Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Anyone else impressed by how much SMS seems to be relied on to share updates and warnings? It's great that its widely and effectively used. In the US, you're lucky sometimes to find someone who knows they have that capability.

Keep safe.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Dov - do you have any sense of how seriously Israel takes the possibility that Haifa could actually be hit by their weapons?
It is taking it very seriously. In fact, even worse than a hit on Haifa would be a hit on its northern suburbs. These contain many chemical plants and oil refineries and a rocket attack on one of them would be a catastrophe.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Or firing to provide cover for moving in additional resources, permitting such resources to move around a wee bit, or to suppress whatever (if any) ground-to-air and ground-to-ground capabilities are on the other side?
Machine gun fire is used against mostly against personnel, not equipment. If the Air Force is using it, it believes that there are personnel in the area -- be they there for attack purposes or to keep additional forces from moving in.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is taking it very seriously. In fact, even worse than a hit on Haifa would be a hit on its northern suburbs. These contain many chemical plants and oil refineries and a rocket attack on one of them would be a catastrophe.
Sounds like Hezbollah's ideal target in that case. Wasn't that something like what Saddam Hussein & Co. was hoping to hit and ignite in 1992-1993?

Originally Posted by Dovster
Or firing to provide cover for moving in additional resources, permitting such resources to move around a wee bit, or to suppress whatever (if any) ground-to-air and ground-to-ground capabilities are on the other side?
Machine gun fire is used against mostly against personnel, not equipment. If the Air Force is using it, it believes that there are personnel in the area -- be they there for attack purposes or to keep additional forces from moving in.
As you said, but machine gun fire to provide cover for moving in additional resources (of its own), permitting such resources (of its own) to move around a wee bit, or to suppress whatever (if any) ground-to-air and ground-to-ground capabilities are on the other side is what it could be doing with such firing.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Kibison
I think Israel should have kept every square inch of land it occupied. The world does not understand that there will be no peace until every Jew is dead. Even then, the Muslims will fight amongst themselves like they have since the beginning of Islam.
Well at this point, it does look like that would have been best for the potential of peace. The current situation lends to a constant fight within Israel's borders that will seemingly never end as opposed to just coming from the outside.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Sounds like Hezbollah's ideal target in that case. Wasn't that something like what Saddam Hussein & Co. was hoping to hit and ignite in 1992-1993?
Duh. I didn't even think of this for some reason. That makes perfect sense. The mall that resides on the spot that a Scud hit during the first Gulf War is just inside Haifa Bay, near all of those plants...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pointeater
Well at this point, it does look like that would have been best for the potential of peace. The current situation lends to a constant fight within Israel's borders that will seemingly never end as opposed to just coming from the outside.
Items such as the one you responded to in the above are likely to get this topic to become more worthy of OMNI than anything else.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Items such as the one you responded to in the above are likely to get this topic to become more worthy of OMNI than anything else.
I can't contribute to the content of this thread, but I'm riveted by it. Can we keep this thread limited to what is happening, and if necessary start a different thread in OMNI for whose fault it is and how to fix it?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:02 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SJC1K
I can't contribute to the content of this thread, but I'm riveted by it. Can we keep this thread limited to what is happening, and if necessary start a different thread in OMNI for whose fault it is and how to fix it?
^ I second that thought! I'm keeping close tabs on this thread for the current events aspect, but don't want to read the whose fault discussion.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:03 am
Suspended

That's my reasoning for mentioning what I mentioned.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

I agree and here's the OMNI thread for political comments on this issue.
As best we can, let's keep this thread devoted to commentary on the breaking news of this conflict.
Thanks.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:07 am
Original Poster

There already is an Omni thread (in fact two) doing just that.

I do, however, agree with your major point.

I live in the part of Israel which getting the most fire from Hizbollah. BEYFlyer lives in the suburbs of Beirut which are most apt to be attacked by the IDF.

I would greatly appreciate it if everybody who posts on this one particular thread does so within the limits demonstrated by BEYFlyer and myself. There is no need, after all, to be "more Catholic than the Pope".
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Dovster and BEYFLYER, my prayers are with you, your family and friends as well as the Middle East and the World.

This is a sad sad day
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:18 am
Original Poster

The name of the game just changed -- and not for the good.

The first rocket fell in Haifa a few minutes ago. This is completely different from rockets being fired at small cities and isolated communities in the far north. Haifa and its suburbs have over a million residents. Moreover, unlike the communities in the north many homes there are not prepared with bomb shelters.

Israel has been saying that if an attack is made on Haifa all stops will be pulled out in its retaliatory strikes in Lebanon.

Until now, we had a dangerous situation. Now we have a war.

BEYFlyer, if you are still able to read this thread, please redouble any steps you have been taking to protect yourself.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Dovster, BEYFLYER, & GK... please stay safe.

I missed this thread, and now that I've read it all, I'm both horrified and comforted by the contents of it. The powers that be should read & learn from it.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I just talked to my boyfriend who is in Haifa at the moment, he says life is going on somewhat normally (he was at the gym with his (and my ..sort of ) ex-BF).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.