5000 post club! [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5000 post club! [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2001, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree with Shareholder about many of us being status conscious, I certainly am - so I would support the return of some sort of tiering (be it Evangelist or other title[s]not).

And I disagree with Doc on the tracking of posts number, I would certainly not agree with getting those removed. But I know Doc and I can agree to disagree...

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 7:38 pm

I enjoy the post counter.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:00 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Punki Congrats on making the 5,000 Club

Punki,
I just noticed you are a recent new member of the 5,000 Club.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks for all the sharing those 5,000 post represent.
Superd1

------------------
"A day without Points/Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:38 am

Yes.

Congrats to a gracious, long time vibrant member of our community.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you both very kindly.

This is something like 2.5 posts per day for about 5 years. Although there were those months in the very beginning when I just lurked and lauged a lot--not to mention almost 1,000,000 miles worth of time on a plane in the past 5 years.

YIKES!! I think I have a more serious problem that just being a social poster. Does that make me a moderate or an addict, or a moderate addict?

FlyerTalk most certainly has enhanced these past five years. My life is so much richer for all of the friends I have made and the wonderful experiences we have enjoyed along the way--both on and off line.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 2:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Well we know that if you weren't addicted to moderation you would have not made it so quickly
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Does that make me a moderate or an addict, or a moderate addict?</font>
Congratulations!
Old Oct 19, 2003, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Mazel tov on the milestone!
Old Oct 19, 2003, 6:26 pm

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
Ok you've made 5000 post but what have you learned along the way? What's worth sharing and passing on? I read earlier this year a post from someone (wish I'd of kept the post) who posted the most important things he learned on each 1000 posts.
What can you share with us?
Regards,
Robert
[email protected]
Old Oct 19, 2003, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I-flybynight:

Ok you've made 5000 post but what have you learned along the way? What's worth sharing and passing on? I read earlier this year a post from someone (wish I'd of kept the post) who posted the most important things he learned on each 1000 posts.
What can you share with us?
</font>
That "someone" I believe is gleff - who posted immediately before you.

As to what Punki has offered on FT that is "worth sharing and passing on" I can do no more than recommend you go and read the definition Randy gave to the term "WWPD":

http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/index.php

WWPD: This stands for "What Would Punki Do?"

Punki is a long standing member of FlyerTalk and is known for her logical, concerned and rational approach to the occasional member conflicts we have on FlyerTalk. To her honor, some members, when presented with an interesting challenge on FlyerTalk, will pause and ask themselves, What Would Punki Do?

Congratulations on the 5,000 posts.

Now if you hadn't spend so much time dancing, sailing and attending FT DOOOOS all over the globe you'd be past that milestone long ago.

Catch you and Hunki in Hawaii later this week.

------------------
Don't forget the FT Party In Paradise 'PiP' Hana Hou - in HNL Oct 25-27
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Good question, I-flybynight. I will try to put it into words.

The very first thing I learned was to be unafraid of the internet. I am almost 60 now and grew up even before television was common. It was a little hard for me to think about actually making friends in cyberspace, especially with my contemporary family members and friends were constantly warning me that "they are probably all axe murderers".

The second thing I learned is how truly wonderful, generous, intelligent, kind and welcoming most FlyerTalkers really are. They are usually either folks who have something special enough to offer that somebody is willing to pay to fly them around the world to offer it, or else leisure flyers with a true love of travel. I have now met literally hundreds of Flyer Talkers from all over the world and never stop being amazed at how very much I enjoy them and how very good-hearted almost all of them are. I really treasure all of the FlyerTalk relationships that I have developed over the years. Many of my FlyerTalk friends are almost like family--some have even become family. Nothing quite like cyber kids calling you in the middle of the night.)

The third thing I have learned is how to be more adventuresome. FlyerTalkers have encouraged me to fly to countries and enjoy events and festivals that I would never have dreamed of visiting on my own. WOWSER, the fabulous things that I have seen and done with other FlyerTalkers would fill volumes! Starting with the original PIP and going on to Montreal, Vancouver, Singapore, New York, Chicago, Dusseldorf, London, Cannes, Valencia, Toronto, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle (of course), Washington, D.C., Asheville, Anchorage, Tampa, San Diego, Portland, and so many more I can't remember.

The fourth thing I have learned is to be more open to meeting and talking with total strangers, wherever I encounter them. I figure that if almost all FlyerTalkers are wonderful, that it is worth taking a chance that all people everywhere are pretty special once you get to know them. Sure, I strike out now and again, but I have learned that almost every time that I strike up a conversation with a total stranger on a train, in a store, whereever, I find a delightful, interesting human being, who just might become a life long friend.

The fifth thing I learned is that people (flight attendants, gate agents, RCC agents, hotel agents, just about everybody I encouter when I travel) will bend over backward to treat me nicely if I treat them very nicely and can find a way to make them laugh.

The Sixth thing I have learned is that it is always more fun to share a new city with a FlyerTalk native as a guide. (My city is also a lot more enjoyable to me when I share it with an out-of-town FlyerTalker.)

And, seventh (I could keep going but this will be the last), I have learned to listen to other points of view and learn from folks who are very different from me. Many of my very best friends on FlyerTalk are young enough to be my children--a few could even be my great-grandchildren. FlyerTalkers I have met come from many different countries, cultures and backgrounds, but I am thrilled beyond belief with everything I have learned from all of them and will (God willing) continue to learn.

Best ROI I have ever experienced!!

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 10-19-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:24 pm
Suspended

I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

On one hand you guys are congratulating me on my 5,000 post.

On the other hand, when I happened to mention to a "cyber free" friend that, after five years, I had finally made 5,000 posts to my Cyber Home website, my friend went dead silent for a long time and then said, "Don't you think that might be a little unhealthy?"

Different strokes.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:20 pm

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
On the other hand, when I happened to mention to a "cyber free" friend that, after five years, I had finally made 5,000 posts to my Cyber Home website, my friend went dead silent for a long time and then said, "Don't you think that might be a little unhealthy?"</font>
I have a couple of those friends too. The same one's that want me to help find them find a good deal or to know how to maxamize miles.

"Hey! It's my hobby and a heck of a lot more fun then collecting bottle caps or baseball cards." No disrespect to those that do collect. I was going to mention collecting stamps but thought I might get a strong objection from somewhere Down Under.

------------------
"A day without Points/Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:

... went dead silent for a long time and then said, "Don't you think that might be a little unhealthy?" </font>

My psychiatrist has been saying that for some years. But I keep on tasking the tablets, and most of the time things are just fine. The voices are not so loud after the tablets.

------------------
Don't forget the FT Party In Paradise 'PiP' Hana Hou - in HNL Oct 25-27
Old Oct 21, 2003, 2:56 pm

as a newbie here but a long time flyer LOL I congrat you on your posting staus 5000 wow !! And your well articulated list of learned things from your time on this list Cheers Jane

------------------
UA PremEx AA Plat *wood Plat
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
5000 post club

Another mini milestone passed

Last 1000 posts: 1 month 12days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.