Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Have a 12hr B6-CO Layover in Newark - what happens to Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
I have a 12hr Layover in Newark in October and I'm not really sure how the checked luggage rules go... I'm flying from FLL (Ft Lauderdale) into Newark JetBLue but after the 12hr layover I'm leaving in a Continental flight internationally, so I was wondering if I have to go get claim my luggage once I get to Newark and then recheck it and wait the 12 hour layover? or will it connect by itself..... I'm really confused, please help.
Grayz733
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Grayz733
Hello,
I have a 12hr Layover in Newark in October and I'm not really sure how the checked luggage rules go... I'm flying from FLL (Ft Lauderdale) into Newark JetBLue but after the 12hr layover I'm leaving in a Continental flight internationally, so I was wondering if I have to go get claim my luggage once I get to Newark and then recheck it and wait the 12 hour layover? or will it connect by itself..... I'm really confused, please help.
Grayz733
I don't believe that Jet Blue and CO (UA) have an interairline agreement for baggage (others correct me if I am wrong.) You will need to reclaim your baggage from JetBlue and when check in opens for your CO/UA flight (probably about five hours out, check their website for check in times) you will need to recheck.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:59 am
Suspended

Had you booked the whole trip on CO or at least the FLL-EWR on a Carrier that CO has an interline agreement with , then once you checked your bags in at FLL you wouldnt see them till you were at Bag Claim at your final desination and would have been free to run where ever you wanted to for those 12 hrs, now by the time you are allowed to check them alot less time left to get into say NYC
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:15 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
So that we can get confirmation of the B6-CO interline question, and also information on the earliest time bags can be checked for CO flights, we'll send this over to the CO forum for more input.

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Short Criticism
Just curious who/why this was booked this way. It sounds like you are in for an extra 12+ hours on an already long travel day, which really are not necessary. (B6 and CO seem to be matching each other on price quite regularly, too.

Now A Reply
I'm also 99% sure B6 doesn't interline with CO. That said, as another poster indicated, you will have to claim your bags from JetBlue in Terminal A upon your arrival.

You will then get onto the Monorail to Terminal C, and checkin with Continental, who according to:

http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...58E14CBB02DC9E

won't accept your bag more than 4 hours in advance. I've never tried check one earlier than that, but you could always try.

This leaves you 7 or so hours with a bag or bags to carry around with you, which will make killing time quite awful.

Assuming this is setup as a morning arrival, daytime layover, nighttime departure?

If so, having the bag (or bags) with you will certainally limit your options (unless CO will take them early).

Two suggestions would be to either a) rent a car and drive somewhere you'd want to see/do in NJ. -- The Jersey Shore comes to mind, even Atlantic City (for 5 or so hours) would be doable.

B) would be just to get an hotel room at the airport with a shuttle, go there, and either watch tv/nap all day, or drop your bags, shuttle back to airport to the train station, and go into NYC, and repeat afterwards.

I suppose C) would be to change your B6 flight to a later option, or book a CO flight instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.