Search
Old May 20, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ANC RED-EYE
Confirmed Events

Upcoming Visits

catweazle 8 November to 11 November 2018

Local Residents

Here is the list of all known ANC-based FTers. Please feel free to update this list as needed.
  • akdude
  • AKronin
  • AKScotty
  • AKSteveB
  • alaskantraveler (ANC)
  • alphaeagle (In transit?)
  • alaskamatt
  • ANC
  • ANC RED-EYE (When he's not in SAP)
  • AKDan (Kenai Peninsula)
  • beckoa
  • billscann
  • BOB W (If there's wine there is a way)
  • BoeingOrNotGoing
  • Chugach
  • ChugiakAk
  • eastwest
  • erikatcuse
  • Faralaska
  • filmdept
  • geefour907
  • HDK
  • HRHMom
  • jackal (extended vacation)
  • Jazon256
  • kajaz
  • la2jax
  • Lake_Hood
  • Legend717
  • Major G (part-time)
  • msccpa1
  • meej
  • pipeliner
  • REC1111 (Kenai Peninsula)
  • Ruthalaska
  • Seat 2A (FAI; comes through ANC often)
  • SouthAnch
  • stellertony (mostly in OAK, visits 2-3x/year)
  • wanderlove
  • warmstor
  • whereishome?
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated ANC Meet-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by beckoa
Anything above -20 is shorts weather.
ha...yeah but only if you have a good heater in your car.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Yipes. I'm getting frightened! So extra thermals are now officially on my Christmas list.

We're trying to decide whether to stay in ANC the whole time or book an overnight tour in Talkeetna in hopes of seeing some scenery and possibly the northern lights. There's one that offers train, hotel and a pie making class (which sounds warm) for $219, which I thought sounded fairly reasonable. Probably much cheaper to drive, but I grew up in Southern California. I don't know how to drive in a flurry, never mind real snow.

Also, what constitutes a 'good coat'? We were in MN two winters when it reached -11 and locked the keys in the rental while trying to warm it up. My down coat kept me from dying, but I wouldn't say I was warm. What do you guys wear? When we visited the arctic circle in Finland, our hotel had winter gear in a full range of sizes we could rent if ours wasn't sufficient. Would that be likely in AK? And if not, is that a business opportunity someone could take advantage of?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Arsey00
Yipes. I'm getting frightened! So extra thermals are now officially on my Christmas list.

We're trying to decide whether to stay in ANC the whole time or book an overnight tour in Talkeetna in hopes of seeing some scenery and possibly the northern lights. There's one that offers train, hotel and a pie making class (which sounds warm) for $219, which I thought sounded fairly reasonable. Probably much cheaper to drive, but I grew up in Southern California. I don't know how to drive in a flurry, never mind real snow.

Also, what constitutes a 'good coat'? We were in MN two winters when it reached -11 and locked the keys in the rental while trying to warm it up. My down coat kept me from dying, but I wouldn't say I was warm. What do you guys wear? When we visited the arctic circle in Finland, our hotel had winter gear in a full range of sizes we could rent if ours wasn't sufficient. Would that be likely in AK? And if not, is that a business opportunity someone could take advantage of?
I've lived my entire life within 20-some miles of the California coast.
(1) A decent puffy North Face jacket with neck protection will keep your upper body plenty warm. ANC can be warmer than a good portion of the lower 48 during the winter. Another layer under your pants should be sufficient. Make sure you keep your feet from getting wet.
(2) Driving in light snow won't be a problem. But if it snows, then melts, then freezes, you're in trouble. Also, once you go inland, you could face nasty frozen fog.

And this is the advice from an "outsider."
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I like layers to keep warm when the mercury drops- and remember if you're doing much outside "cotton kills".
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by BoeingOrNotGoing
Anything above -20 is shorts weather.
ha...yeah but only if you have a good heater in your car.
Or blanket
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Talkeentna is a great little town to visit. The road is somewhat difficult in the wintertime for the people not used to driving in snow. Wintertime makes the Parks highway very dangerous in the winter. The train is a beautiful way to visit.

Dress like you were going to MN or Chicago in the wintertime and you will be just fine.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by gator21
Talkeentna is a great little town to visit. The road is somewhat difficult in the wintertime for the people not used to driving in snow. Wintertime makes the Parks highway very dangerous in the winter. The train is a beautiful way to visit.

Dress like you were going to MN or Chicago in the wintertime and you will be just fine.
Be sure to use the outdoor hottub if your property has one in TKA
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:27 am

Thanks to all for your insight. Although I'm still trying to work out what "cotton kills" might mean

Haven't booked anything yet, still looking at all the options. Someone suggested we might just want to fly to Fairbanks for an overnight if the aurora is our top wish. I've been following the aurora predictions but apparently need to be closer in to see where best to view them.

Still keen to meet up for a coffee or a drink, whichever we eventually decide.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks to all for your insight. Although I'm still trying to work out what "cotton kills" might mean

Haven't booked anything yet, still looking at all the options. Someone suggested we might just want to fly to Fairbanks for an overnight if the aurora is our top wish. I've been following the aurora predictions but apparently need to be closer in to see where best to view them.

Still keen to meet up for a coffee or a drink, whichever we eventually decide.
Definitely take the trip to Fairbanks and visit Chena Hot Springs. You can soak outside in a natural hot spring and watch the aurora while soaking. Its a pretty nice hotel and also has an ice museum. I also believe they have a service which will call you in the middle of the night when the lights come out. Makes it easy to sleep and then get up when they are out.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:27 am

Well, a series of house guests and Christmas got in the way and I made no plans at all, and now we leave tomorrow (one night in NY before continuing on). I've booked the Westmark for the two nights and I guess we will have to play things by ear. Still thinking about doing something organised, as I am still slightly worried about driving, but I suppose if the roads look good I'll consider it. We've got thermals and are prepared for the worst! (I hope).

Hope you're all having a wonderful time at tonight's Do, and that you all feel above average for the day tomorrow! We arrive just after midnight on the 3rd, leave just after midnight on the 5th, so essentially have the 3rd and 4th, if any of you have recovered enough by then to meet up!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Visiting ANC from NJ (though flying out of PHL) at the end of May. Hope to grab lots of beer for back home....and bring FTs any requests they may have. Dunkin..Yeungling..good wine?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Visiting ANC from NJ (though flying out of PHL) at the end of May. Hope to grab lots of beer for back home....and bring FTs any requests they may have. Dunkin..Yeungling..good wine?
Dunkin's overrated, Yuengling is cheap but doesn't compare to Midnight Sun/Silver Gulch/Moose's Tooth/Glacier BrewHouse/Alaskan Brewing/etc., and although NJ is fine, the wine selection in any store in ANC vastly outperforms the wine selection at any PLCB store in PHL.

That said, I'm sure the Alaskans who inhabit this thread might come up with something. One in particular might appreciate a cooler full of sausages and other meats.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Dunkin's overrated, Yuengling is cheap but doesn't compare to Midnight Sun/Silver Gulch/Moose's Tooth/Glacier BrewHouse/Alaskan Brewing/etc., and although NJ is fine, the wine selection in any store in ANC vastly outperforms the wine selection at any PLCB store in PHL.

That said, I'm sure the Alaskans who inhabit this thread might come up with something. One in particular might appreciate a cooler full of sausages and other meats.
It seems I may have an oversupply of sausages at this point

But by May...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jackal
Dunkin's overrated, Yuengling is cheap but doesn't compare to <> etc., and although NJ is fine, the wine selection in any store in ANC vastly outperforms the wine selection at any PLCB store in PHL.
I've walked into Russian River in California and Hair of the Dog in Portland and had folks buy rounds for a few Yeunglings. It's not always about Quality - it's what people miss/grew up with - and the lack of supply.

I'm pretty open to what people want/miss - as I wouldn't drink Yeungling myself.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
It seems I may have an oversupply of sausages at this point

But by May...
I am sure they are gone by now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.