Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75th Worldcon - Helsinki August 9 - 13, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:47 am
Original Poster

75th Worldcon - Helsinki August 9 - 13, 2017

Anyone else going to be there? If so, maybe we can do something some evening again this year.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:13 am

World I´ve travelled and met some cons, but what is Worldcon? Purjelentäjä noticed your message and we locals might be able to organise a salad (read beer) evening. If in town I´m always ready to meet the regulars and you too.

Here´s the post and thread where we organise activities mostly in HELsinki:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...l#post28491073

Feel free to join the conversation.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Worldcon is the World Science Fiction Convention, held annually. It's kind of a reunion of sorts, where authors, readers, gamers, costumers, filkers (a type of folksinging), and the just curious from around the world get together. Four days of something for just about everyone.

The website for the Helsinki Worldcon is here: http://www.worldcon.fi/

It has been held in various nations, Australia four or five times, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, England a number of times, Scotland twice(?), Canada often, but most often somewhere in the United States. It's scheduled for San Jose, California in 2018; probably will be in Dublin, Ireland in 2019, and maybe in New Zealand in 2020.

The venue is currently decided by a vote of the membership two years out (so the 2017 Convention in Helsinki will choose the 2019 venue this year, but Dublin is the only city in the running at the moment).

Lots of FlyerTalkers are science fiction fans, and many show up for the conventions. Probably a greater percentage of attendees are FT folks when the convention is held outside North America, if only because they redeem free flights.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:09 pm

I will be there - it would be great to meet up with other FT folks!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Anyone else going to be there? If so, maybe we can do something some evening again this year.
I will be there, arriving Monday afternoon and leaving mid-day Sunday. A salad meetup would be great, but it may be tough to fit in around all the other things that happen at a WorldCon. I'm already booked for a party early in the evening on Wednesday (5:30-8:30 PM); Thursday through Saturday will probably have many more events to navigate around. I will try to keep an eye on this thread; if a time is chosen for salad at the same time as WorldCon events that I am only somewhat interested or less than I will join you.

I'm not sure how many WorldCon/FT folks will be there early (official start is Wednesday); does a salad meetup on Monday or Tuesday make sense?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

I don't think so for us. We're arriving the afternoon of Wednesday the 9th and departing morning of Monday the 14th, so won't be there Monday or Tuesday. I've heard from a couple of other FlyerTalkers who have to miss this year due to personal reasons, so I'm not sure how may of us will be there.

Anyone else interested?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.