Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Dinner with Captain Flanagan on Tuesday, February 3!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC Dinner with Captain Flanagan on Tuesday, February 3!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Washington DC Dinner with Captain Flanagan on Tuesday, February 3!

After great dinners with FlyerTalkers in both Denver and Los Angeles, Captain Flanagan is up for another dinner. This time he'll have a layover in Washington DC on Tuesday, February 3. For those that don't know who Captain Flanagan is, check out this thread.

So, anyone in town and interested in dinner? Once again it looks like I won't be able to make it, but I'm sure it'll be a great time. Given that we're in a UA hub, I have a feeling a few people might be interested.

Dinner will be at 6:30PM at at Harry's Tap Room at 2800 Clarendon Blvd., in Arlington. The reservation is under the name "Greg."

Directions and the menu (including the beer and wine list) is available at Harry's website:
http://www.harrystaproom.com/index.html

Please note, there will be a single bill and separate credit cards will NOT be accepted from each diner, so plan to bring cash. The restaurant is hosting several large groups Tuesday night and the logistics of 20+ separate checks was a deal breaker for the restaurant taking our group.

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Jan 31, 2009 at 9:21 pm
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Attending:
Benny8444
Captain Flanagan +3
eap
EdisonCarter
FBKSan
flugvergnugen
GoingAway
GrizShel
gvdIAD
Madhouse24 +1
MileageAddict
mot29
MrAOK
silver springer +1
ua_to_ord +3
UNHBuzzard +1
violist
youreadyfreddie

Maybe:
DHAST
dlnewbie
noirpepper

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Feb 3, 2009 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wish I could make it. I will not be returning to Washington until 13 Feb.

For those undecided: believe me it is worth it.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I should be able to make it.

Are you thinking of a place close to IAD or to DCA? If it's close to IAD, you might want to think of a start time no earlier than 7:00 pm, as traffic during the evening can easily mean it will take more than one hour to drive there from DC, suburban MD, and the close-in VA suburbs (though we do have lots of locals in western Fairfax County who could get there earlier).
Old Jan 25, 2009, 6:51 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
I would love to join, but will only be able to make it if the restaurant is reasonably accessible by DC metro.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by eap
I would love to join, but will only be able to make it if the restaurant is reasonably accessible by DC metro.
we can arrange metro pickups if a restaurant is selected that is not easily metro accessible

Not sure which airport Captain Flanagan is connecting to, but how about the Tysons area? Go ahead and put me down as attending for right now, although work might interfere.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by eap
+1
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I will be there.

I agree that Tysons is the best place if he is flying into IAD as the beltway is horrible that time of day. He just has to stay on the toll road and it will hit Tysons.

There are some great places there.
Cheesecake Factory
Legal Sea Food
Magginaos
Chilis
On the border
Olive Garden
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Ehhh, not even close. Connecting at DEN on the 2nd. One of these days...
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:35 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Please count me in! Thanks for your work in organizing these dinners, Ben. ^

If the venue is still undecided, I'll suggest Jaleo, a tapas restaurant with great cooking and atmosphere (although somewhat pricier than the likes of Olive Garden and Chili's). There are locations in Crystal City, which is a half-mile from DCA and near the metro, and Penn Quarter in DC, a single block from the Chinatown metro station.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I <3 Jaleo.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Excellent!^ Luckily Captain Flanagan will be staying downtown, so no need to fight the traffic or arrange alternate forms of transportation.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Luckily Captain Flanagan will be staying downtown
There are tons of choices downtown, with Penn Quarter probably having the widest variety (and I say that not only because my office is in the neighborhood and I could walk to dinner ). There are also quite a few restaurants around K Street, DuPont Circle, in the West End, and in Georgetown, but other than K Street, those areas are either Metro or car unfriendly (or both).

I'd note that Georgetown is playing Rutgers at 7:00 pm at the Verizon Center on the 3d, so if dinner were to begin around 6:45 pm or so, there should be plenty of availability at Penn Quarter restaurants.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by violist
I <3 Jaleo.
Alternative venues are welcome, IMO

If this is going to be downtown, put me down as a maybe.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Excellent!^ Luckily Captain Flanagan will be staying downtown, so no need to fight the traffic or arrange alternate forms of transportation.
Lucky - your blanket statement is not appropriate for the DC area, although it is well meant. The DC metro area is very large and spread out. It's not a matter of IF, just a matter of WHO is doing the driving, how far folks have to travel and in what type of traffic, what non-car transportation options are available, if any, etc.

Why don't you work with gvdIAD to pick an appropriate location as he has done a great job selecting venues for the various DC HHs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.