Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Canadair CRJ-200 vs. Embraer ERJ-145: IAH-DAL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadair CRJ-200 vs. Embraer ERJ-145: IAH-DAL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Hi.... I agree that the one-side seat on an ERJ seems more comfortable, more private, or gives more personal space than a CRJ-200. On, the other hand, an ERJ seems like a "smaller" plane since its long and narrow, and that impacts the sense of "safety."

From flying Delta a lot, I have plenty of experience with the CRJ-200. Because the side walls curve inward starting at about shoulder-height when you are sitting down, the person in the window seat leans towrads the middle, which makes the person inthe aisle seat lean uncomftably, also.
On the CRJ-200, the windows are rather low on the wall, which also gives the impression that the plane is small, since a regular-height passenger is looking down to see through the window.

If you look at the Delta section of FlyerTalk, you'll find many comments about the CRJ-200s. The CRJ-700 and CRJ-900s are much better liked with walls that don't curve inward starting so low......and first-class in those planes is wonderful, since there's nothing better than a one-seat side in first for space and privacy.

Another factor that influences the impression of ERJ and CRJ-200 trips is that those flights are operated by separate companies using the "Delta' or "United" name......such as my Delta flight from OKC to Detroit has a Delta flight number, but "operated by Pinnacle airlines for Delta". These separate "commuter" or "regional" jet companies use their own pilots and crews and have a greater probability of running late or cancelling flights. The ERJ and CRJ-200 flights at major hub airports, such as Houston for United, leave from gates in buildings that are old, dirty or inconvenient compared to the larger planes..... the building where the ERJ-135/140/145 and CRJ-200s is sometimes described as "more like a bus station than an airport."

Hope this is helpful!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by brenobarini
Hi guys.. Sorry to revive this topic.. But I need some informations, or some declarations from people who flew those airplanes, if it's possible.

I'm a student, and I'm doing a research on ~50 seats regional jets comfort, comparing some points like seats (dimensions, reclination), aisle (dimensions), noise, temperature, window size and position, in flight entertainment, ilumination, etc.

I need to know what do you think about these points between ERJ-145 x CRJ-200 x Q300 x ATR-42... I only flew one of them, but a long time ago... Don't need to be exactly numbers, just yhow you feel inside them, and what could be better, for you.

I didn't find a better place to ask this.

Hope you can help me.. I'd be very very grateful.

Sorry for my english..

And thank you very much.

Breno
I've flown on all of these types over the years and of the four I prefer the Embraer ERJ-145. Also note there are two smaller versions of this aircraft, being the ERJ-135 and ERJ-140. For short flights such as LFT-IAH, it's a great little plane, especially in a window/aisle A seat ahead of the wing. On longer flights such a IAH-ORF, it's not very fun at all.

Others have commented on the CRJ-200 and I agree it's a cramped little airplane that I do not enjoy flying on. The larger versions, which include the CRJ-700, CRJ-705, CRJ-900 and CRJ-1000 are quite a bit nicer. Note that of these types, UA Express only operates the smaller CRJ and larger CRJ-700.

The Dash 8-300 is fine for short flights such as those operated between Caribbean islands by LIAT....that is, when this airline operates on time and one does not miss his or her connecting flight at SJU or elsewhere! There are larger and smaller versions of this turboprop such as the Dash 8-100, Dash 8-200 and Dash 8-Q400. I do not enjoy longer flights on the Q400 such as those operated by Horizon Air on behalf of AS.

That leaves the ATR turboprop. Older ATR aircraft such as the ATR-42 and larger ATR-72 are okay for shorter flights. But I do think the newer versions of the ATR, such as the ATR-42-500 and ATR-72-500 are nicer in terms of being a bit quieter with less vibration. I flew on a brand new ATR-42-500 operated by Air Tahiti and was impressed.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 30, 2013 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by peersteve
The ERJ and CRJ-200 flights at major hub airports, such as Houston for United, leave from gates in buildings that are old, dirty or inconvenient compared to the larger planes..... the building where the ERJ-135/140/145 and CRJ-200s is sometimes described as "more like a bus station than an airport."

Hope this is helpful!
This is not true with regard to AA Eagle flights at DFW. These ERJ and CRJ flights depart in many cases from the same terminals that are utilized by AA mainline aircraft.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:00 am

jlemon and peersteve.. it's really helpful

thank you
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
Originally Posted by peersteve
The ERJ and CRJ-200 flights at major hub airports, such as Houston for United, leave from gates in buildings that are old, dirty or inconvenient compared to the larger planes..... the building where the ERJ-135/140/145 and CRJ-200s is sometimes described as "more like a bus station than an airport."
IAH terminal B is nicer and more convenient than UA's terminal G at IAD...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by SittingUpFront
IAH terminal B is nicer and more convenient than UA's terminal G at IAD...
There is no Terminal G at IAD.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
Originally Posted by gusd
There is no Terminal G at IAD.
There once was.
http://www.threesquirrels.com/?p=26
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/2/3462...b7d_z.jpg?zz=1

Compared to terminal G, IAH terminal B is luxurious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.