Thank You FT Community!

Thank You FT Community!

Old Sep 16, 2001, 7:03 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Thank You FT Community!

Hi Gang,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for being part of this community. This past week's events have really shown me why I am proud to be a part of this community.

When I first heard about the WTC incident at work, I could not get into any news websites (Darn our firewalls!). I then went to the FT Chat Room. That is where I got most of my information for the first couple of hours. I then went home... and took part in following a news station and posting the news. It was a tremendous effort in teamwork and support.

While I have always enjoyed chatting with other FTers, it was taken to a different level over the past week. I logged in at every opportunity and probably averaged over 10 hours a day. I am almost embarrassed to say that... but that is how valuable this community was to me... and hopefully I added some value to others as well.

I have made many new friends... and I look forward to the opportunity to meeting them in person some time in the future.

As we move forward from this tragedy, I hope we can continue this community at the level we moved to this past week.

THANKS FT COMMUNITY!!!!

------------------
William Harvey
"Create a Great Day"
Old Sep 16, 2001, 12:44 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wharvey:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for being part of this community. This past week's events have really shown me why I am proud to be a part of this community.
</font>
wharvey beat me to it, but I too would like to say I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful community.

This week, the FT community has pulled together not only to provide information and emotional support, but has also found practical ways to help each other.

These have included the threads offering help & accommodation for strandard travellers and the sign-in thread to communicate the safety of community memembers, as well as a number of incidents that occured in the chat room - including helping people get in touch with family/friends in NY and offers of hotel points to pay for rooms for those strandard, not only of other FT members, but of members of the general public.

With the terrifying and distressing events we've witnessed this week, it's been nice to have the people at FT to turn to.

Thanks to everyone.

Beck/Bugsy
Old Sep 16, 2001, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to add my Thanks as well.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Ditto the above...

I found myself unexpectedly detained in an unfamiliar city for an additional three days. As someone who is used to being around others during the day, FT became my substitute family during that long period. Between chat and e-mails and late night phone conversations, we all got through this together.

Thank you all, particularly to those with reservations access who checked flight statuses for me and those SAN FTers who were kind enough to make restaurant and activity suggestions to keep me occupied during a period when I didn't really feel like venturing far from my hotel.

I feel like I know so many of you so well now...
Old Sep 16, 2001, 7:31 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Thanks for all who have been such a support group to me - Beginning on Tuesday in Chat it was a sort of shell-shocked news group... as reality emerged, it was a tangible collection of friends who shared shock and disbelief... as fear for my son in Saudi sank in, it was a group of loving, supporting friends to share my thrill at hearing from him and my gut-wrenching fear for what he faces.

We have shared fears, strategies, personal lives and how our future will now change.. and real friendships were forged in the process.

I have kept Chat open or minimized for almost a week. I cannot begin to express what this has meant to me.. Thank you my FT friends..

Pam
Old Sep 16, 2001, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Let me chime in. It was good to have your company in the crisis.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 10:28 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Here's a "me too" thread I'm proud and thankful to post to.

As frequent flyers, all of us felt the violation and attack hit so close to home, and it was a great comfort to talk with and share news with the people on this board.

Thanks for being there to chat and understand our unique perspective on this event.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 12:31 am

By now lots of people have beaten me to it, but let me add my thanks here as well.

I don't know how many hours I averaged in a given day, but I bet I can match or exceed anyone's total.

I had the opportunity to chat with some familiar FT "faces" I had not seen in a long time, and made countless new friends. I happened to log onto chat early Tuesday morning just to say hello, and found 2 people there talking about the attacks. By the time I logged off many, many hours later over 100 people were present.

My most sincere thanks to all those who stopped by and kept me company, and made it easier to deal with the tragedy.

Sebastien
Old Sep 17, 2001, 6:59 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We are all indebted to Randy & Co for providing the resources and to all the many eclectic participants for making it such a wonderful place to visit - both in the good times and also the bad!

Thanks to ALL!
Old Sep 17, 2001, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Many of us here in the NY and NJ area are without DSL. That means NO chat for some of us regulars.
This is a time that I'd really love to 'chat'. It wood be good.
So while I'm out till at least Thursday, I'd like to say Thank You to all of you who have e mailed me some kind words. You have no idea how much this helps.

All of us in the area are affected one way or the other.

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.