away with bringing both on, and the answer is undoubtedly yes. The FAs apparently don't care much about my personal space either - I've seen more stuff than you're talking about make it on the plane with one person. And then FAs complain when they have to manage a gate check situation...
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:53 pm   #14

Programs: PWP Sergeant-at-Arms of The Red Watch
When flights are empty, no one cares what you drag on as long as it fits. But when your flight is full, everyone cares. Be prepared to check one or both of your bags....those overhead bins can't fit everyone's one bag.
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:59 pm   #15

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, AA EXP, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2travelfar View Post
if I were on the flight I'd hope you got it under the seat and not try to put 2 items in the overhead.
I think this statement by 2travelfar is a great way to approach the question - if you want to bring two items on board, plan on putting one overhead and having one at your feet.