Wiki Posts
Search

Reward trip JFK-(FRA)-SIN - Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Reward trip JFK-(FRA)-SIN - Illegal?

So, I had a crummy routing (EWR-LAX-BKK-SIN) and I've been calling to get a better one.

Low and behold, today I get offered SQ JFK-SIN with a stop...somewhere. Agent on the phone can't tell me where.

It's the same mileage as my poor routing, and SQ C, so why not?

I look up the flight and it's a stop in FRA.

Does the TATL to SIN make it an illegal reward? Should I care?

David
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Illegal, no. Invalid, maybe.

If they are willing to ticket it then you should be fine but the official policy was no SE Asia via Europe. There was mention of reconsidering and adding the option via a surcharge perhaps. And others have reported success getting the routing using European carriers and not connecting to Asian carriers once there. But it appears to very much be in flux in terms of what is and is not permitted on any given day.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by dgilman
So, I had a crummy routing (EWR-LAX-BKK-SIN) and I've been calling to get a better one.

Low and behold, today I get offered SQ JFK-SIN with a stop...somewhere. Agent on the phone can't tell me where.

David

Is it on SQ or LH? From what I was told over the last few days you shouldn't have any problems booking this via LH. I did JFK-IST-BKK on TK and back BKK-FRA-BOS on LH and had no problems ticketing this and even getting my seats assigned on TK.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Maybe the seat came from SQ's codeshare inventory on LH?? I'm curious now, too.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by festdave
Maybe the seat came from SQ's codeshare inventory on LH?? I'm curious now, too.
Nope, as there's no equivalent LH flight on the books.

Interesting that now the only availability on SQ25 (the flight in question) is in F.

I'll give it 24 hours and call SQ to confirm the reservation...

David
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
This should be OK as it's a direct flight (one flight number). At least in the UA rules, when booking SQ25 it is considered transpac if booked as JFK-SIN, even though there is a stop in FRA.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
This should be OK as it's a direct flight (one flight number). At least in the UA rules, when booking SQ25 it is considered transpac if booked as JFK-SIN, even though there is a stop in FRA.
So would the same work for the IAH flight on SQ?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:57 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by sbm12
If they are willing to ticket it then you should be fine but the official policy was no SE Asia via Europe.
Was that ever publicly stated? I heard European routing were allowed.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Was that ever publicly stated? I heard European routing were allowed.
From whom?

CO Insider stated that they were verbotten.
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Vulcan, as of this moment, that is a true statement. However, we are in the process of evaluating routing options over Asia and what (if any) additional miles would be required. Same goes for routings over Europe for travel between the U.S. and Asia. Stay tuned.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:37 pm

From whom?

Hopefully CO Insider sees this thread and can clear things up. All 3 agents that I dealt with in booking and ticketing my flight didn't question my itinerary at all. While just a couple of weeks ago as soon as I would mention Asia via Europe they would say NO. I still would like to know why I am not allowed to do an open jaw in Asia with my itinerary (well using TG that is).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: hardly any
Over and back, the same way ...

Hi, DGilman:

Award flights from JFK to SIN, if routed on SQ 25, will require a return trip only on the reverse flight home SQ 26 SIN to JFK. You will probably not be permitted to fly home across the Pacific as that would constitute a round the world routing. And of course you will not be permitted a stopover in either direction even though the plane will stop for re-fueling; you will simply be required to get off the plane to allow for cleaning and catering in FRA.

As mentioned earlier, this issue has been discussed in depth on the United board. I will not be surprised if Continental now will follow United's rulings in this matter.

Did you actually want to go only to SIN and then return home? Or did you desire a stopover in another city too in SE Asia?

David
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:48 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Did not catch that.

What was throwing me off, and what I'm still not sure on, is if direct flights via Europe count (i.e. SQ60/61 IAH-[DME]-SIN.)

FWIW I've been able to book that on UA as a through flight, but I don't know if that's applicable here.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As someone who has booked JFK-FRA-SIN on SQ recently, it is a valid routing and it is considered trans-atlantic.

Attempting to book that with a transpac broke the faring.

Sadly, no 77Ws were available, I did try.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:49 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador

David
Can I ask what date you secured a reward booking on SQ C? ANA has shown no availability in C or F on any SQ 744 flight to/from USA for months.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Well then something is broken.

My routing was EWR-LAX-BKK-SIN / TPE-BKK-LAX-EWR (I think Channa came up with that one)

I called to try to get something better and it is now -

EWR-(FRA)-SIN / TPE-BKK-LAX-EWR

The SIN award is on 12/5/09.

I also saw no availability on SQ, using the SQ tools. So I was surprised when this agent gave me the option.

I have a flight this morning but will call SQ this afternoon and confirm the ticket is secured...stay tuned!

Originally Posted by JohnWM
Hi, DGilman:

Award flights from JFK to SIN, if routed on SQ 25, will require a return trip only on the reverse flight home SQ 26 SIN to JFK. You will probably not be permitted to fly home across the Pacific as that would constitute a round the world routing. And of course you will not be permitted a stopover in either direction even though the plane will stop for re-fueling; you will simply be required to get off the plane to allow for cleaning and catering in FRA.

As mentioned earlier, this issue has been discussed in depth on the United board. I will not be surprised if Continental now will follow United's rulings in this matter.

Did you actually want to go only to SIN and then return home? Or did you desire a stopover in another city too in SE Asia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.