FlyerTalk Awards: 2017 winners announced on USA Today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, UA 1P, 1 MM, Delta, , SW, HHonors
BEST REWARDS PROGRAM (2017)

Americas

Fly: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
^

As a United MM refugee, could not agree more.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by IBobi
Americas

Stay: Starwood Preferred Guest

Drive: Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Alaska: Rightly deserving.
SPG: In light of World of Hyatt, yes.
Hertz: really?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
The results are very different than the Freddie Awards. Is the audience different?

FLYERTALK AWARDS

BEST REWARDS PROGRAM (2017)

Americas

Europe/Africa
Fly: British Airways Executive Club
Stay: Hilton HHonors

Middle East/Asia/Oceana
Fly: Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Whereas Freddie Results are:
Americas
Fly: Southwest
Stay: Marriott

Europe/Africa
Fly: Norwegian Air
Stay: Accor Hotels

Middle East/Asia/Oceana
Fly: El Al
Stay: Starwood
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:27 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by davistev
The results are very different than the Freddie Awards. Is the audience different?
The companies vying for Freddies spam out voting invites to their whole mailing lists. So at the Freddies, everyone who stayed at a Hilton -- ever -- even once -- gets invited to vote. At FT, only existing members vote.

I think that's the main difference: casual traveler versus expert traveler.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:18 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by serfty
There could have been more UK'phillic voting email addresses than EU'phillic.
FT is an English language website, hence "UK'philic voting". This said FT needs also the contributions of non native English speakers and we on the other hand learn much about many things from them. There is no similar forum like FT in other languages. The German version is a pain.

Would be interesting to know the percentage of non English speakers contributing to FT.

I am not disturbed by the awards vote because it is totally irrelevant.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:44 pm

Well, the website ...

Originally Posted by serfty
An email address is basically what is required to join FT. Any "email address" can vote.

There could have been more UK'phillic voting email addresses than EU'phillic.
... is as usual in English so lots of non-English speakers will not or cannot participate anyway ... I did not votel because I think that bonus programmes suit different people ... There is simply not a best to any category but preferences at best suiting someone's travel and lifestyle.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Exec Club, Hilton Honours
Democracy in action perhaps??

Originally Posted by Ursa81
Can someone explain why BA won the European FF award? I thought BA has some of the highest fuel surcharges and long haul award prices?

I am not complaining, I just wonder how their program is better than for instance Finnair (in OW) or the other well-known European programs (Lufthansa Group, Flying Blue etc). I am looking for a basket to put my Oneworld as well as Skyteam miles into.

Thank you.
It has to be the number of votes cast. There will be many who vated for other s to be awarded but we are about to hit the same problem with a General Elaection.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:45 am
HGB

Programs: AF Club 2000/ QR Gold/ TK Platinum/ Amex FB Platinium/ Visa Infinite Platinium
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ursa81
Can someone explain why BA won the European FF award? I thought BA has some of the highest fuel surcharges and long haul award prices?

I am not complaining, I just wonder how their program is better than for instance Finnair (in OW) or the other well-known European programs (Lufthansa Group, Flying Blue etc). I am looking for a basket to put my Oneworld as well as Skyteam miles into.

Thank you.
I share your opinion: if the programme is indeed pretty good compared to other European airlines its huge issue is that there are basically never any seats available at least in front of the bus (be it F or C) even 6 months ahead and off any peak periods. Very discouraging...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IBobi
I think that's the main difference: casual traveler versus expert traveler.
The suggestion that members of FT are all expert travelers is laughable.

All of these awards "by the people" are popularity contests where if a small but loyal group can get more traction for their favorite it will skew the final results. They should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt and not presumed to speak to the value for any one specific person. I respect that AS won in the Americas, for example, but the program is useless to me for travel as I'm based in NYC and rarely fly west (Yes, I know about the partners and such).
Old May 1, 2017, 4:03 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
The suggestion that members of FT are all expert travelers is laughable.

All of these awards "by the people" are popularity contests where if a small but loyal group can get more traction for their favorite it will skew the final results. They should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt and not presumed to speak to the value for any one specific person. I respect that AS won in the Americas, for example, but the program is useless to me for travel as I'm based in NYC and rarely fly west (Yes, I know about the partners and such).
Would you say that an average email recipient from, say, Hilton, is more, or less of a travel expert than the average FTer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.