Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking Lounge at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Another reason to fly NW vs. CO. There are smoking rooms in the Worldperk Clubs at DTW and MSP. Also, Atlanta has smoking rooms by some gates if you fly Delta. If you want full Y fare customers you might have to take care of their nasty habbits too.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
Good place for a smoke between flights. Got my nicotine fix & didn't get caught. &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt;

Yes, I broke the rules, but there has to be a way to accommodate smokers without making them pass through security again.
</font>
Mary, the rules may suck if you're a smoker, but they is what they is. I personally think that airport bars should allow smoking (booze and cigarettes go hand in hand, even for nonsmokers), but most do not. Still, while I appreciate your need for a date with Mr. Nick (I'm generally a nonsmoker, except sometimes when I'm in a bar, since drinking and smoking go hand in hand, in case you didn't know), doing it in the bathroom was not, with all due respect, too cool.

Okay. I got that off my chest. Now let's get people like Mike Bloomberg out of office so that you don't have to sneak around in bathrooms for a cigarette (he's the reason why Harry closed his bar at Hanover Sqare, you know).

Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SJU Abogado:
Mary, the rules may suck if you're a smoker, but they is what they is. I personally think that airport bars should allow smoking (booze and cigarettes go hand in hand, even for nonsmokers), but most do not. Still, while I appreciate your need for a date with Mr. Nick (I'm generally a nonsmoker, except sometimes when I'm in a bar, since drinking and smoking go hand in hand, in case you didn't know), doing it in the bathroom was not, with all due respect, too cool.

Okay. I got that off my chest. Now let's get people like Mike Bloomberg out of office so that you don't have to sneak around in bathrooms for a cigarette (he's the reason why Harry closed his bar at Hanover Sqare, you know).

</font>
I don't disagree with you... it was not cool & I smoked that cigarette very very quickly. I don't like sneaking around, and I usually abide by smoking rules only smoking where permitted. However, the situation is difficult, and the airports CAN do something about it-they just won't. If other airports can have smoking areas, why can't this one? Or EWR for that matter.

It's ridiculous how many people I see running outside (myself included) to grab a smoke before being tortured on an 8 hour nicotine free flight.

Mary

Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
It's ridiculous how many people I see running outside (myself included) to grab a smoke before being tortured on an 8 hour nicotine free flight.</font>
It's VERY nice to be able to get on a flight and not have to worry about being seated near the smoking section for 8 hours of torture. Even worse than being in a cramped seat was the dreaded "near the smoking section" seat.

I will agree that some provision should be made to let smokers light up inside the secure area.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:20 pm

However, the situation is difficult, and the airports CAN do something about it-they just won't. If other airports can have smoking areas, why can't this one? Or EWR for that matter. </font>
You're right. It is an unfortunate situation, but the smoking lobby is not terribly strong in this age of political correctness, so you're probably going to have to continue doing what you're doing (or fly to Mexico). Good luck to you.

We better get off of this non-CO related topic before we get yelled at.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
There are several options for people addicted to nicotine. The gum and patch are good short-term solutions when one cannot smoke. The gum also helps address the oral fixation often associated with smoking behavior.

------------------
54,000 Americans died last year as a result of second-hand smoke. Kill anyone lately?

It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!

[This message has been edited by Seth (edited Nov 24, 2003).]
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SJU Abogado:
...the smoking lobby is not terribly strong in this age of political correctness...</font>
Political correctness my a$$...smoking is a dirty habit that affects those around you, creates litter, starts forest fires, and kills you. Want me to go on?

Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:23 pm
Original Member

"Copenhagen" - Just a pinch between the cheek and gum. (and a styrofoam cup)

------------------
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"
Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bonehead:
Political correctness my a$$...smoking is a dirty habit that affects those around you, creates litter, starts forest fires, and kills you. Want me to go on?

</font>
I thought lovelorn Forest Service employees start forest fires.

OnT content: DEN, which is in a timezone close to IAH, has a smoking room in terminal B, I think, which is near CO (in terminal A).
Old Nov 24, 2003, 6:21 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I try to avoid heated debates such as this but....

Though friends and family who love me would and do tell me I shouldn't smoke, I have never once had a stranger walk up to me in person and tell me it's a filthy horrible habit and I should quit. That being said, I am always amazed how quickly people will turn any smoking related question no matter how innocuous into a full blown debate and preach the evils of tobacco from behind a keyboard.

The original poster asked if there is somewhere he can partake in a legal habit at IAH, not how one feels about smoking, drinking, gambling or any other vice.

Sorry, and back to my user friendly posts
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:12 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Next time I got a long layover at Houston I'm gonna go down to 1600 Smith Street and see what the boys on the top floor are smokin'.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
OutOfOffice, well put.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:36 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I have told folks on many occasions that it's a dirty and nasty habit..and not from behind any keyboard. One thing I always wondered ...why do you say that drinking alcohol and smoking go hand in hand? I tend to have a few beers here and there....but I NEVER,EVER have even the most remote desire for one of those nasty-arse lung darts.
IMHO,smoking is a disease that needs o be treated....it causes increases in health care costs for all of us! It starts fires...even major fires. People throw them on the ground and litter the world.I could go on..and on..and on.
I also believe that it will be illegal at some point....probably not in my or your lifetime...but it will be illegal as it should be.
The fact that someone has a hard time even going a few hours without it being "torture" is ridiculous!! You shouldn't have started that dirty habit in the first place.
I'm glad to be a resident of California, where I don't have to smell your stinkin' cigarette smoke in any restaurant,bar in my state!!
Sorry for the strong conviction here....this one really gets me going ...
I may have to go get a drink now.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:46 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Seth said, "54,000 Americans died last year as a result of second-hand smoke. Kill anyone lately?"

YES! I got a whole micro-bus full of veegans the other day! I'm lurking near a juice bar lately. I'm going to wipe out some of those obnoxious Tai-Boi people next! And look out Richard Simminos you're a marked man...
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
I may have to go get a drink now. </font>
Don't forget your smokes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.