"Oz Fest #4" - Melbourne Australia - Memorial Day weekend May 25-27, 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #4" - Melbourne Australia - Memorial Day weekend May 25-27, 2007

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:23 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Oh goodie! I'll finally partake in the 16-oz Weighlifting World Championships ...

Maybe catch a game of footie while savoring some awesome meat pies and downing delightful aussie reds.

Btw, that bottle you kindly brought us was ssssswwwwweeeeeeeettttt!!! ^ ^

So where are we staying for Hotel Central? I read the whole thread and I am still confused. For now, I have reservations at the Hilton on the Park at $180 a night.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Finding a sudden deluge of C award availability on UA, my girlfriend (FTer waterstrider - aka Abby) and I are confirmed for MEL on Memorial day! ^^

I've never been to a DO before, so I figured I'd start with the most distant one possible! (And then not earn miles for it... )

We're arriving in SYD a week before (Fri 18th), so we're all ears for ideas on where to go and what to see in SYD or beyond for the week.

The DC-area contingent for ozfest is growing!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chrisw

I've never been to a DO before
Well 24 folks is surely not a bad start Chris? And free etched beer glasses to boot.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=380

Good to see the DC crowd descending on us again - we had a few here this year as well.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Aug 9, 2006 at 10:14 pm
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
deleted

Last edited by lili; Aug 10, 2006 at 7:51 am Reason: to delete dumb comment
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I'm moving back to Syd in Jan so please put me down as a definite maybe
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Please put me down as a maybe. I'm going to try to snag a UA XC award. Are there other Oz destinations I can stop at while on a *A award down under? Tried the *A site but their map function is down.

Last edited by nor4; Sep 8, 2006 at 8:27 am
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by nor4
Please put me down as a maybe. I'm going to try to snag a UA XC award. Are there other Oz destinations I can stop at while on a *A award down under? Tried the *A site but there map function is down.
Clearly you can stop over in SYD on your way to MEL. I think you only get 1 stop over - it could be NZ if you wish though.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
I knew about the options on UA and NZ (SYD and NZ and have done them in the past), but are there other options that will get me to some of the far-flung protions of Oz? I've been thinking about the north coast and west coast.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nor4
I knew about the options on UA and NZ (SYD and NZ and have done them in the past), but are there other options that will get me to some of the far-flung protions of Oz? I've been thinking about the north coast and west coast.
On *A? Both SQ, TG and NZ fly to PER. NZ is only one to fly to CNS. SQ and NZ fly to ADL. SQ, TG and NZ fly to BNE. None of these are intra australia flights.

For domestic flights you have Qantas, Jetstar (LCC subsidiary of QF but no points or OW status benefits except for QFF), Virgin Blue. Some regional routes also have local carriers.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
A round of drinks are on me dcgators .

Many thanks once again for your most generous access to the dcgators Limo Service from Dulles airport, to downtown Washington recently. :-:

We'll hopefully allow you to see a real sport being played when you are down here.

Glen
I shall be seeking to maintain my biennial attendance at Oz Fest #4 with Mrs TEX277 in tow this time. For the moment though, please do mark us down as 'Golds'.

Should that turn into 'Platinum', I doubt dcgators will need to buy a drink at all!

Last edited by TEX277; Nov 15, 2006 at 8:18 am
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by TEX277
Should that turn into 'Platinum', I doubt dcgators will need to buy a drink at all!
Uuummm. That sounds really promising!

And since we are no longer allowed to bring liquids onboard, I'll just have to make sure to consume all the contraband before taking my seat in C ...

Seriously, I sure hope you and the Mrs. will make if down under so we can get a chance to meet up ... ^

So ... Plats ... Plats ... Plats ... Plats ... Plats ...

Last edited by dcgators; Nov 15, 2006 at 4:47 am
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:37 am

Any update on hotel central? I am such a type-A that I want to make sure that I am staying at or near all the festivities.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dcgators

Any update on hotel central? I am such a type-A that I want to make sure that I am staying at or near all the festivities.
This has been widely discussed in the thread - and the Hilton, despite not being right downtown seems to have support. I have certainly booked a few nights there at a good rate. Fully cancellable of course.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:39 am

I notice the Hilton has increased their rates for the weekend by $20/ night (Cheapest rate was $180, now it's $200 / night).

Doesn't seem to be related to our trip planning as other weekends are the same, but still serves as a reminder to book a flexible stay early, then monitor for changes where you can rebook to save $.

(That is assuming the Hilton is party central - There are other hotels that could be candidates).
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:07 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Good thinking Aus_Mal, now booked the Hilton for the Friday night (even stretched myself to a junior suite) and will book either the Westin or Langham for the Saturday (will decide later depending where I need the points/stays most). I'm sure FT is bad for me

Jeff

Last edited by jswong; Aug 22, 2006 at 5:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.