Platnum instant upgrade with M class

Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Platnum instant upgrade with M class

Or not. I am booking 4 tickets. 2 of us are plt. On the return, the fare class is M but is not instant upgradable although there are first class seats available. What is happening here?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They're capactiy controlled.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

So what is the strategy? Buy the tickets and call on a regular basis to see if upgrades become available?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can call or you can pull up the reservation on continental.com and see if the option to upgrade it is available.

Or you can get a premium ExpertFlyer subscription and set a flight alert for "Z" inventory, which is typically indicative of upgrade availability for Platinum M fares.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, there's no waitlisting for this type of upgrade. CO is weird like that.

Also look at moving the return up to a B or Y bucket, M --> B might be only a nominal difference, and B pulls out of a higher bucket.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
So what is the strategy? Buy the tickets and call on a regular basis to see if upgrades become available?
Id call CO and ask them if they can Confirm any flights for the day I want to travel and see if you can arrange your plans around that flight.

Id rather have it in the bag then to buy an M (4) and in the end sit in Coach and have paid alot more to sit in that exact same coach I could have had for less $$
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Also look at moving the return up to a B or Y bucket, M --> B might be only a nominal difference, and B pulls out of a higher bucket.
B fares are capacity-controlled just like the M fares. Only the Y fares get last-FC-seat-upgrade-availability. And Y fares are usually more expensive than discounted first class fares (Z), though if there is Z inventory in the first place, you'll likely be able to book a M-UP or B-UP anyway.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
Yeah, there's no waitlisting for this type of upgrade. CO is weird like that.

I believe at this point M and B pull out of the same capacity-controlled bucket.

It's the Y fares that aren't capacity controlled.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fozz
I believe at this point M and B pull out of the same capacity-controlled bucket.

Thanks for clarifying. Can be tough to keep up on the alphabet soup.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:52 am

Just to clarify, even though 4 tixs were purchased only 2 are eligible for the M-up because only 2/4 are Plats?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nova08
Just to clarify, even though 4 tixs were purchased only 2 are eligible for the M-up because only 2/4 are Plats?
Correct. The Y/B/M-Up fares depend on the status of the passenger - not the person buying the tickets - for the upgrade eligibility.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Correct.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by fozz

Since B is basically the new Y with * (if you go by fare amount), it is a bit of a devaluation for Golds and Plats.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
You did split them, right? If all four are on one PNR you won't be able to upgrade.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdraco
Since B is basically the new Y with * (if you go by fare amount), it is a bit of a devaluation for Golds and Plats.
Well, I don't know if it was due to *A or just general fare increases, but yes, the full Y fares are quite a bit higher than they were in the recent and intermediate past. B fares can vary, depending on advance purchase and refundability, but certainly having capacity controls on B-UPs was a bit of a devaluation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.