Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 27, 07, 3:09 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Posts: 827
Drive time from Paramus, NJ to EWR?

I'm posting this on the Continental board as I figured it was my best chance of getting a large concentration of people familiar w/ EWR. (I am not.)
I have business in Paramus, NJ (near Oradell & Forest). How long, realisitically would you allow to get to Newark from there? The map shows it to be 27 miles / 40 minutes. It's been a LONG time since I was there, but I seem to remember heavy, heavy traffic.

If you were leaving Paramus at 2:30 pm on a business day, how long would you allow to get to EWR, return a car and clear security for a Continental flight? (I have my choice of several evening departures and am trying to see which one I could easily make)
__________________
K
kathnunley is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 3:20 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Programs: CO Silver
Posts: 229
I looked on Yahoo maps and it said 24.4 miles and 35 minutes. Basically the same as your map. The directions it gave were via the Garden State Parkway. I could be wrong but I would take 17 south to 80 east to the Turnpike south, I think it would be quicker.
Noanker1 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 3:21 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern NJ
Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathnunley View Post
I'm posting this on the Continental board as I figured it was my best chance of getting a large concentration of people familiar w/ EWR. (I am not.)
I have business in Paramus, NJ (near Oradell & Forest). How long, realisitically would you allow to get to Newark from there? The map shows it to be 27 miles / 40 minutes. It's been a LONG time since I was there, but I seem to remember heavy, heavy traffic.

If you were leaving Paramus at 2:30 pm on a business day, how long would you allow to get to EWR, return a car and clear security for a Continental flight? (I have my choice of several evening departures and am trying to see which one I could easily make)
I actually happen to live in the town next to Paramus and it takes me about 40 minutes. In the middle of the day, there should be no traffic so 40 minutes is a good estimate.
vdostoi1 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 3:23 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern NJ
Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noanker1 View Post
I looked on Yahoo maps and it said 24.4 miles and 35 minutes. Basically the same as your map. The directions it gave were via the Garden State Parkway. I could be wrong but I would take 17 south to 80 east to the Turnpike south, I think it would be quicker.
I disagree - the quickest way is the Parkway South to exit 157 and then Rt. 46 to Rt. 21 South which ends at the airport. Although you hit the traffic downtown Newark (because of traffic lights) it should be very light during the day. That is what I do just about every other week when I go to EWR.
vdostoi1 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 3:25 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Programs: CO Silver
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
I disagree - the quickest way is the Parkway South to exit 157 and then Rt. 46 to Rt. 21 South which ends at the airport. Although you hit the traffic downtown Newark (because of traffic lights) it should be very light during the day. That is what I do just about every other week when I go to EWR.
I'll defer to you. You live next to Paramus, I'm in Closter.
Noanker1 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 3:51 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,197
For out of towners, we found that 17 south > I80 > 95 South > EWR is less confusing for those without GPS. There is a little airplane icon next to the roads you need to take.

At 2:30 you shouldn't hit traffic unless there is some problem. I would check http://maps.google.com for highway traffic if you have time.
Tummy is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 6:31 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: UA, DL
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
I disagree - the quickest way is the Parkway South to exit 157 and then Rt. 46 to Rt. 21 South which ends at the airport. Although you hit the traffic downtown Newark (because of traffic lights) it should be very light during the day. That is what I do just about every other week when I go to EWR.
RT 21 has lots of trafic and lots of lights. I would not use it.

Last edited by fly2w; Jun 27, 07 at 6:36 pm.. Reason: typo
fly2w is offline  
Old Jun 27, 07, 7:04 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2w View Post
RT 21 has lots of trafic and lots of lights. I would not use it.
I use 21 each time I drive to EWR, usually 3 or 4 times a month. Even though there are a lot of lights, it seems to be the fastest way. I am about 15 minutes further than Paramus, and I leave an hour to get to the airport.
climbermom is offline  
Old Jun 28, 07, 12:41 am   #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suburban Philadelphia
Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 2,038
Isn't Rt. 21 McCarter Hwy? I'd avoid it if I could. You can get hung up in those lights for awhile...........
Cargojon is offline  
Old Jun 28, 07, 7:19 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern NJ
Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
Isn't Rt. 21 McCarter Hwy? I'd avoid it if I could. You can get hung up in those lights for awhile...........
Yeah, in the AM but not at 2:30 in the afternoon...
vdostoi1 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 07, 11:06 am   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: EWR-N.Haledon NJ
Programs: CO Platinum
Posts: 1,124
17 S - 3 East - NJTPK South - Exit 14
Why use 21? The lights and traffic in Newark don't make it worth it.

This way = about 30-35 minutes
Russell745 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 07, 11:14 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a twisty little maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO & NW forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 25,092
You could also do GSP south to 78 [east]to EWR. 17 south to 3 east to the NJTPK south works too. They are all pretty quick and painless. I've gone all of these routes. It all depends on traffic and at 2:30pm they should all be fine. I'd allow just over an hour to drive, return the car and get to the security checkpoint.

I often take Rt.21 but that is almost definitely not the fastest way.
__________________
May the four winds blow you safely home ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
I support meaningless jingoistic clichés Frequent Flyer Giving

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 29, 07 at 7:16 am.. Reason: Whoops!
Xyzzy is online now  
Old Jun 28, 07, 12:15 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: EWR
Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Silver, HHonors, Alaska Airlines
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
You could also do GSP south to 78 west to EWR. 17 south to 3 east to the NJTPK south works too. They are all pretty quick and painless. I've gone all of these routes. It all depends on traffic and at 2:30pm they should all be fine. I'd allow just over an hour to drive, return the car and get to the security checkpoint.

I often take Rt.21 but that is almost definitely not the fastest way.
Careful, it is actually 78 EAST, and not an easy connection (yet) from GSP south. You first need to go take 78 West for two miles to he first exit, and then U-Turn back to 78 East. If you exit GSP South one or two exits early, there are local roads in Irvington that connect to 78 East. Eventually, there will be a direct ramp from GSP south to 78 East. (Garden State Bowl in Union has shut down for this ramp to be built. As if bowling alleys in NJ don't have enough problems trying to stay open, but that is another website.)
__________________
Fondly reminiscing about my recently expired temporary elite status with CO/UA (though mostly with CO).
JohnneeO is offline  
Old Jun 28, 07, 6:39 pm   #14
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K, SPG gold, HH Gold
Posts: 327
have a map and listen to the radio...

A couple of months ago I spent about 3 hours getting from Paramus to EWR - sudden thunderstorm flooded everything... I would give myself more than an hour, just in case...
smartinez is offline  
Old Jun 28, 07, 7:46 pm   #15
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnneeO View Post
Careful, it is actually 78 EAST, and not an easy connection (yet) from GSP south. You first need to go take 78 West for two miles to he first exit, and then U-Turn back to 78 East. If you exit GSP South one or two exits early, there are local roads in Irvington that connect to 78 East. Eventually, there will be a direct ramp from GSP south to 78 East. (Garden State Bowl in Union has shut down for this ramp to be built. As if bowling alleys in NJ don't have enough problems trying to stay open, but that is another website.)

I always go this way and it's marked and the instructions above tell you where to pay extra attention. Sure is fast on the way back. If you have EZ pass you save some time too.

msv
__________________
My FM
msv is offline  
 
 
 

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:26 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.