FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Code:
 Handle Arrival Flight City Pair Time    Departure  Flight City Pair Time
 beckoa 8/20/17 AS3382 PDX-MCI   2:49 PM 8/22/17    AS683  MCI-SEA   7:00 AM
Print Wikipost

KANSAS CITY - Dinner Do - Sun August 20, 2017

Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:04 pm

PM's replied. We still have plenty of ribs if anyone else wants to join.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:21 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by monitor
This is very interesting but I can only list frantic and mysself as "possible"
very good, wishing you a speedy recovery, been a long time!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by holland
PM's replied. We still have plenty of ribs if anyone else wants to join.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
very good, wishing you a speedy recovery, been a long time!
it has been too long but it now sure looks like we will get to meet in KC next month and we are looking forward to seeing Willie and some of the group we know and others for the first time.

The operation and the rehab are going absolutely as well as possible and we are reasonably sure we can get there. So I request that Sweet Willie upgrade us to "probable" and that holland keep an eye our for the PM that I will send as soon as I can figure ou how to do it on this tablet.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
it has been too long but it now sure looks like we will get to meet in KC next month and we are looking forward to seeing Willie and some of the group we know and others for the first time.

The operation and the rehab are going absolutely as well as possible and we are reasonably sure we can get there. So I request that Sweet Willie upgrade us to "probable" and that holland keep an eye our for the PM that I will send as soon as I can figure ou how to do it on this tablet.
Excellent news on both fronts! I look forward to hopefully welcoming you to Kansas City
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

very good!!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Hope all is well monitor. I'll be in KC the following weekend, and will eventually post a lunch and dinner thread. Wish you could be in town then.

dh
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Award space has opened on AS3382 the 20th, so I'm a strong tentative at this point.

Would be my first time leaving MCI... ready for some Que'
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by beckoa
Award space has opened on AS3382 the 20th, so I'm a strong tentative at this point.

very good ^
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond

I think we need to tell holland to throw on a couple more racks of ribs.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ticketed for arrival at 2:49 PM on 8/20/17. Seems to be a go with work...for now.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
very good ^
Thanks ^

I think we need to tell holland to throw on a couple more racks of ribs.
Was thinking about this.

Might need to bring down a special something from ANC if I end up in MCI for the eclipse.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Ticketed for arrival at 2:49 PM on 8/20/17. Seems to be a go with work...for now.
Hey, that's great!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by holland
I haven't heard 8 hours, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 2-4 hour drive from KCMO to St Joseph on the morning of the 21st. I live near Smithville Lake. I was going to St Joe to watch, but I'm "close enough" here and don't want to deal with the projected half million people they're expecting (local businesses and parks are selling parking spots for $30 I've been told). No thanks! NASA says I'll have 2m22.6s of totality on my lawn vs. 2m38.6s in St Joe. I'll give up the 16 seconds to save the hassle.

I'm planning to fire up the smoker with 6 racks of ribs about 9am that morning, watch the eclipse, and enjoy some Ribs & adult beverages around 3pm. Eclipse is scheduled for 11:40sh, assuming no weather delays.

If anyone needs to be closer to MCI and wants to join my family, send me a PM and I'll shoot you the address and my cell. I have plenty of parking and the day off. I'm (normally) 15 minutes from the airport, though the I-435/I-29 area may be a bit clogged on the afternoon/evening of the 21st with everyone streaming out of St Joe.
For Kansas City downtown expected totality time is 1:08pm
Latitude: 39° 05' 59" N Longitude: 94° 34' 43" W
Duration of Totality*: 27s Partial phase start: 11:41:19AM (CDT), at "1:00 o'clock" on the sun's disk
Totality Start*: 1:08:52PM (CDT)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
St Joseph is my intended viewing area, 41 miles from MCI airport from which I depart at 7:15pm Monday evening. I seriously can't imagine 8 hours driving or even close to it. (on a weekend maybe at best)
I have a motel booked in Leavenworth, KS (booked a LONG time ago and got a $50 rate!) and will drive up to St. Joseph for the main event. Lots of different ways to get up to St. Joe from there via Interstate, back roads, etc., so am not forecasting major issues with traffic.

I also have a motel booked near Sikeston, MO (slightly more expensive) that is a reasonable drive from the point of greatest duration near Carbondale, IL, and I also have a free place to stay near Bourbon, MO. My plan is to check a couple days in advance which one has the best chances of weather and go there.

So, I might be in KC on 8/20 and in STJ on 8/21 (I had loosely planned to do the airport viewing, but I don't know if I want to buy a $20 parking pass given there's a 2/3 chance I won't be there). If I am, I might be interesting joining activities but can't commit quite yet, of course.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
So, I might be in KC on 8/20 ...
here's hoping
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:51 am

here's hoping
I've been lobbying for @jackal to just commit

And things are still looking good for me... ^

Just figured out why my SEA-PDX flight is nearly sold out too Y=2 right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.