FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Subscribe
Note: The first 24 posts on this thread concern events from May 28. I bumped it today (July 12) when the shooting began again. Discussion of the most recent incidents begin on post # 25.

Early this morning, I was on the "Who will be the next..." thread when Monitor asked me what I was doing up so early. I gave the following reply:

Quote: Actually, I would normally get up at 4:30 but I was awakened by a rather loud exchange of artillery fire.

I don't know if it was an actual fire fight across the border (which would be rather unusual) or if the Israeli Army was engaged in some kind of training (which would be even more unusual at this time of night) but there were at least two sites firing -- one close to me and one a bit further away.

I haven't received an SMS security alert so I presume that it can't be too serious and the firing stopped about 30 minutes ago.
As it turned out, it was actually one side firing. Terrorists in South Lebanon were shooting katuysha rockets into Northern Israel. What I thought were shots being fired from near me were exactly that -- the katuyshas were launched from very close to my home (but on the other side of the border).

They did not pass over me, so I didn't hear the sound of the rockets in air, but landed about 10 kilometers away. The explosions they made on impact were what I thought were shots being made from a distance.

A more complete report can be found in this article in the Jerusalem Post but while the newspaper has full details (including Israel's retaliatory raids on terrorist camps) the first report came to you on Omni.

Perhaps it is time for a new Omni slogan:

We may not get it right, but we get it fast!
Quote: ....

We may not get it right, but we get it fast!
Sadly, that motto is being used by Mrs. Up in discussions of our sex life.
Israelis and Palestinians shooting at each other is news?

I would think that a day without them trying to kill each other would be news.
Sounds more like p****d off Lebanese people rather than p****d off Palestinians in this case. The beauty of that part of the world lies in the number of people who are really quite angry.
Lebanese are not Palestinians.

Moreover, the situation is potentially much more dangerous -- for the entire region -- than the Palestinian intifada.

Hizbollah, which has been the only group to fire into Israel, is a proxy agent of Syria (to a great degree) and Israel has long said that it holds Syria responsible for Hizbollah's actions.

Attacks such as these could easily lead to a war.
It seems like the violence never ends. Israel can continue to appease its enemies forever but I doubt there will ever be peace until one side completely kills off the other side. I think Israel should have kept every square inch of land it occupied. The world does not understand that there will be no peace until every Jew is dead. Even then, the Muslims will fight amongst themselves like they have since the beginning of Islam.

Must be frustrating but I hope Lebanon does not end up at war with Israel again. I really want to visit Beruit someday.

Glad you are safe this morning, Dovster.
Actually, it is afternoon here now -- almost 12 hours exactly since this morning's shootings.

I just posted the following in the "Who will be the next..." thread.

"All of northern Israel is now on the highest possible alert. If Monitor is reading this post, he will remember the "Northern Road" which we drove on when he came to my kibbutz after the TLV Meet in November. That road is closed to all traffic except military vehicles.

(snip)

PS: While I was writing the above there was a second series of shots and this time I can hear both the launchings and the impact -- and both of them are quite a bit closer. I expect to get an SMS message any moment warning me to stay in my house's shelter. As I don't have a computer cable in there, I think I will pass on it.
"

As I wrote that last paragraph, I did get the SMS message, but it is not quite as strong as I had expected: "Area on high alert -- remain in your houses".
Okay, now things have really gotten out of hand!

The shooting is continuing and my ex, who doesn't have a bomb shelter in her house, just showed up at my front door to stay in mine.

There is a limit to what one can be expected to endure even in times of crisis and having Dementia (and her German Shepherd) stay in my house goes beyond that limit!
Quote:
There is a limit to what one can be expected to endure even in times of crisis and having Dementia (and her German Shepherd) stay in my house goes beyond that limit!
Dov, I know this isnt a humorous situation but I couldnt help a over this statement.
Stay safe and let us know how the situation plays out.
Quote: Dov, I know this isnt a humorous situation but I couldnt help a over this statement.
Your darned right that this is not a humorous situation. I don't mind the German Shepherd but who needs his ex in his shelter????

Apparently, our local, friendly, terrorists were aiming closer to our kibbutz. I say "were" because about five minutes ago the sounds of the firing changed completely and we received SMS messages telling us that the "IDF is firing at Hizbollah sites."

In the meantime, Dementia is huddled on the floor of the shelter (the bed is covered with a million things belonging to my kids -- like my son's bar bells) and I am about to take a quick walk to the kibbutz shop (less than 1 minute by foot) to see if they are open and, if so, to get some chocolate ice cream.
I see that Israeli jets have struck back:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...non/index.html
Quote: I see that Israeli jets have struck back:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...non/index.html

That article refers to the earlier strikes mentioned in the article I linked to in the OP.

Right now, there are literally 10's of booms every minute. Most of them, I believe, are IDF bombing of Hizbollah but every so often there is what is clearly a katyusha flying overhead followed by a rather loud explosion.

My regular telephone does not work in the shelter (the walls block its reception) so Dementia is busying running up my mobile phone bill by calling everybody in her family to let them know how scared she is.

I am certain that they find this very comforting.
My biggest fear is that the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, will give proof through the night that Dementia is still there!
And Analise was fretting over a few alligators in Florida!

Stay safe, Dov (from the danger outside and in).
Quote: And Analise was fretting over a few alligators in Florida!

Stay safe, Dov (from the danger outside and in).
It appears now to be over. There has been no shooting for a while, the television news announced that there has been a ceasefire, and Dementia has returned to her house.

We are still, however, being told to stay in our homes.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  11  51  101