Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

London Do: November 11, 12, 2006 (Remembrance Day and Veterans Weekend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Do: November 11, 12, 2006 (Remembrance Day and Veterans Weekend)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
This is only the 3rd day the thread is up, the event isn't until November and there are almost 100 posts already -- most of the posts are from people putting the weekend on their calendars. I certainly doubt with that much interest, you'd only get 9 takers for anything you suggested.

If it's dinner, my vote is for Friday as long as I find a flight Thursday night and can get Friday off from work, of course.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:31 pm

It would be a real pity to have between 18 and 32 interested in The Ivy because that would really rule it out. With 18 it would be possible to do 9 on Friday and another 9 on Sunday. Even nine is a bit of a squeeze as the table normally seats 8 and it's the largest table in the main restaurant (they actively discourage large groups). We managed OK last week though so it's entirely possible.

I've not dined in the Private Room myself yet but I know others who have (including Wingnut who had his last birthday bash there) and I get very good reports.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:38 pm

I was at that DO in the Ivy last weekend - and it was fab, so anything to get back in there.

Put me down as a maybe with very strong inclinations (if there's such a thing )
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SarahWest
I know it's a bit early to talk about food plans but I'd be willing to host a lunch or dinner at The Ivy on Friday, Saturday or Sunday for anyone in town. I can do up to nine people (including me) in the main restaurant (that's their largest table) or we can do the Private Room for between 32 and 60 confirmed. I hosted the London SIN Do III for nine there just over a week ago and it's safe to say that folks enjoyed it very much. I'll need to check the Private Room availability that weekend if anyone is interested. Lunch is possible from 11.30am until 5.00pm and dinner from 6.30pm until 1.00am. ...
SarahWest, I'd be delighted to see you again and join you for lunch or dinner at The Ivy, in either the main restaurant or the Private Room. Actually, depending on interest, the Private Room might be preferable, as I recall the main restaurant can be noisy at times. YHM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Plat
I love London, especially the Tate Modern. Any art fiends in the mix?

Put me down as "tentative": looking for the right fare on AA from SEA.

I hope my glamorous jet-setting wife can join. She starts Otolyrngology surgery residency in SoCal in July, so it will be a bit before I know her availability.

Great idea! Too bad we're not scheduling this for summer: Hyde Park would accomodate a lot of FT-ing picknickers.

^ ^ ^
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Spiff, a hotel near Heathrow? I guess it will be a late late late night bus for you!
Last Piccadilly Line for me Saturday night.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by kennethfine
I love London, especially the Tate Modern. Any art fiends in the mix?

Put me down as "tentative": looking for the right fare on AA from SEA.

I hope my glamorous jet-setting wife can join. She starts Otolyrngology surgery residency in SoCal in July, so it will be a bit before I know her availability.

Great idea! Too bad we're not scheduling this for summer: Hyde Park would accomodate a lot of FT-ing picknickers.

^ ^ ^
I really enjoy art, but art on the edge. In the US, any city's MOMA or small experimental sites with killer/amusing/sentient art is usually a winner. Am not a fan of "modern" art classified as post-Flaubert.

What is Otolyrngology? and where in SoCal (we do have great FT dinners here)

See you in London, or SAN
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

mmm.. brunch at the Tate Modern cafe!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Otolaryngology is the the ear, nose and throat speciality. A good one to have in the family.

Where in So. Cal? My bro did his residency at UCSD.

I'm up for any good meal, but can't we leave the the middle of town once in a while?

lala
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by lili
I really enjoy art, but art on the edge. In the US, any city's MOMA or small experimental sites with killer/amusing/sentient art is usually a winner. Am not a fan of "modern" art classified as post-Flaubert.

What is Otolyrngology? and where in SoCal (we do have great FT dinners here)

See you in London, or SAN
Thanks for the friendly words, lili. Otolyrangology surgery is also known as "Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT)" surgery.

To know what Oto surgeons work on, try this friendly mental exercise: imagine your head cut off at the neck. Now pop out your eyeballs; that's the domain of Ophthomologists. Also suck out the brain and anything to do with it: your mind belongs to the neurosurgeons. What's left is what Otolyrangologists are interested in: facial plastics and reconstruction, nose stuff, sinus stuff, weird tongue-cancer stuff.

My wife is starting Oto surgery residency at UC Irvine July 1. My late interest in frequent flying is a function of the fact that I will be commuting back and forth between Seattle and Irvine (as well as the fact that I adore visiting places like NYC). It will be cool to be back in California: I lived in San Diego from 1973-1975 and in SoCal/OC from 1981-1984. Bet it's changed a bit since I was a kid.

Sounds like the Tate Modern would be right up your ally. Visited in 2003 as an unofficial "celebration" of the start of Gulf War II (not really, bought tix 6 months prior...history got in the way.) Some crazy, audacious, breathtaking installations: check out the photos I shot of this Anish Kapoor temporary sculpture, hundreds of feet long:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideapod/tags/tate/

Anyway: hope to catch you in merry old England. Will depend a lot on finding the "right" fare across the pond.

-KF
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I would love to do a really good curry for dinner.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kennethfine
Thanks for the friendly words, lili. Otolyrangology surgery is also known as "Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT)" surgery.

To know what Oto surgeons work on, try this friendly mental exercise: imagine your head cut off at the neck. Now pop out your eyeballs; that's the domain of Ophthomologists. Also suck out the brain and anything to do with it: your mind belongs to the neurosurgeons. What's left is what Otolyrangologists are interested in: facial plastics and reconstruction, nose stuff, sinus stuff, weird tongue-cancer stuff.

-KF
Makes for great dinner time conversation and fun vacation slides, just ask TPML.

Good luck getting a cheap fare out of SEA on AA. I haven't bought a SEA-LON ticket for under 650 in a year and most are 700-900 bucks. I'm just going to bite the bullet and see if I can get a rollover when the time comes.

lala
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff

Mmmm. Brick Lane or Southall anyone?

Yum.

Maybe I'll leave on Thursday and stay until Monday.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:33 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm with you there Spiff.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
alex0683de, we don't know each other - and let's change that.
Thanks for the kind words, SanDiego1K. Not a single FTer knows me personally yet - and that is indeed something I would love to change. See you in London! (<-- 99% sure I'll be there)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It's way too early to say for sure where we will end up, but curry/Indian is on the list of potential food options for the Saturday night - it's London, how could it not be

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.