Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

D*&@ bag fee worth more than my lifetime $$ on CO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:03 am
Original Poster

I am extremely irritated with Continental at the moment. I booked a reward ticket to Ecuador on October 1st. Over the next few days there was conversation with my family and an indication that I would need to return with 3 bags. So I went to Continentals web site on October 11th. And this is what I found. (relevant parts only)

Certain customers are exempt from paying the fees and will be allowed to check certain bags free ofcharge (bags must meet weight and size restrictions).

Platinum and Gold Elite customers**

**May check three bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linearinches (157 cm) (total length + width + height). Ticket must reflect confirmed seat for segment inwhich customer is checking in.

Now. Who after reading this thought there would be a problem. No where in this document is there any reference to dates. I was prepared on October 11th to fork over miles to upgrade to 1st. But, after reading this obviously I didn't feel the need.

So get to the airport for my return trip. Tough cookies Mr. Kahanek. You pay $112 for that third bag. So basically CO told me that 112 is worth more than the 10's of thousands of dollars I have spent and will spend on their airline buying mainly Y, B, and M fares. Does that make good business sense? I am not asking CO to bend the rules. I follow policy. However at "decision time" the policy CLEARLY stated I got three bags. Simple as that. My opinion is that they should honor that. So. What should I do. We Care was as useless as a wet fart.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
You did not find that on Oct 11th, CO did not join Star Alliance until the 27th and there was NO MENTION of Star in policies only a special Alliance Transition section. they were very careful of this and portions of the site did not go with such until the 25th early morning, AFTER they left.

Edit: Ft is acting up, I edited to add that I speed read wrongly.

Last edited by Steph3n; Nov 21, 2009 at 10:21 am Reason: Read wrong.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Would you like me to email

you the PDF printout off their site dated October 11th? I am not making this up.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Steph3n
You did not find that on Oct 11th, CO did not join Star Alliance until the 27th and there was NO MENTION of Star in policies only a special Alliance Transition section. they were very careful of this and portions of the site did not go with such until the 25th early morning.
There is no reference to *A in the OP's cite.

But I'm confused why the OP was asked to pay for the third bag and where the $112 number came from. That certainly isn't a normal amount that one would be charged for an extra bag. And if the OP is gold or platinum they are still permitted 3 bags under the new policies.

We are in the embargo period for UIO right now so the fact that they accepting the third bag at all is actually a bit of good fortune for the OP.

But I'd still love to hear where the $112 number comes from.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by sbm12

But I'm confused why the OP was asked to pay for the third bag and where the $112 number came from. That certainly isn't a normal amount that one would be charged for an extra bag. And if the OP is gold or platinum they are still permitted 3 bags under the new policies.

We are in the embargo period for UIO right now so the fact that they accepting the third bag at all is actually a bit of good fortune for the OP.

you caught me pre-edit. I noticed my mistake there. I was doing the speed reading and read *G no idea why.

Edit: Now i see my edit only partially posted too, FT is acting goofy.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:22 am
Original Poster

100 for the excess baggage and 12 for an "airport fee". Whatever that meant. At that point I didn't have time to argue with the agent and just paid for it. (with my co mastercard no less). She argued that if I had bought the ticket on October 2nd I would have gotten three bags. But since it was ticketed on October 1st I would not. Again. Being a plat I could have simply cancelled the ticket and re-issued (plenty of coach rewards for my dates). I would have done that had the policy I read on the 11th stated I would only get two bags. My point is I should not have to pay $100 for misinformation supplied by a web site that Continental REALLY wants you to use.

Originally Posted by sbm12

Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
As Janet Jackson would sing, "what have you done for me lately"

- It's Janet, Ms. Jackson, if your nasty.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
It sounds like you have enough information to challenge the charge with Chase. Document your attempts to resolve this with CO, email or snail mail a request to have this charge refunded because of the language on the website. If this is denied, then dispute with Chase and send them the print outs that make your case. Good luck. All airlines are in 'fee mode' these days .
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
I can understand and relate to the OPers comments about baggage fees. I actually used miles to upgrade once for this very reason and to help ensure that I would not have to deal with charges for additional baggage as an elite.

I do know that there were many changes happening in OCt. due to the transition and there may have been contradictory information online. I would suggest contacting We Care and giving them the information and go from there. While it won't help in this situation, I would suggust that one call the next time they know they are going to have to transport an extra bag.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It's a bit difficult to understand the timeline based on the way the story has been unfolded to us, but here's by understanding:

1. OP ticketed an award reservation on Oct 1.
2. On Oct 2, baggage allowance was changed by CO to allow for 3 free checked bags based on elite status.
3. On Oct 11, OP looked up the baggage allowance on co.com, saw that 3 free checked bags were allowed, and saw no mention that this applied only to flights ticketed on or after Oct 2.
4. At some point after Oct 11, OP flew the return leg of the ticket, and was charged $112 for the third checked bag, per the rules that were in effect at the time the ticket was issued.

I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not a "bait and switch" situation. Assuming the timeline above is correct, at the time of ticketing, the rule was "two free checked bags" for the OP's situation. Apparently a third checked bag wasn't important to the OP at that time, as he didn't look into it one way or the other. Later, on Oct 11, the issue of the third bag came up, but even if the website wasn't complete in explaining that the current policy applied only to travel ticketed on or after Oct 2, this omission didn't affect the decision to ticket, as that had already been made on Oct 1.

So, what are the OP's damages as a result of the website being unclear? Instead of becoming aware of the 3rd checked bag fee on Oct 11, they became aware of it at the airport on the return flight, but the charge was in no way different. The only thing a bit odd about this situation is that since the OP is platinum, they could theoretically have redepositied and and reticketed the flights on Oct 11 for no fee had they been fully aware of the situation. But this would have been possible only if award seats were still available on Oct 11, and it's unlikely that we'll ever know if this was the case.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Bonvoy Gold
In a "customer-first" environment, I would think this would have played out differently. If the rule had been made MORE restrictive on 10/2, then the rules in place at the time of ticketing should apply, as that's what you were getting when you booked the ticket on 10/1.

But, in a situation where the rules were relaxed, if there's nothing to indicate that the relaxed standard (3 free instead of 2) would not apply, then the rule enforced should be the rule on the date of travel.

The OP didn't need three bags at the time of ticketing, so it wasn't a problem. But, when he discovered he'd need them, he looked up the rules and thought it would be ok, and then was hit with a charge at the airport. That doesn't seem fair.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
In the Good Ole' Days...

When Robert Six was CEO of Continental, every page of the Customer Service Maniual was inscribed with these words: "Nothing in this manual supersedes common sense."

Clearly today's Customer Service Manual won out over common sense in this case.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Nov 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Scott6067
I would suggest contacting We Care
heheheh
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:46 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by channa
heheheh
I dont agree with channa about all of CO's problems, but in this case I'll give a hearty +1
WeCare is so worthless its laughable.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: Onepass Plat
Originally Posted by Steve M
So, what are the OP's damages as a result of the website being unclear? Instead of becoming aware of the 3rd checked bag fee on Oct 11, they became aware of it at the airport on the return flight, but the charge was in no way different. The only thing a bit odd about this situation is that since the OP is platinum, they could theoretically have redepositied and and reticketed the flights on Oct 11 for no fee had they been fully aware of the situation. But this would have been possible only if award seats were still available on Oct 11, and it's unlikely that we'll ever know if this was the case.
That's his entire case - there was additional reward availability, and as a plat he could have switched the ticket at no cost had he been informed of the policy / been given the correct information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.