Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tv_man
Pretty broad choice of words... in reality, the domestic market is:

UA/CO and Frontier charge for in-seat IFE

JetBlue, DL and VAM provide in-seat IFE for free

SWA, US and AA do not have in-seat IFE and/or do not offer IFE at all
What does VAM stand for? Is there some sort of new Vampire airline that caters to screaming 12 year girl fans of Twilight, True Blood and the Vampire Diaries?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gawhite411
What does VAM stand for? Is there some sort of new Vampire airline that caters to screaming 12 year girl fans of Twilight, True Blood and the Vampire Diaries?
My guess would be Virgin America.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by airb330
My guess would be Virgin America.
But the code for Virgin America is VX, not VAM, so it must be something else.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gawhite411
But the code for Virgin America is VX, not VAM, so it must be something else.
and JetBlue is B6, so that must stand for something else too, right?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:31 pm

No discount received for Chase MC

I just happened to look at my statement and noticed they charged the full $5.99 (for a shorter segment) and did not get the advertised $2 discount for using a Continental MC (Presidential Plus). What a ripoff. I contested the charge with Chase, who adjusted it without even filing a report (because it's cheaper for them to just write it off). I wanted to cause a hassle for Continental/Chase so they'd fix it, but it seems they're ripping people off and some may not even notice it unless they check their statements.

Not cool
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 2P
Credit Card Discount Gone?

Coming from the UA side of the merger I only recently started flying CO metal with DirecTV. Up until my last flight I had recalled seeing the $2 Continental credit card discount advertised as part of that annoyingly endless "buy me" loop after the preview concludes.

On my last flight (Jan 2) however the discount offer was missing. I vaguely recall reading somewhere it was going away at the start of this year. Does anyone know if it still applies? I didn't buy so I can't check my statement.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
"
Originally Posted by FoulWeather
Coming from the UA side of the merger I only recently started flying CO metal with DirecTV. Up until my last flight I had recalled seeing the $2 Continental credit card discount advertised as part of that annoyingly endless "buy me" loop after the preview concludes.

If you're tired of the "buy me" loop, you can turn off the TV by pressing Brightness Down about a dozen times. Not the most intuitive, I know, but it certainly can be done.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by channa
"

If you're tired of the "buy me" loop, you can turn off the TV by pressing Brightness Down about a dozen times. Not the most intuitive, I know, but it certainly can be done.
Yeah, I know. They are showing the Alcatraz preview right now so I decided to suffer through the loop so I wouldn't miss the start. Better than nothing I suppose.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
"

Also marked "Off" for anyone who is confused, and you can just hold it down unless you specifically like pressing the button

(Figured some helpful advice was worth throwing in there)
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Also marked "Off" for anyone who is confused, and you can just hold it down unless you specifically like pressing the button

(Figured some helpful advice was worth throwing in there)

Indeed, that is quite helpful. Because most consumer devices around the world require that you press an OFF button once to turn them off. Since this setup is so unusual and counter-intuitive, many people leave the TVs on because they don't realize they can be turned off. Any education we can provide regarding turning those darn screens off (particularly on redeyes) is helpful, IMO.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by FoulWeather

On my last flight (Jan 2) however the discount offer was missing. I vaguely recall reading somewhere it was going away at the start of this year. Does anyone know if it still applies? I didn't buy so I can't check my statement.
I just checked the latest (Jan) Hemispheres magazine and it's not advertised on there. They still list it as a benefit on the site:

http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...TVWhatsOn.aspx

However, it might be possible they are phasing it out.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Indeed, that is quite helpful. Because most consumer devices around the world require that you press an OFF button once to turn them off. Since this setup is so unusual and counter-intuitive, many people leave the TVs on because they don't realize they can be turned off. Any education we can provide regarding turning those darn screens off (particularly on redeyes) is helpful, IMO.
Defensive today I see I'm not selling the things, I'm adding helpful advice to the poster without a diatribe. A dedicated "off" button would be lovely but last time I checked there wasn't one - sooner or later you'll have to deal with that fact or I guess just avoid those planes, this isn't the first time you've mentioned this.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Defensive today I see
today?!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Turning down the volume button does the same thing.

Defensive today I see I'm not selling the things, I'm adding helpful advice to the poster without a diatribe. A dedicated "off" button would be lovely but last time I checked there wasn't one - sooner or later you'll have to deal with that fact or I guess just avoid those planes, this isn't the first time you've mentioned this.

Originally Posted by njcommodore
today?!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tv_man
Pretty broad choice of words... in reality, the domestic market is:

UA/CO and Frontier charge for in-seat IFE

JetBlue, DL and VAM provide in-seat IFE for free

SWA, US and AA do not have in-seat IFE and/or do not offer IFE at all
Frontier comps the TV for their Elites.

The only Elites who have to pay for TV are on CO.

A dedicated "off" button would be lovely but last time I checked there wasn't one - sooner or later you'll have to deal with that fact or I guess just avoid those planes, this isn't the first time you've mentioned this.
Or do what we're both doing by educating people that there is a way to turn off the TV, though in an unconventional way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.