"Oz Fest 3" - Brisbane - Memorial Day weekend May 26-28, 2006

"Oz Fest 3" - Brisbane - Memorial Day weekend May 26-28, 2006

Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Arrow "Oz Fest 3" - Brisbane - Memorial Day weekend May 26-28, 2006

"Oz Fest #3" - Brisbane - Memorial Day weekend May 26-28, 2006

Most of the recent posts on the "Oz Fest 2" thread were discussing dates for "Oz Fest 3" in 2006.

To allow that very long thread to fade away gracefully after some 30,000 page views, it seems a timely move to start a new thread specifically for the 2006 weekend. I've had many emails asking for that to be done, so here we go. We need to start somewhere.

The consensus of many posts there voted for 2006 to be held in Brisbane Queensland, narrowly winning over Melbourne:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&page=24&pp=30

I feel certain there will be an "Oz Fest 4" in 2007, and MEL would seem to be the obvious "odds-on' contender for that one.

QF WP and serfty have both kindly offered to be key part of any 'Oz Fest 3" organising committee that might be formed. Both are great 'detail' guys, and gave me a lot of assistance with the last two "Oz Fest" events. ^

I will certainly be a confirmed starter to attend, and I'd be pleased to assist where I can, if required. There are many active FT'ers based in BNE, and I am sure Lindsay and Ross will find some excellent local committee members to share the load up there. ^

serfty is a very organised guy, and has kindly volunteered to keep these important links below updated:

* List of Attendees

* Activities Schedule

Once again, the May Memorial Day weekend 2006 seemed very popular with USA based Flyertalkers, and that is the weekend that was most favored by far.

That holiday is Monday May 29th 2006 I believe. Remember if you LEAVE Sydney on the afternoon of Monday May 29, you ARRIVE back in the USA on the morning of Monday May 29. Tons of time to get back home, unpack, have an early night and get organised for a day at the office next day etc. These are the flight times for United, who have SFO and LAX flights each day from SYD and MEL.

"Oz Fest 3" is held in BNE and for It'l visitors, remember that domestic flights from either SYD or MEL are very cheap most times, on either Qantas, Virgin Blue or Jetstar, and are only a hour or two in duration. There are many direct flights to and from NZ direct from BNE via several carriers, in case Americans want a NZ stopover en-route. @:-)

Qantas have recently announced services to SFO and then YVR (IIRC) from Australia starting from earlier 2006, and for those in that area wanting One World miles or using AA miles to redeem seats on QF, locking in that route NOW might be a path to look at? And an award or revenue flight from USA can generally have a BNE end destination at no more cost in $$$s or miles than SYD or MEL I imagine?

"Oz Fest 2" ran very smoothly all seem to agree, and we attracted 58 attendees, (over double the crowd for "Oz Fest #1") and a clear record for a Southern Hemisphere FT event. Flyertalkers from 5 continents flew in. I am sure we will see many familiar faces in 2006 as well - and maybe the organisers can crack the 100 mark this time around.

Everyone is welcome. Your age, or FF status does not matter. By all means bring a partner or friends to whatever you attend - I am sure all days will be good fun, with good company, whether they are FF'ers or not. :-:

Weather in Sydney for the last two "Oz Fests" was superb and sunny, despite June 1 - a few days later, being our official Winter start date. Brisbane normally has even warmer weather than Sydney, so it should be a great time to visit. And fares from BNE to Cairns (Barrier Reef gateway) are generally very reasonable if pre-booked in sale times, and you can easily drive to the Gold Coast or Sunshine coasts.

I get the feeling this may also turn out to be a very long thread.

Last edited by ozstamps; Mar 6, 2006 at 6:31 pm Reason: updated
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Let me be the first to go on the "Maybe" list.

I loved my two visits to Australia (which included stays in Sydney for Ozfest #1 and #2, as well as other activities; and visits to Melbourne and Adelaide and environs the first year, and Brisbane and environs the second year).

I'm a "maybe" only because the date (May 2006) is just too far in the future for me to plan right now.

Anyhow, Brisbane is a great place to visit, and for those who have some extra time before or after the Do, a day trip to Moreton Island is a must. ^

And one of the dinner venues for the Do has to be the Breakfast Creek Hotel.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Yah bling me up for definate maybe.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Ready for holiday #12 Down Under. Color me confirmed. Plenty of QF availability. I'll be doing a 2-3 week trip around this.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
as a soon to be newly-minted Platinum QF FF...

count me in as a definite. And, of course, Roo.

:-)
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:14 pm

Hooray, I can attend!!

Glen,
You can count me in for this one. It does make it a little easier living pretty close to BNE's CBD.
I am more than happy to help QF WP & Serfty with any logistical issues.
Also I am very prepared to sacrifice my time and test out venues such as Breaky Creek or even Cha Cha Char......

Cheers
IainF
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
0 for 3

D'oh!

I'm going to China that week. Already booked.

One of these days I'll make it to the do I named.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
This far out, I will be a definite maybe . I just have to check and see if FTers have already scored the saver F seats on UA for that weekend yet
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:29 pm
Suspended

You realise these are the same dates as the Bali DO. While I will be residing in OZ in May 2006, I probably will miss this as I have already planned on heading up to Bali for that event.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Gosh, I wanted to go too, but I'm already booked on a trip to GIG that same weekend.

Maybe I will make the 2007 one.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Is Brisbane very different from Sydney?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes BNE very different from SYD - like comparing Miami to New York.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Arrow List of Attendees

Platinum - Confirmed (28)
ozstamps & Margaret
QF WP & Mrs QF WP
serfty & Jenny
mrs IainF
tom911
JohnSydney2000
Bundy Bear
molasis
Aus_Mal
MRSTARALLIANCE
QFBoy
jswong
gvdIAD
restlessinRNO
perthite
RichardMEL
Itsalongwaydown x 2
kpc
JohnK
DCjoe
jrobin
tiki
ozmerish
cabbage74
Gold - Definite Maybes (2)
d00t
dannyr
Silver - Interested (2)
ajnz
RichardUKAus
Bronze - Scratched
Kiwi Flyer
MapleLeaf
aviationkiwi
Spiff
franjelley
tuapekastar
cathaana
goosegreen
TEX277 (nee adamwebster)
techgirl
PresRDC
lili
johnep1
qasr
monitor & Franny
Russell Corr
bdschobel
QF009
tazi
chexfan
KathyWdrf
infoworks
Efrem
ddron
NM
IainF
Press Photog
corbetti & roo
AndersB
BlacKnox x 2
Koenji

Last edited by serfty; May 25, 2006 at 8:02 pm Reason: Updates
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Post Activities Schedule

I have listed below the scheduled OZFest III activities and those who have confirmed their attendance on or after 11th May. Detailed Information on these events is available in QF WP's post here:

Click Here for the OzFest III Schedule of events.

If you see an activity posted here that you are attending and you are not listed, please post a reply:

Click here to reply. (with no quote).

Friday 26 May 2006

3:15/3:30pm: Meet in Hilton Foyer before Walking/sharing cabs to XXXX Alehouse

Walking (3:15pm): [4]
DCJoe, Itsalongwaydown, perthite, jswong

Taxi Share (3:30pm): [3]
ozstamps & Margaret, Sue

4pm: XXXX Brewery Tour

Attendees: [11]
tom911, Margaret and ozstamps, jswong, Bundy Bear, DCJoe, perthite, RichardMEL, jrobin, Itsalongwaydown & Sue

5:30pm: Meet in Hilton Foyer before sharing cabs to the meet and greet at the Metro on Gipps Hotel.

Meeting: [3]
kpc, restlessinRNO, gvdIAD

6pm: “Pre Dinner Drinks: Meet & Greet” Metro on Gipps Hotel. (as VB CEO unable to attend)

Attendees: [20]
QF WP & mrs QF WP, tom911, kpc, Margaret and ozstamps, jswong, Aus_Mal, Bundy Bear, gvdIAD, DCJoe, restlessinRNO, perthite, RichardMEL, jrobin, ozmerish, Mrs IainF, cabbage74, Itsalongwaydown & Sue

8pm: Breakfast Creek Hotel “Beer off the Wood and World Famous Steaks”

Attendees: [24]
QF WP & mrs QF WP, tom911, serfty & Jenny, kpc, Margaret and ozstamps, jswong, Aus_Mal, Bundy Bear, gvdIAD, DCJoe, restlessinRNO, perthite, RichardMEL x 2, jrobin, ozmerish, Mrs IainF, cabbage74, Itsalongwaydown & Sue, JohnSydney2000

Saturday 27 May 2006

8:45am: Bus Tour of the City - Including River Cruise - Half-day bus tour taking people around to some of the main sights. Leaves from Hilton, returning approx. 1pm.

Attending: [9]
kpc, Margaret and ozstamps, jswong, DCJoe, restlessinRNO, perthite, jrobin, tom911

4.00pm: Hilton Brisbane “Meet & Greet”

Attendees: [20]
QF WP & mrs QF WP, serfty & Jenny, kpc, Margaret and ozstamps, jswong, gvdIAD, DCJoe, restlessinRNO, QFBoy, perthite, jrobin, RichardMEL, Tiki, Itsalongwaydown & Sue, JohnSydney2000, Bundy Bear

7pm:Saturday Dinner: Dinner at Pier Nine Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill.

Attendees: [21]
Margaret and ozstamps, restlessinRNO, kpc, serfty & Jenny, gvdIAD, jrobin, JohnK, DCJoe, jswong, Mrs QF WP and QF WP, ozmerish, Mrs IainF, cabbage74, Bundy Bear, Itsalongwaydown & Sue, perthite, JohnSydney2000

Sunday 28 May 2006

Sunday 11 AM: The Normal Hotel, Wollongabba (for early lunch) before some go off to the Gabba.

Attendees: [15]
serfty, kpc, Margaret and ozstamps, Aus_Mal, JohnK, DCJoe, restlessinRNO, perthite, jrobin, tom911, cabbage74, Itsalongwaydown & Sue, JohnSydney2000

1.10pm: AFL Match – Brisbane Lions v Fremantle Dockers @ The Gabba

Attendees: [14]
perthite, kpc, serfty x 2, JohnK, jrobin, Bundy Bear, gvdIAD, JohnSydney2000 x 2, Margaret and ozstamps, DCJoe, cabbage74

Still on the drawing board:

Sunday AM: Brisbane River via CityCats (high speed ferry service)

Interested: [4]
Margaret and ozstamps, jrobin, tom911

__________________________________________________ ______________
An outline of the events are as follows:

Friday 26 May 2006

4pm: XXXX Brewery Tour

Booking has been made for the Friday 4PM tour.

Please arrive 10 minutes prior to the tour.
Please note that at different times, some sections of the brewery’s packaging area may not be operating. State-of-the-art audio-visual equipment provides the full information and shows the equipment in operation.
For health and safety reasons, all visitors must wear fully enclosed shoes

Also be aware that the tour does incorporate the climbing of a decent number of (metal) stairs located within the Brewery.

The tour takes approximately one hour and fifteen minutes. We can have a quick beer at the end of the tour. I have a free 4 drink card (soft drink only) that we can use for any non-drinkers. I have guaranteed the booking with my CC – we can cancel outside of 48 hours without penalty. Unfortunately, we don’t have time to stay for a long drink or meal (more of that later in the night), because of another function hot-on-the-heels:

6pm: Virgin Blue CEO “Meet & Greet”

Due to the "aircraft leasing issue"; VB have had to move a 2-day Management Meeting to encompass this Friday and Saturday. This means Brett Godfrey is not available to attend our event. nor the two alternates that had been lined up to speak.

Rather than cancel the event, we'll still go ahead with the drinks as it is on the way from either the first event or the City; to the Brekky Creek. I have invited any VB staff to the pub for a drink.
At present, I have been able to organise Brett Godfrey (work permitting) to address the group on “how he got to where he is”. This is a very informal (over a beer) chat with the CEO of Virgin Blue at the end of a long week. Venue is the old Bonaparte’s Tavern (now known as Metro on Gipps), cnr. St Pauls Terrace & Gipps Street (directly opposite Shaftston Campus and diagonally opposite RACQ). Numbers for this have been confirmed with Brett and the venue.
A number of us are heading there direct from the Hilton Hotel. Those heading there from the Hilton Brisbane can meet at the hotel foyer at 5:30pm, and share cab(s) there Please, note your interest in this thread.

8pm: Breakfast Creek Hotel “Beer off the Wood and World Famous Steaks”

Booking has been made in the Staghorn Garden. Allows us to show our interstate and international visitors our famous “Brekky Creek Hotel”.

Saturday 27 May 2006

8:45am: Highlights of the City - Including River Cruise - a Half-day bus tour taking people around to some of the main sights (doesn't include Mt. Coot-Tha). Returns approx. 1pm

4.00pm: Hilton Brisbane “Meet & Greet”

Booking has been made for 20-25 people (preference is given to ozfest III hotel guests). It will be an informal tour of the BNE Hilton, hopefully ending up in the split-level Exec Floor Lounge for a drink. Exact person from Hilton BNE is not confirmed yet.

7:00pm: Dinner at Pier Nine Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill.

Booked for 7pm (starting with drinks at the Bar), from where we will adjourn to our tables outside. Pier Nine have heavy plastic all-around covers that will stifle any wind off the Brisbane River and portable heaters for our area. However, people should dress for possible cooler weather (Ok, our cool weather is 15% C, so not that cool for some).

Sunday 28 May 2006

11am: Lunch at The Norman Hotel, Woolloongabba

Booked for 11am (gives you time to grab a drink), the kitchen opens at 11.30am and you'll want to be at the front of the queue. It's an easy 1 mile walk back to the Gabba (15 minutes). Click on "Location" on their web site for excellent map to direct you there and back to the Gabba.

1.10pm: AFL Match – Brisbane Lions v Fremantle Dockers @ The Gabba

Booking has been made for 10 people by serfty, in line with numbers advised.

Still on the drawing board:

Sunday AM: Brisbane River via CityCats (high speed ferry service)

I'm mindful that international visitors may want some time to explore for themselves and may not want their entire itinerary arranged for them. People might also want to review my details on some of these events (see post #44)

Last edited by serfty; May 26, 2006 at 6:50 pm Reason: Updated Activities and their Attendees
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf

You realise these are the same dates as the Bali DO.
I think that horse got beaten to death a long time back, if you read the original thread. :-:

It is like someone posting that a Doo in SEA or LAX or SFO or YVR can't realistically occur if there is one in MIA, NYC or BOS the same weekend.

Trust me, it is a FAR longer flight to Bali from BNE than it is across the USA. I flew SYD-Broome direct last week and that was 5 hours and I was still a long way short of Bali which is on same flight path more or less.

Bali is on another continent in fact.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.