Reload this Page >

How did you first find out about Flyertalk? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did you first find out about Flyertalk? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:14 pm

Lordy, I had been trolling the long dead remains of rec.travel.air for many a moons before Flyertalk came around. Scary to think I've known Sheryl for that long And before/during that time on AOL travel boards before they were rendered totally useless.

However, I'm sure I lurked for quite a while here before posting. I even remember everyone talking about going to PIP and thinking that might be fun but I had a new job and couldn't get away and I had no clue about upgrading, so didn't want to be stuck in coach while the swells flew on the upper deck.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
user "dlombard" told me, he's a friend of mine and another freq flyer.

Like all forums I lurk till I can get a feel for the scene and then participate.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:27 pm

Surfing the net.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by UAL123
Found this from a link on seatguru.
ditto
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Sat next to an AA EXP from LAX to LHR. As a gold he not only informed me on how to do a Platinum Challenge which made me Plat within 1 month, but also gave me FlyerTalk and Seat Guru...geez, what had I been missing with all of those orphaned miles and such. Now I only do two airline programs, I figured out Starwood Plat on my own but the advice (and help from Starwood Lurker) helped me make plat there as well last year.

Now I make sure I spread the word as well.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:10 pm

A search on the terms: "frequent flyer" or the like. In those days I would search into the 10th page of results or more.

What a find!
Rita
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I don’t know why, but I missed my chance to truly become an original FlyerTalk member.
Hey Canarsie, what is the criterion for being an original member?
Rita
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by rkt10
Hey Canarsie, what is the criterion for being an original member?
The Join Date in one’s profile needs to be May 1998 to be an Original Member of FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'm glad that Canarsiehas weighed in. My reasons for joining FT are quite emotional and personal. My buddy, Canarsie has given me the strength to discuss it; perhaps in the morning. Thanks, Canarsie, you always seem to come along at the right time.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I found FT in Sept of last year. After 10 years of steady business flying I was finally nearing AAGold and was researching what it would do for me. Boy, did I waste all those years!

Since finding FT I have only sat in the back of the plane once, made Plat by December and have actually started to *enjoy* flying again. I've joined car and hotel loyalty programs and have been treated like royalty when ever I travel.

FT has changed me from self-loading cargo into an efficient and happy traveler.

onelove
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:18 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Found FT from a link on Mileageworkshop.com - a site that in its day was excellent but hasn't been updated for years even though it is still up and running (a bit of an enigma really) - Gary Steiger's FreeFrequentFlyerMiles.com has filled the void Mileageworkshop has left in my daily surfing and FT has added hugely - I read every day but don't post as often.

A
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
Found FT from a link on Mileageworkshop.com - a site that in its day was excellent but hasn't been updated for years even though it is still up and running (a bit of an enigma really) - Gary Steiger's FreeFrequentFlyerMiles.com has filled the void Mileageworkshop has left in my daily surfing and FT has added hugely - I read every day but don't post as often.

A
I think I originally found it from a newspaper story about the infamous $2.86 US flights. I forgot about it for a while, at the time not being too frequent of a flier. This summer, my travel frequency picked up, and I remembered the site. It's been downhill ever since.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:02 pm
hmc

Programs: AA Plat, QF PS
My previous boss is a FTer, and started me off by referring me to MyPoints (ReferAFriend ). At that time, due to living in a regional area & doing all the relationship/parental things, I hadn't travelled for 18 years ! SInce those dark days, in the last 2 years I've made numerous domestic trips, done 2 long-hauls (US & Europe) and am booked again for SFO in Feb - all recreational

I'm part-way through Galileo/Qantas ticketing certification, all for my own pleasure, and am looking at emigrating to Canada

So FlyerTalk really does make a difference ^

h
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Silver
About two years ago now, I collegue of mine that I was working with on a project that required frequent (or what I thought of as frequent at the time) travel from BOS-SFO and back, pointed me toward Flyertalk and Seatguru.

That year I was able to make UA 2P, This year things have gotten a bit crazy (for me... and if you ask my wife and have qualified for 1k with the help of everyone here.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
Yeah, no magic here either, just did a search one day at work about Delta and hotel properties. Been living here every since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.