Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does United have something similar to Fare class B

Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I love the fact that as an Elite (even a lower level Silver like me) can book coach in B class and automatically get an upgrade to F

Was wondering if United has a similar fare class, and therefore, this feature will likely continue after merger??

Ideas?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding is that United does not have a program for instant upgrades on all Y/B fares for elites. Instead they publish -UP fares in some markets that anyone can purchase. Otherwise you're in line for UDUs and, as a silver, you'd be behind the higher tier elites.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
UA does instant upgrade fares only in select markets. That way they only offer it based on competition or where they want to vs. nationwide.

As for whether it would continue, I'm not sure. UA seems to be able to command high prices for its F cabins, whereas CO likes to discount them.

So if I had to guess, either they won't, or if they do, the B level may rise even further.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by channa
UA does instant upgrade fares only in select markets. That way they only offer it based on competition or where they want to vs. nationwide.

As for whether it would continue, I'm not sure. UA seems to be able to command high prices for its F cabins, whereas CO likes to discount them.

So if I had to guess, either they won't, or if they do, the B level may rise even further.
Now that UDU is in effect, no more instant y/b upgrades outside of the status windows....

What will happen to Y/B Complimentary Upgrades once Unlimited Domestic Upgrades are implemented?

As of March 19, 2010, Y/B Complimentary Upgrades will no longer be offered. They will be replaced with Unlimited Domestic Upgrades, which will be accessible for all our elite members on most United Economy purchased fares and all United Business purchased fares.

See UDU FAQ
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Now that UDU is in effect, no more instant y/b upgrades outside of the status windows....
There are still plenty of Y/B/H/Q-Ups in select markets, though.

Also worth noting UA's previous Y/B-Up policy only applied to proper YUA and BUA fares. This was fare more limiting than CO's policy, which applies to any Y/B fare.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Maybe put another way -- UA likes to sell less seats for more money while CO likes to sell more seats for less money. So which is the better strategy? Hmmm.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe put another way -- UA likes to sell less seats for more money while CO likes to sell more seats for less money. So which is the better strategy? Hmmm.
Yes and no. If there's a conscious premium being paid for F, then they're doing as you describe. However in the CO world, the F fare (or Y/B/M-Up) is often the cheapest available for the trip, so they're essentially giving it away.

And we're not just talking about full flights or last-minute purchases where inventory is getting tight. Many of CO's lower fares require 3-day minimums and such, and if one doesn't have that, they're pushed up to a B fare anyway, and with that comes an upgrade. An Elite in that situation can either by a B fare and upgrade, or B fare and not upgrade.

In those cases, CO is not exactly "selling" more F seats, as the purchaser isn't given an option to sit up front for even marginally more money. In those situations, it's simply not possible to buy a fare that doesn't come with an upgrade. So CO is giving F away to passengers buying the lowest possible fare for the flight they want.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The effect is the same -- like I said, they're selling more FC seats for less $. CO has long been relatively indifferent between a B fare and a Z fare for its elites -- by offering elites what is, in effect, a modest discount on first class fares (and a way around corporate travel policies), they are attracting more business and selling more seats. And that business traveler who is elite on CO, and may or may not be elite on a competing airline on that route, could very likely steer the ticket purchase to CO if s/he was getting the free upgrade, even if the CO flight was somewhat less convenient than the competition. More FC seats, for less $, but still pretty good yields.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The effect is the same -- like I said, they're selling more FC seats for less $. CO has long been relatively indifferent between a B fare and a Z fare for its elites -- by offering elites what is, in effect, a modest discount on first class fares (and a way around corporate travel policies), they are attracting more business and selling more seats. And that business traveler who is elite on CO, and may or may not be elite on a competing airline on that route, could very likely steer the ticket purchase to CO if s/he was getting the free upgrade, even if the CO flight was somewhat less convenient than the competition. More FC seats, for less $, but still pretty good yields.
This sums up my biz travel, and I don't think I'm alone.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
This sums up my biz travel, and I don't think I'm alone.
No, you're not. A key factor that has kept me loyal to CO over the years has been the elite YBM-UP benefit (originally just Y-UP). Particularly at the troughs of the economic cycles when my employers suspend premium class travel on 5+ hr domestic flights.

Whether CO or UA's strategy is better, I think it's impossible for us, and possibly even the airlines, to know for sure. Theoretically you'd just compare RASMs, but nobody discloses this information publicly for just the premium cabin. Consolidated mainline RASM is affected by too many other factors to provide any meaningful insight into this particular issue.

Last edited by ijgordon; Jun 16, 2010 at 9:03 am
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: MP Gold, HH Diam, Nat Exec Elite
Exclamation Beware of B fare DOWNGRADE on United code shares

I just flew last week on a CO itin ticketed at B, only to find that UN recognizes that as M on code share flights, which reduces your EQM/EQP from 150%/1.5 down to 100%/1. Paying for the B - and the UP-YMB and extra miles/points that would come with it on CO, got me an E+ seat, no upgrade, no exit row, and no bonus miles/points. Has anyone seen the "conversion chart" from which the Elite Service Center Supervisor quoted this or had similar experiences? The service rep was unable to find it and neither was the supervisor...

After being on the phone for over 90 minutes with OP Service (80 of it on hold listening to the prerecorded message of how UN and CO are now merging and working on seamless integration), the representative did manage to put a note on my account and said that after 15 days, if I call back, they will restore my points and miles. No upgrade. Pricey way to a few bonus miles is an understatement...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LKWarrior
I just flew last week on a CO itin ticketed at B, only to find that UN recognizes that as M on code share flights, which reduces your EQM/EQP from 150%/1.5 down to 100%/1. Paying for the B - and the UP-YMB and extra miles/points that would come with it on CO, got me an E+ seat, no upgrade, no exit row, and no bonus miles/points. Has anyone seen the "conversion chart" from which the Elite Service Center Supervisor quoted this or had similar experiences? The service rep was unable to find it and neither was the supervisor...

After being on the phone for over 90 minutes with OP Service (80 of it on hold listening to the prerecorded message of how UN and CO are now merging and working on seamless integration), the representative did manage to put a note on my account and said that after 15 days, if I call back, they will restore my points and miles. No upgrade. Pricey way to a few bonus miles is an understatement...

Similar to what you're saying, I believe UA B also maps to CO M.

I'm not aware of the chart being published, we only have data points from experience and what others have published.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold

I just had a similar scenario a few days ago on a future MR. I had booked B class to get the 1.5 bonus. What I did not realize was that the segments from Houston to LAX were "buy up" upgrades. Well, at the time, I thought, great !! But after I drove the ticket, the 1.5 MQM bonus on the buy up B legs was eliminated. I called CO to clarify. At first, she did not believe I had originally bought B fares, but after checking, she confirmed that I did. She then called a supervisor who was perplexed at the removal of the bonus. It was kicked up to another supervisor that confirmed that the MQM bonus is eliminated on buy up B fares. Well, this kind of defeated the primary purpose of the trip, which was an MR. But after calculating everything carefully, I will still accrue enough MQM's to cross the 100K mark.

But really, shouldn't the website warn you that you will lose the 1.5 bonus?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Feather Man
I just had a similar scenario a few days ago on a future MR. I had booked B class to get the 1.5 bonus. What I did not realize was that the segments from Houston to LAX were "buy up" upgrades. Well, at the time, I thought, great !! But after I drove the ticket, the 1.5 MQM bonus on the buy up B legs was eliminated.
How does one distinguish "B" from "buy up B"? I just did an MR on B tickets specifically to get the 150% EQMs and I will be *majorly* hosed if they only accrue 100%!!! I did note that during online purchase, I was offered a buy up for "more flexibility" (sounded like refundable/changeable ticket) but the screen that came up after selecting that choice showed "M" fare class and 100%, so I backed out and went back to my original "B" fares!!!! More money for fewer EQMs wasn't *my* idea of an improvement

Richard
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Paying for the B - and the UP-YMB and extra miles/points that would come with it on CO,
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

An M fare (CO code/metal) does not come with bonus points, just the ability to -UP.

Has anyone seen the "conversion chart" from which the Elite Service Center Supervisor quoted this or had similar experiences? The service rep was unable to find it and neither was the supervisor...
The chart is not published. There are some compilations and references but none are comprehensive. The earning rules pretty clearly state that the credit is based on the operating carrier but without the ability to easily know in advance what you are booking into it can definitely be both confusing and frustrating.

...the representative did manage to put a note on my account and said that after 15 days, if I call back, they will restore my points and miles. No upgrade. Pricey way to a few bonus miles is an understatement...
That was quite generous of them.
Originally Posted by Feather Man
I just had a similar scenario a few days ago on a future MR. I had booked B class to get the 1.5 bonus. What I did not realize was that the segments from Houston to LAX were "buy up" upgrades. Well, at the time, I thought, great !! But after I drove the ticket, the 1.5 MQM bonus on the buy up B legs was eliminated.
But really, shouldn't the website warn you that you will lose the 1.5 bonus?
It doesn't because you do not. The website will display the reservation in ZE inventory and show 100% earning online but when the flights actually post they will be with the underlying B fare and you will receive the correct credit in your account. This is a long-standing bug on the site. It used to show 0% so the 100% listing is at least closer to accurate, though still not all the way there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.