Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

compensation for volunteering for flight 7 hrs later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

I am on CO1880 3:45 pm flight today from Seattle to Newark and they are currently oversold by 5. At the Presidents Club I was informed that If needed they would put me on the 10:20pm flight. Is the compensation still $300 or is it a greater compensation due to the next flight being almost 7 hours later. The gate agent is not at the desk for the flight as of yet to ask.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my (somewhat) limited experience, SEA agents seem to be a little cheap in their VDB offers. They will probably start at $300 with limited willingness to go much higher unless absolutely necessary. Either way, be sure to ask about a confirmed seat in F on the later flight.

IMO, a seat up front on a transcon, $300 and a few more hours in SEA is well worth it.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
The compensation is as high as you negotiate, but I would expect them to start at $300.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by anbhc
I am on CO1880 3:45 pm flight today from Seattle to Newark and they are currently oversold by 5. At the Presidents Club I was informed that If needed they would put me on the 10:20pm flight. Is the compensation still $300 or is it a greater compensation due to the next flight being almost 7 hours later. The gate agent is not at the desk for the flight as of yet to ask.
It's a game. CO wants to get away as cheap as they can and you of course want the most you can get. $300 is a good starting point, but for a 7 hour delay I would hold out for $500. The trouble is some people hear $300 and will run to the gate and take it and don't mind spending the entire night airport. If you are interested make sure you are added to the oversale list so the agent knows. I would also look into a routing though IAH, that may save you a few hours @:-)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdm1130
In my (somewhat) limited experience, SEA agents seem to be a little cheap in their VDB offers. They will probably start at $300 with limited willingness to go much higher unless absolutely necessary. Either way, be sure to ask about a confirmed seat in F on the later flight.

IMO, a seat up front on a transcon, $300 and a few more hours in SEA is well worth it.
My experience with VDB's on transcons and long midcons is $300 or $400, and they generally will put you up front on the next available flight if you are Platinum. Sometimes, however, agents will not confirm you if there is no upgrade inventory at the time of rebooking without prodding them a bit.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

The agent in the President club has me in confirmed First (A) on the 10:20pm flight if volunteers needed.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agent in the President club has me in confirmed First (A) on the 10:20pm flight if volunteers needed.
Good. Good luck with the bump. ^
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
This past April the CO EWR - CUN flight I was on was overbooked by 5. I volunteered for the next flight which was only a 90 minute wait. The GA offered $300 plus first class. However, when he handed me the flight voucher, it was for $500.00. Not a bad deal all in all. Only a 90 minute wait, $500.00 flight voucher (paid for my SXM trip ) and first class on the next flight! Cheers and good luck!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:35 pm
Suspended

seems theres still 1 FC seat for sale so that leaves an overage of 4 only.

OP either way please let us know if you were able to get the VDB,Thanks

still if a person is #1 on the VDB list all they need is for it to be in the end over by 1

But the chances for a VDB goes down as the overage does as well

OP Good Luck

Last edited by craz; Jul 27, 2009 at 4:17 pm
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

and so the story goes... no volunteers needed. Thanks for playing.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:17 pm

and so the story goes... no volunteers needed. Thanks for playing.
Still, as the story goes, it's a good one. I'm one of those guys who goes straight to the desk every flight and volunteers to be delayed for compensation. I never even thought about requesting a FC seat, that's genius.

It once got ridiculous where they couldn't figure out how many people were checked in vs. how many were booked (weird computer glitch) and at the last minute they said they didn't need me to volunteer. Since I was the last one on from talking to the desk agents, by the time I got down the ramp to the plane, every seat was full. Turns out they miscounted a couple and they had two seats instead of one and for my trouble of walking down and up (all 5 minutes of it), they doubled the $300 to $600. Yippee!

But I'm not greedy, I rarely need to be there when my flight's scheduled to land and usually can tolerate +5 hours of reading a book or surfing on my laptop, plus I've probably racked over 8 VDB perks out of 30 flights and have never been delayed more than 6 hours.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:08 am

I'm assuming that most of the responders in mentioning $300 or $500 are not actually talking about dollars, but rather credits off future fares.

To me there is a huge difference. I hold out for cash money, which of course is my right. I rarely get called, since others are happy to take vouchers, which I hate because of retrictions, exceptions, and woefully fine print.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ronin
To me there is a huge difference. I hold out for cash money, which of course is my right. I rarely get called, since others are happy to take vouchers, which I hate because of retrictions, exceptions, and woefully fine print.
What restrictions do you find problematic?

CO vouchers are electronic, easy to redeem online, and expire in one year (ticket by 1 year, you can travel after that), hold residual value if you don't use it all, can be used to buy someone else a ticket, and are even valid on codeshares.

Basically if you're going to spend that much money on CO in the next year, they're worth their face value.

The only voucher currency that potentially has more flexibility are DL Dollars since you can combine multiple vouchers.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
I always add when I volunteer "I'll take the $xxx or the highest amount you pay anyone else who volunteers, whichever is greate and a first class seat on the next flight if availible.” Though they usually pay the top amount to everyone automatically, the lawyer in me wants to make sure….
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by channa
What restrictions do you find problematic?

CO vouchers are electronic, easy to redeem online, and expire in one year (ticket by 1 year, you can travel after that), hold residual value if you don't use it all, can be used to buy someone else a ticket, and are even valid on codeshares.

Basically if you're going to spend that much money on CO in the next year, they're worth their face value.

The only voucher currency that potentially has more flexibility are DL Dollars since you can combine multiple vouchers.
Great points with which I agree. But, aren't you that infamous CO basher? If so, your post MUST have an ulterior motive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.