Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3000 post club! [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
3000 post club! [merged threads]

It isn't the size of a FT'ers post count that matters, it's his . . .

Okay, quality is more important than quantity. And "X Thousand Post Club" posts have been over the top flame bait way too many times.

And while the number of posts that I've got hasn't ever mattered to me, it is nice to mark certain milestones.

For my 1000th post I offered What I've Learned from Flyertalk from the time I joined up to that point.

For my 2000th post I offered What I've Learned from Flyertalk Part Two with some new lessons.

Both posts were heavily United-focused, and since I spend most of my time over in the UA forum I shared my lessons there.

I admit, I was starting to hit a brick wall of sorts. Others have identified the phenomena -- learn alot, then share alot, then start getting frustrated.

Fortunately, I've been able to recharge my juices a bit, since Randy offered me the opportunity to moderate the MilesBuzz! forum and the Delta forum. And I'm even writing my own frequent travel blog.

So for this installment marking the occasion of my 3000th post, I thought I would again share some of my favorite links I've come across since the last 1000th milestone. Only this time it's less about lessons and less about United and more my own eclectic bookmarking.

I spend lonely weekend days in the office with live air-traffic control audio on in the background of my computer. I'll also kill time with a live ATC video feed (I believe this latter link from courtesy of PremEx).

I've recently gotten some good advice for sleeping on a plane. I've even learned about bit about the airline industry, such as just what percentage of flyers contribute how much revenue (that is, the value of an elite).

I've had fun checking the actual America West Passenger Boarding Totals on any flight (and reading the details of their nonrev perks).

I've also recently verified (for several colleagues) that the free Hilton HHonors Gold offer still works.

And that I can more or less print my own space available upgrade coupons on USAirways, since each Corporate Dividends signup package contains two such certs.

And speaking of coupons, I've found Deal Coupon an especially useful site. I haven't used 'em yet, but I also hope to save some money with airport parking coupons.

Here are some of my favorite humorous moments on Flyertalk
Normally in these posts I offer a large set of thank yous. After all, each one of the above links comes courtesy of one of you.

You can revisit either of my last two milestone posts for my thank yous to date. This time I realize that the thanks go to the whole community, really, and to Randy. So instead of mentioning a few names I'll just say thank you to everyone.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Hey buddy...THANKS. Thanks for contributing to Flyertalk. Your advice at 1000 post was good. Your advice and links at #2000 got even better. And now at #3000, it gets even better.
Those 3, 1000, 2000, and 3000 contain valuable info for all of us.

Looking forward to #4000.

See you in chat.

Dan
Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:46 pm

I'm not impressed with all these number-of-post clubs. Clubs kill.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
I'm not impressed with all these number-of-post clubs. Clubs kill.</font>
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I didn't mean to make this another "posts" = "status" thread.

Instead, each time I've hit another 1000 posts I've looked back on the links I've made from Flyertalk and I look and see if there's anyway to package them together and point them out to people that might have missed them.

And I say thank you.

Because I really have gotten alot out of this community.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I want to join the 3000 post club.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Really.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
I didn't mean to offend anyone.</font>
Oh, you didn't. It's all my fault.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
Oh, you didn't. It's all my fault.</font>
???
Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:54 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Another who's looking forward to your 4000th post. You always do a great job of coming up with the best of the best and many things I've missed.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
???</font>
Ditto.

Nice work, gleff .

------------------
Vasant
Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh Oh... I think I may be a psychic:
Back in the 2000 Post Thread:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:

Originally posted by gleff:
Back in May I memorialized my 1000th post by sharing some of the lessons I had learned from Flyertalk over 13 months.

My second 1000 posts have taken me only 6 months...</font>
So at this rate, you'll hit post 3,000 around February? [/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by chexfan (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Chexfan ... maybe the new job you hanker for can be as an ACTUARY?

An actuary and a farmer were traveling by train. When they passed a flock of sheep in a meadow, the actuary said, "There are 1,248 sheep out there." The farmer replied, "Amazing. By chance, I know the owner, and the figure is absolutely correct. How did you count them so quickly?" The actuary answered, "Easy, I just counted the number of legs and divided by four."

An actuary is walking down the corridor when he feels a twinge in his chest. Immediately, he runs to the stairwell and hurls himself down. His friend, visiting him in the hospital, asks why he did that. The actuary replies, "The chances of having a heart attack and falling down the stairs are much lower than the chances of having a heart attack only".

Definition of CPA: Can't Pass Actuarial exams.

A casualty actuary priced an automobile "Fire and Theft" policy with an extremely low premium. When asked why it was so cheap, he said, "Who would steal a burnt car?"

etc, etc

Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:23 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
This is my post 3000 - thanks FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.