Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego North County Meetup Sunday, August 20, 4pm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by KevinS
As far as OSide Harbor goes, possibly the lowest end choice of restos is CrapShack.
I've been to a meetup at the Mission Valley location. Great service and food (and willing to split the check). Anyways, the people are more important than the venue!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Yeah... well, maybe it's not the choice for the foodies in the group, but, besides the menu, here are some of my other criteria:

It's got enough room for a big or small group, so there's no problem if lots of extra people show up or people can't make it. That means I don't have to monitor attendance or get creative at the venue, and yet we can still all sit together. We've had 20-25 people show up, and that's a big group.
It's easy to find, easy to park, and easy to book a reservation.
They serve alcohol, in case someone wants a cocktail or beer.
The room is set up for us when we get there. The reservation has never fallen through the cracks and disappeared.
They are pleasant and accommodating throughout.
They don't seem to mind if we stay for hours and talk more than we eat or drink.
And, it's only a 40 minute drive for me...

So... I hope you understand and support my choice. The easier it is on me, the more likely I am to host (more) often. I like to see everybody, and it's nice for me not to have to drive south for an hour or more. Please come for the company and conversation, even if the food isn't tops on your list. Hope to see you there!

I set up events for social groups myself, and totally understand, empathize & respect the level of effort that goes into it.
In no way meant to demean that, and am sad if what I said came across that way. Apologies if so.

Agreed that a large chain resto will be more tolerant of groups hanging out & talking, and split checks and what not. My only point was that there are some amazing, fantastic restos in OSide these days, and I know the owners of most of them (Wrench & Rodent, Whet Noodle, Privateer, Urge, Flying Pig, others). If you'd like help setting these up, particularly if in North County, I'd be game to 'put my money where my mouth is' and help coordinate.

Appreciate you setting this up, and if we're in town we'll be there, and I'll buy you a drink!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz
Original Poster

[snip] there are some amazing, fantastic restos in OSide these days, and I know the owners of most of them (Wrench & Rodent, Whet Noodle, Privateer, Urge, Flying Pig, others).

Appreciate you setting this up, and if we're in town we'll be there, and I'll buy you a drink!
All those menus look amazing with lots of delicious sounding options.

In the meantime, hope to see you Sunday at your very favorite spot in Oceanside...The Crab Shack... hee hee!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I set up events for social groups myself, and totally understand, empathize & respect the level of effort that goes into it.
In no way meant to demean that, and am sad if what I said came across that way. Apologies if so.

Agreed that a large chain resto will be more tolerant of groups hanging out & talking, and split checks and what not. My only point was that there are some amazing, fantastic restos in OSide these days, and I know the owners of most of them (Wrench & Rodent, Whet Noodle, Privateer, Urge, Flying Pig, others). If you'd like help setting these up, particularly if in North County, I'd be game to 'put my money where my mouth is' and help coordinate.

I do hope you will step up and plan a flyertalk meetup in the near future at one of the venues you suggest. I think we'd have more get togethers if more people were willing to step up and plan them. There are a lot of active flyertalkers in North County.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:11 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz
Original Poster

Great meet-up! Thanks to everyone who participated. I'll try for another when I get back from the Cow Do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.