Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run Cities

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2001, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
Mileage Run Cities

I would like to know if there is a good way to find cities that have cheap same day fares. I am 1,054 miles short of Plat and need to take a quick flight. I have been plugging pairs (EWR-XXX) into Orbitz to try and find cheap fares. I am looking for a 12/8 departure and return or a late PM 12/8 arrival with an early 1 AM 12/9 departure.

Is there any good tool or way to use Dream Maps to find something like this out? Or is my hunt and peck method the way everyone else does it too?

------------------
EWR CO Gold
Old Dec 5, 2001, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Well, you mentioned Dream Maps on www.travelocity.com, that is one of the best ways I have found. Also check the mileage run forum on this board regularly. I also keep an eye on certain cities that have a history of good mile to fare ratios from where I live, using Travelocity fare watcher updates. From San Francisco area, MCO, TPA, JAX, FLL are excellent ones to keep an eye on, for example.

[This message has been edited by thesilb (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 12:20 pm

Try out of NYC as well. There is a $118 r/t to many Florida destinations out of LGA with no min. and 7 day adv.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
When you think of low fares with minimum restrictions think of cities served by Southwest Airlines. It might be worth the drive to ISP or BDL.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 2:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mlawless:
I would like to know if there is a good way to find cities that have cheap same day fares. I am 1,054 miles short of Plat and need to take a quick flight. I have been plugging pairs (EWR-XXX) into Orbitz to try and find cheap fares. I am looking for a 12/8 departure and return or a late PM 12/8 arrival with an early 1 AM 12/9 departure.

Is there any good tool or way to use Dream Maps to find something like this out? Or is my hunt and peck method the way everyone else does it too?

</font>
So you need 1000+ miles cheap with a 3-day advance? That's tricky. A lot of the good fares out of NYC now are to FL and they require a 7-advance and are only good through the 15th. You also can't do any short hops (like to BUF) since you need more than 1000 miles (though you could do 2 of them)... I spent a few minutes searching and I can't find anything good out of NYC w/o a 7-day advance. If you're more flexible (i.e. such as being able to leave on the 15th), let me know and I'll try to find something.

Here's the method I just used that I generally find successful for this type of search:

Use FareBrowser (see my sig) to do some searches (for instance, leaving from NYC and flying on CO partners) so that you can drastically narrow down the field. Then start using the E and T (Expedia and Travelocity links) on the right to start checking for more details and availability. Most of the advance and early return data is unknown ('99') in FareBrowser at this point, so don't rely on using those fields in your search. If there's a number other than 99, it's almost always correct, but if it's 99 it's unknown.

------------------
Check out FareBrowser, MileTracker, and auto promotion registration for CO and NW!
Old Dec 6, 2001, 9:16 am
Original Member

Location: Tyler, TX- Former Onepass Infinite Platinum +MM & CO * now UA-1K, Hyatt Diamond, ICH RA, Hilton HH Diamond VIP, Hertz Prez Circle, Clear Registered Traveler, BIG fan of Pre-Check
I found BDL-EWR-BWI for the dates you wanted at $157, but that will only get you over via the double miles promotion (assuming they post). You could also try ISP-BWI for $201 - the outbound is ISP-CLE-BWI, but the return is BWI-DTW-CLE-ISP and that would definitely get you over.

------------------
OnePass - Infinite Platinum
Hyatt - Diamond
Starwood - Gold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.