Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk: 10-year Anniversaries...[merged threads]

FlyerTalk: 10-year Anniversaries...[merged threads]

Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Hey it's the PIP crew. Almost 10 years here.

wingless
wingess1
wingless2
wingless3
wingless4
Old Feb 5, 2008, 6:06 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
koko is right-- the past 10 years came by so fast!

Catman and MileageAddict: nice to see that you guys are still around. I haven't seen either of you in ages!

newself: We need to talk one of these days. My buddy Jailer has been out of touch too. No plans for SoCal yet but definitely LHR in July.

wingless: I didn't realize you had resurrected so many times. Any photos left of the PiP?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Who was the first public member to register excluding of course the FT staff..
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:42 am
Original Member

10 years of craziness and counting!

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Who was the first public member to register excluding of course the FT staff..
As to that, I am not sure we know. When FT was reorganized sometime in 1998, the existing members were issued member numbers in alphabetical order by screenname at that time. So, from the original members, I am not sure who of us was first. I am pretty sure it was not me, but don't really know who it was.

Had I known that was how they were going to do it, I would have signed up with the "AAAAAALawman" handle!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Djlawman
10 years of craziness and counting!

As to that, I am not sure we know. When FT was reorganized sometime in 1998, the existing members were issued member numbers in alphabetical order by screenname at that time. So, from the original members, I am not sure who of us was first. I am pretty sure it was not me, but don't really know who it was.

Had I known that was how they were going to do it, I would have signed up with the "AAAAAALawman" handle!
I didn't know there was a precursor to FT

what was the site called prior to FT where the "original" members came from... or is there a history of FT posted somewhere?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:56 am
Original Member

Now you are really pressing my memory. I have some vague recollection that the forum might have already been up and running, and then some member owned the rights to the FlyerTalk name, and donated it to Randy.

Anyone? Is that ringing a bell?

There might have been a discussion forum going on Webflyer or something like that prior to FT, which we came over from. But I am searching through a lot of cobwebs on this one.

Any other OM's (Original members) recall the scenario?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Djlawman
Now you are really pressing my memory. I have some vague recollection that the forum might have already been up and running, and then some member owned the rights to the FlyerTalk name, and donated it to Randy.

Sorry for posting, since I'm still an outsider.
But to answer your question, I was recently reminded by an old member NJDavid, (who by chance I sat next to on a new years day UA flight LAX/JFK), that he was one of a small group that gave Randy the Flyertalk name. I believe Catman and PremEx were part of that group. Paws up. ^

8th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour, coming this June.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:29 pm
Commander Catcop

[QUOTE=dhammer53;9199232]Sorry for posting, since I'm still an outsider.
But to answer your question, I was recently reminded by an old member NJDavid, (who by chance I sat next to on a new years day UA flight LAX/JFK), that he was one of a small group that gave Randy the Flyertalk name. I believe Catman and PremEx were part of that group. Paws up. ^

Humm... I can answer that question my friend dhammer.

In 1999, NJ David, Rudi and I (and PremEx too although he was not in NYC at the time) decided on a special "thank you" to Randy. I'll let NJDavid tell the story:

Quote: "Rudi, Catman and myself have completed the necessary paperwork to give Randy Petersen a gift - Very early on, wwe reserved "flyertalk.com" as a domain, and will officially present it in person in the near future. The Inside Flyer team will (I'm told) shortly be developing the "Flyertalk community" concept, including places to better display photos of our meetings."

I believe we officially presented the domain to Randy at the PIP in Nov of 1999.
The original thread is here... and if you click on the candids you can see FT-ers getting together in the early years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...yertalk+domain

Ah, those were special times.

As I said repeated... we won't be here if we can't pause to remember the HISTORY of what happened to get us here (if that makes sense.)

IT's nice to reflect back and look forward.

But one sad thing... I Miss COMMANDER CATCOP I'll have to find him to make a cameo for FT's 10th anniversary.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I have some vague recollection that the forum might have already been up and running, and then some member owned the rights to the FlyerTalk name, and donated it to Randy.

it is correct that, after Randy used the 'FlyerTalk' name/brand already for some time (months?), NJDavid had the idea (and did share that idea with Catman and I) to register the FlyerTalk 'brand' as an internet website/homepage and to (some months later) to gift the registered FlyerTalk website to Randy.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:19 pm
Original Member

Checking in too...10 years have gone by fast...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18 days to go. Hard to believe I've been here that long. The time has gone by so fast.

I've made lots of friends here over the years.
I've learned lots about miles and points.
I've learned to give back to this Community when I can. The kindness and generousity of Flyertalkers is overwhelming. ^

A special thanks to Randy for creating such a wonderful site.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dhammer53
18 days to go. Hard to believe I've been here that long. The time has gone by so fast.

I've made lots of friends here over the years.
I've learned lots about miles and points.
I've learned to give back to this Community when I can. The kindness and generousity of Flyertalkers is overwhelming. ^

A special thanks to Randy for creating such a wonderful site.
A decade of giving generously of your time and experience as you have is to be commended. Accept my congratulations and hearty thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
mine comes up in January

and I am considering a party..watch the Community forum for details...starting around November...

and congrats to my MENTOR Dhammer53!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Hard to believe I've been here that long.
I don't think a year has gone by that I haven't seen you somewhere (Spain, NYC, SF). Could the first time have been the Original Brooklyn Reality Tour?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Could the first time have been the Original Brooklyn Reality Tour?
Nope. The BWI RCC in November 2000. You were the 5th Flyertalker that I met (along with JeffS).

Squeakr is an old friend from the AOL boards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.