Europeans and continental.com?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 6:57 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Europeans and continental.com?!

Hi,

most european residents are not supposed to use continental.com!

HOW will they be able to get the 100% EQM in 2004?

------------------
Viele Grüße

Oliver
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:05 am

Why wouldn't you be able to use it?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:25 am
Original Member
Original Poster

It says : "For US residents ONLY!"

------------------
Viele Grüße

Oliver
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:18 am

At the bottom of CO's web page there is a icon for worldwide sites. Try that.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Since the original poster is in Germany and there is no Germany option I guess CO doesn't want this person's patronage.

I note that the UK site offers those who are not Onepass mebers the opportunity to "Enrol now" [sic].

I wonder if the different "sites" offer different prices as well?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:41 am

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Germanfflyer:
most european residents are not supposed to use continental.com!

HOW will they be able to get the 100% EQM in 2004?
</font>
When you buy your ticket offline, make sure that it is NOT a Q,I,S,W,T,X,L fare, otherwise you will only get 50% EQM!

Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:57 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Maybe the 50% rule does not apply to European Onepass members? After all, we do currently get a 50% extra bonus when flying BF , which is not mentioned in the general pages either. I wonder what will happen to that next year?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Even though I can use continental.com as a UK resident, if I book a domestic US itinerary, it will still charge me full taxes... which are waived if you supply the ticket number for your transatlantic fare if you book with a travel agent or even Travelocity. I do realize that even so I'm in a better situation than OnePass members from other European countries. It just goes to show what a fiasco these changes are, and what an inadequate cop-out the continental.com exception is. I mean, they haven't even figured out yet what to do with flights on European partners such as KLM, Air Europe, or flybe! No wonder it took me 30 attempts to fax the United comp number yesterday - the line was contantly busy....

[This message has been edited by Passmethesickbag (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:47 pm

The problem is purely technically! The pricing engines that many airlines use must have a point of sale indicator so that the correct availabity is displayed and the correct charges are charged. Fares are not the same eastbound as they are westbound. The computers at traditional agencies are programmed w/ a country of origin indicator whereas it is somewhat more difficult to do that if it is web based. Same reason why those of us here in the US are not able to purchase products via the web in many other countries. As the world of web purchasing evolves so will the ability to purchase products worldwide. STAY TUNED!
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Passmethesickbag:
Even though I can use continental.com as a UK resident, if I book a domestic US itinerary, it will still charge me full taxes... which are waived if you supply the ticket number for your transatlantic fare if you book with a travel agent or even Travelocity.</font>
Which taxes are you exempt from and why?

Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:11 am
Original Member
Original Poster

You save part of the taxes when you connect to a domestic flight from an intenational flight as they are already paid by the international arrival tax

------------------
Viele Grüße

Oliver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.