Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

You're MYYYY-YYYYYYY, baby you're my favorite waste of time (5,000th post)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.

As my 5,000th, just a general note of appreciation to all that make FlyerTalk and even OMNI what it is. There are thousands of bulletin boards out there now. Am probably subscribed to 8 or 9 others, some of which are arguably even better "fits" for work, other hobbies or interests.

But still I'm clearly drawn to this one for the lion's share of BBS (and lots of non-BBS!) time. Must be something about it. My best guess as to why is that the travel and miles focus is a selecting factor for most people at first (my first posts were heavily travel-related), but the long-term stickiness might be just as much from other things brought to the table.

Politically OMNI might even be that rarest of creatures where the numbers on the right and the left are close to balance because travel and the mileage game, rather than some political bent, drew people in. There are plenty of other places for heated discussions, but most cater to one viewpoint or another and are, or become, more like mouthpieces than bona fide battlegrounds. Few keep balance over time...if Randy could figure out a way to monetize that with OMNI he could add another 0 to his net worth.

Unfortunately the 4,999 posts before this one have done a great job occupying the time that was to go toward a novel or screenplay. Or not, but one can always total the words & time and wonder. My ignorance of most things Web 2.0 is mainly due to having filled up all my time with killer apps from Web 1.0 like this one.

But it's a draw. So give yourselves a collective hand (in aggregate).
:-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-:^

(Morse code for "I can't believe it's after midnight again already!")
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
you're not special
you're not a beautiful and unique snowflake
you're not your ....ing postcount

Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Congrats!!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by DEVIS
you're not special
you're not a beautiful and unique snowflake
you're not your ....ing postcount

Hehehe...I think on eBay it'd mean you get a purple star next to your handle. After having a red star ever since 1,000.

Meaningful? Probably not.

Noticed? Yep. In that car-odometer-rolling-over-to-100,000 kinda way. Don't tell me you don't look when you see 99999.X

Still a wait before 10,000, though. Unless Randy introduces some cool icon.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow, just under 7 years to get to 5,000, and now about the same additional time to get to #15,000 (this post). An accelerating malignancy!

Time to book that trip to Camp Incommunicado somewhere in the Amazon basin.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Congrats

Thought it said 50,000th at first glance
and was prepared to offer condolences instead
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by RustyC
Wow, just under 7 years to get to 5,000, and now about the same additional time to get to #15,000 (this post). An accelerating malignancy!

Time to book that trip to Camp Incommunicado somewhere in the Amazon basin.
It took me nearly 8 years to hit 5,000 and my own pace has slowed. I need to fix that.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't think its very good idea. You can't used on OMNI forums. I'll alert the moderator immediately. They will moved to Games Forums.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
I don't think its very good idea. You can't used on OMNI forums. I'll alert the moderator immediately. They will moved to Games Forums.
G, somebody bumped it again! I thought it was just gonna fall to the ocean floor like before, only to be rescued in 7 years like so many dishes on the Titanic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.