Wiki Posts
Search

Where is Freddie Jr. ???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tazi
Might want to see if GoingAway can bring him back with her and get him to zipper.
I already pm'ed zipper - we're taking care of this and will find a way to get him to see beautiful switzerland before heading to the US and I see monitor on jan5th as well who's heading to the US.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by chrissxb
I already pm'ed zipper - we're taking care of this and will find a way to get him to see beautiful switzerland before heading to the US and I see monitor on jan5th as well who's heading to the US.
Cool! Good to see Freddie is staying busy
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Freddie jr. at the SXB2 lingerie DO

Freddie jr. goes to the SXB christmas market

next stop: Lugano, Switzerland Dec 30th 2006
Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

after Lugano Dinner tomorrow, Freddie Jr. is heading to Singapore (SIN RUN 2007)
anyone to take care of him?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:56 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
First off, to answer the burning question:

Who or what is Freddie Jr.?

This is Freddie Jr.

Originally Posted by gleff
Freddie, Jr. is the Freddie Award "Industry Impact Award" given to Flyertalk in 2000. Here are several Flyertalkers accepting the award from Randy.
This is the original thread announcing that FlyerTalk had been awarded a Freddie, all those years ago:

HEY FLYERTALK! WE ALL WON A FREDDIE!

Since those early days, Freddie has become a FlyerTalk icon, one of the little eccentricities that make this forum, and the community it has created, so interesting. He was presented to the members of FlyerTalk in recognition of the impact their posts and views were having (and still have to this day) on the travel industry.

Freddie travels the world in style, being handed off from FlyerTalk member to FlyerTalk member (usually at or just before a FlyerTalk DO (read: "meet") or when a FlyerTalk member has a particularly intesting trip planned). The tags with which he has been adorned tell the tale of a jetset high-life (First Class, Concorde, Platinum, Diamond, PPS Solitaire and so on) and the tale of one who has travelled far and wide, and to some interesting destinations (Qantas, Icelandair, Afriqiyah Airways of Libya, El Al, etc.). And the hits just keep coming...

------------------------------------------

This is the original post that started the flightmap project, shortly after the FT DO in Lugano, Switzerland on December 30th, 2006.

At the Lugano DO, we came up with the idea to create a flight map for Freddie Jr., courtesy of www.flugstatistik.de. The site is unfortunately only available in German so far, but the website's owner has stated that he intends to offer multi-language support in the near future.

Freddie's flight map is here:

http://meine.flugstatistik.de/freddiejr (German)
http://my.flightmemory.com/freddiejr (English)

As you can see, it's still somewhat empty, mostly because I don't have any data on Freddie's flights yet (check here for a slightly more developed example).

I'm volunteering to enter all of Freddie's flights into the system - but I need your help in getting the flight info.

If you've ever flown with Freddie, please send me a PM with whatever flight information you remember. The website tracks a lot of data points, but I think the ones that will really interest us are these:

Departure Airport
Arrival Airport
Date (if you don't remember the exact day, a month and a year is sufficient for this purpose, or make up something that sounds about right)
Airline
Class of Service
We can also keep track of the FT member that Freddie flew with.

The website can also track the following information:

Flight Number
Flight Departure Time
Flight Arrival Time
Aircraft Type
Aircraft Registration
Aircraft Name (if any)
Window/Aisle/Middle
Seat Number

I suggest using the following format for your flights with Freddie:

alex0683de 21APR2007 Air France ZRH-LYS Economy (optional info here)
alex0683de 21APR2007 Air France LYS-TLS Economy (optional info here)

Given the amount of travel that Freddie does, I'm certain the map will be interesting, to say the least. I hope you guys (and gals) can help me in making it work.

Update: (April 13, 2007)

www.flugstatistik.de is now available in English as www.flightmemory.com. Freddie's flight map in English can be found at http://my.flightmemory.com/freddiejr.

While the map is getting fuller, I am certain it doesn't even come close to what he has actually flown. More data would be greatly appreciated!

Update: (May 20, 2007)

Thanks to some more information from other FTers and some searching in the FT archive, I've managed to reconstruct more of Freddie's movements. As of today, he now has 374,167 miles to his credit, though there are still a lot of flights missing. At this point, the main thing I am looking for is just routings and rough dates, all other information is a nice add-on, but not strictly necessary.

I've also been asked what the purpose of this little project is:

The idea is to create some sort of record of Freddie's flight movements for posterity. It also helps us in keeping track of Freddie's whereabouts. In addition, I have a surprise planned for the Freddies 2010 (the 10th anniversary of the presentation of the Industry Impact Award - now known as Freddie Jr. - to FlyerTalk's members) as a thank-you to Randy Petersen and his staff at the House of Miles, both for the award and for the great times we've had since then. I won't tell you what it is just yet - but it does involve Freddie and his travels.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me so far! ^

-----------------------------

Update: (March 28, 2010)

Since Randy decided that the 2009 Freddie Awards would be the last, my original plan of presenting him with a map of Freddie Jr.'s travels at the Freddies 2010 had to be shelved.

Luckily, an opportunity to salvage it presented itself at Star Mega DO in November 2009. With the kind support of shoggoth, one of the founders of the www.flugstatistik.de / www.flightmemory.com project, I was able to present a poster of Freddie's Travels to a very grateful Randy after all.

I plan to keep maintaining the flight map for as long as people keep submitting the details of their flights with Freddie, please send me a PM if you've flown with him.

Last edited by alex0683de; Mar 28, 2010 at 10:23 am Reason: Lots: Freddie Awards cancellation, Star Mega DO, appeal for continued help.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Cool idea Chris! I have to go back and remember now where Freddie has gone with me explicitly as I know he has now stayed in two of my homes - and I've hung out with him on five continents. (Will be digging through old boarding passes sometime in the near future.)
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for taking care of this. ^
if you need any assistance, contact the communitybuzz! moderators.

and for all people who need a quick translation of the result page - just click here (google translation , english version of the website announced but not yet realized)
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:29 pm

thanks for taking care of this. ^
if you need any assistance, contact the communitybuzz! moderators.
My pleasure. And thank you.

and for all people who need a quick translation of the result page - just click here (google translation , english version of the website announced but not yet realized)
As you can see from the page, Freddie Jr. currently has 19,550 kilometers (or 12,148 miles) to his credit after three PMs. That number almost seems like an insult to this FlyerTalk icon...

So keep those PMs coming!

---

Edit: Just took a look at the translation, Babelfishes are hilarious, aren't they?

Class: "Roofridge" is, of course, "First". A "Dachfirst" is the ridge of a roof.

Then "Stuttgart (genuine things)" is a translation of the name of Stuttgart's airport (Echterdingen), though the name doesn't actually mean that.

And then "Dallas/Fort Worth (international air haven)" - the German word for airport is "Flughafen", literally "flight harbor".

Last edited by alex0683de; Dec 31, 2006 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:08 am

Going through the thread, I've been able to track down some of Freddie Jr.'s movements.

There were few definite comments, but here goes:

Originally Posted by techgirl
Freddie has enjoyed his summer in Dallas... he appeared in a video application for a network television show, caught a good nap, and enjoyed a weekend in New Orleans with a handful of folks in July.

Tomorrow he will travel DFW-LAX-JFK-EZE and after he tastes wine and eats steak in EZE, I will find someone who can help him make his way to another FT event.
That post was made on Sept. 1st, 2005. I think it's a fair guess that Freddie had a good bit of AA travel on the 2nd.

Originally Posted by Wireless
Freddy Jr. made it to San Jose (unfortunately in sub-steerage class), then joined United's Inaugural service to Kuwait City. His carrier needed to be back in Orlando for a conference, so he jumped aboard United's Inaugural service from KWI to IAD. Ted, rar, then took him under an exit row seat to Orlando, where he sits in the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes awaiting his next venture. I think he'll be going back to Fort Lauderdale and Miami prior to hopping a United 757 back to San Francisco. Then, it'll be in the mini-cabin of a 777 non-stop to LHR at which time he'll be passed off to someone else. He'll miss row 15 heading back to SFO, but that's OK, he's been there before.

http://wireless.smugmug.com/photos/107213180-M.jpg
Originally Posted by Wireless
Wirelessly posted (HTC-2125/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows CE; Smartphone; 240x320) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Freddie Jr is not happy that only Citgo gas is available on the Florida Turnpike, and that Avis didn't upgrade him into a Cadillac. Bad enough he's not flying to MIA!
Based on these two posts, I see an IAD-MCO Ted flight, plus an MIA-SFO UA flight. Plus the UA flight SFO-LHR. Plus, of course, the flights to and from Kuwait.

I'll also be PMing CGK to see if we can reconstruct these flights, but somehow, I think that's going to be a bit of work.

I also found some flights related to OzFest 2 in Sydney - the flights I can definitely pin down are SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO on UA. I'm guessing he also flew UA SFO-DFW, but perhaps techgirl can shed some light on this...

And I'm happy to report that Freddie Jr is now at 95,485 logged kilometers (59,332 miles). Still, that's barely more than I flew this year, so there's got to be more stories out there.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:41 am

It seems Freddie Jr. really enjoyed the wonderful Ticino and loves Switzerland. Last I heard was that he was seen in Zurich, where he is getting to know a lot of people from the industry! Even heard some rumors about a family get-together!

The two Juniors and myself (Freddie Junior and f4freeJunior) will head from Geneva to Amsterdam on the 4th (KLM only in Y ...). From there we will go to a sunny and sandy place before we head to Singapore for the SIN Run. SQ F on the new 777ER should make up for the shock and horror of KL Y.

Anybody interested in taking Freddie on some more trips from SIN before the SIN Run? We could organize a handoff on the 8th ior 9th in Singapore. Or I could have Freddie Jr. see BKK and AKL again, before joining the SIN Run dinner on Saturday the 13th. I'd make sure he travels in style ...
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by f4free
The two Juniors and myself (Freddie Junior and f4freeJunior) will head from Geneva to Amsterdam on the 4th (KLM only in Y ...). From there we will go to a sunny and sandy place before we head to Singapore for the SIN Run. SQ F on the new 777ER should make up for the shock and horror of KL Y.

Anybody interested in taking Freddie on some more trips from SIN before the SIN Run? We could organize a handoff on the 8th ior 9th in Singapore. Or I could have Freddie Jr. see BKK and AKL again, before joining the SIN Run dinner on Saturday the 13th. I'd make sure he travels in style ...
Whatever you decide, please remember to PM me the details.

So is Freddie Jr. in your care now, or is he still with airoli?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Today, Freddie Jr. has met with family at former Qualiflyer HQ before joining f4free on his upcoming trip to the south and the east.

Last edited by airoli; Jan 3, 2007 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Today, Freddie Jr. has met with family at former Qualiflyer HQ before joining f4free on his upcoming trip to the south and the east.

------------------
21-23/SEP: Join us for the ZRH Yodeldee-Do!
truly yours. airoli.

And while we're on the subject, it would be nice if Freddie Jr. could join us in ZRH again in September.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Guys, Freddy enjoyed the new SQ F on his trip yesterday to SIN. We made some pictures onboard, on the large seat, and in the hands of a charming SQ FA.
He's currently seating in the new TG F on BKK-AKL (accompagnied by f4free, while I'm in my new appartment here in SIN.

Visitors are all welcome, bed is available as well as the beer I bought today.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alex0683de
And while we're on the subject, it would be nice if Freddie Jr. could join us in ZRH again in September.
but prior on his trip he should make a step to TLS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.