How did you first find out about Flyertalk? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did you first find out about Flyertalk? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:21 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I was doing a google search for something in relation to a FFP and stumbled upon this site. I couldn't believe it! There were people out there like me! I waited a couple of weeks before I had the courage to sign up and post my first question on the BA board. Actually, I never used online forums before so it was all new to me (I didn't start off very well by having an argument with another ft'er so...sorry again thadoctor .

My brother cannot understand what flyertalk is and thinks I'm sad. Do I care? No. I just wished I found flyertalk sooner. It's great! And I'm hopelessly and utterly addicted to it. Through this I have learned so much that I never knew before. I normally frequent the bmi and BA boards and www.v-flyer.com for Virgin Atlantic (I'm known as the Strawberry Muppet on there) as well as the SQ board from time to time. You can also catch me in the London and UK forums occasionally.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I saw the listings on eBay for information on who to get a bajillion miles and such, and I figured the same info had to be out on the Internet for free somewhere, so Googled myself into here. I frequented another forum at the time, so I just fell into my comfort zone quite quickly.

Never had status before (perhaps flying 2-3 times a year on direct flights/1 stop ). Now AA PLT and now I've flown more/earned more flight miles in the past 6 months than probably the rest of my life

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jan 9, 2006 at 10:26 pm
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Over two years ago I wanted to use Hilton points for a London vacation and had narrowed the possibilities down to four or five. A Google search on them led to the Hilton section of FlyerTalk. I looked around here and started lurking regularly. Been hooked ever since.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
I suppose I am similar to most - wanted some info on a FFP (can't remember which one) and googled.

Registered in 2003 and was alurker for two years before my first post. I then left it a couple of months before posting again but then have found the forums invaluable and a great place to share knowledge.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I asked a question on thorntree.lonelyplanet.com about how to value one's airline reward miles. I wanted to determine if I should pay $800 for a ticket or use reward miles to fly. Someone on the board there suggested that I post here at flyertalk as I would more likely find people who had done the math.

I never did actually post that question (I found the answer using search). My first post was a thank you to someone who indicated why Air Canada / Aeroplans on-line submission of missing credits never works.

I didn't post much for a few months, but then my job got slow and I needed more to do during the day to kill time, so I started reading and posting again.

Greg
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
A personal friend of gleff told me to absolutely check out his blog (back when it was at the original viewfromthewing.com site). I read that for a long time, but though I still read it almost every day my world needed to grow as my quest for the ultimate travel deal urged me on to larger arenas.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hotels.com
It was a google search for me. I can't remember what I was searching for, but in the first thread I read, FTers were discussing, in more detail than I thought anyone could possible know, a meal served on a particular flight. I remember thinking, these must really be FREQUENT flyers.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:44 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Reading CondeNast Traveler, September or October 2003 issue, article about RTWs...
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Bogey90
It was a google search for me. I can't remember what I was searching for, but in the first thread I read, FTers were discussing, in more detail than I thought anyone could possible know, a meal served on a particular flight. I remember thinking, these must really be FREQUENT flyers.

Many FTers are ^
Old Feb 25, 2006, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Last year searching for whether I should stick with QF, NZ, or TG FFPs, particularly since I recloacted to BKK. The advice has been great, and I've been able to help a little as well. TK
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
I found FT through search engines back in the days- Most likely Yahoo at the time. Been here ever since. I also help spread the word to frequent flyers I meet on my travels. Most people thank me after visiting the site. Can't live without FT!!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:53 pm

It's been a while, I think it was google or through a magazine. While I haven't posted much, I read it all the time and it's helped more than you can imagine.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA
I followed a link from the WSJ last year. I'd known about seatguru and used that to plan trips, feeling rather pleased that I had an "in" about the limited travel that I do.

Then I came here and was blown away by how clever everyone is, and what I moron I was to split my loyalty between two different airlines so that I don't have quite enough miles on either to do anything

But I'm learning...thanks to all y'all.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:43 pm

Statistically speaking, I always knew there were people out there as serious or more serious than me abouth their mileage. Unfortunately, those were the 80's, so I waited for about 17-18 years. I was a lurker for a while and then I signed up and have never left.

Actually I think we all have a serious problem. We are seriously addicted.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:19 pm

I think I found Flyertalk after someone had mentioned it in passing on Biddingfortravel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.