Search

EWR rail station access fee question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
EWR rail station access fee question

Folks -

Hopefully an easy question. If someone shows up to the EWR rail station (arriving from NJT) and doesn't have a ticket with the light rail access feee already built in, I'm assuming there's an easy way to pay the $5.50 light rail fee in order to pass through?

I've never bothered to look before while passing through, and my Wife has a trip coming up where she has an extra ticket to use, but not a EWR one. So wondering if we can use her extra ticket to get to EWR and then just pay the $5.50 to gain access to the airport?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, there are machines just before the gate where you can pay the fee. I've used them when I used to have a NJ transit pass that allowed me to travel to EWR, but I had to pay the fee separately.

Of course, YMMV, but do mote If the ticket doesn't say EWR on it, you may be liable to a fine if they check your ticket past the destination on it but prior to EWR. IME, I've never noticed them checking between Newark Penn & EWR, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, there are machines just before the gate where you can pay the fee. I've used them when I used to have a NJ transit pass that allowed me to travel to EWR, but I had to pay the fee separately.

Of course, YMMV, but do mote If the ticket doesn't say EWR on it, you may be liable to a fine if they check your ticket past the destination on it but prior to EWR. IME, I've never noticed them checking between Newark Penn & EWR, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Thanks for both! She has a Trenton-NY Penn ticket, and would just be going to EWR, so she should be ok. Appreciate the guidance on both. As always, I love this forum for such quick, thoughtful help.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:55 am

Yes, that should be okay. You can buy air-train gate access ticket at EWR from the ticket machine -- select "A" for "air train" when it prompts for station name.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deltame
Yes, that should be okay. You can buy air-train gate access ticket at EWR from the ticket machine -- select "A" for "air train" when it prompts for station name.
Nice tip! I suspect I'd have been hunting for the right choice.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My recollection is that the TVMs on the train side of the gate have the AirTrain access fee ($5.50) as the only option and it is on the main page. You do not have to hunt for it.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by emcampbe
It has been cheaper to buy a ticket to the stop after EWR, then pay the $5.50 separately. Worth checking, and perfectly legal, not worth the trouble unless one takes a singular pleasure in arbitrage.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Syzygies
It has been cheaper to buy a ticket to the stop after EWR, then pay the $5.50 separately. Worth checking, and perfectly legal, not worth the trouble unless one takes a singular pleasure in arbitrage.
They finally fixed this when they dropped the fare down to $12.50, I believe. Maybe there's still $0.50 in arbitrage or something like that but not nearly the same $4-6 it used to be.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:20 pm

I myself had the misfortune of hunting for gate access only option. I don't remember which side I was on (it was a long time ago), but I tried G (guessing at one point it was listed under G for gate access) and some other things to no avail, I had to wait for the attending worker there to help me. After she told me "A" for airtrain, I was like "duh, of course, why didn't I think of that!".

I commute to work via NJT and usually buy a monthly pass (so the $5.50 AirTrain only ticket has been a very good saving in my case).

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Nice tip! I suspect I'd have been hunting for the right choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.