Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If banned from flying a specific carrier, can one fly other carriers? [Discussion]

If banned from flying a specific carrier, can one fly other carriers? [Discussion]

Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: none

A friend of mine has been banned from traveling on BA. would he be able to book flights on any other airlines?
Thank you
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, raptor_a!
I'm moving your question to Information Desk.

NewbieRunner, co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by raptor_a
A friend of mine has been banned from traveling on BA. would he be able to book flights on any other airlines?
Thank you
I think we need more background information about what caused the ban in order to provide a good answer.

But in general, a ban from one airline would not prevent someone from booking flights on other airlines.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why was he banned?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
And who banned him? Was it BA, or did some government agency prevent him from boarding a BA flight?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk raptor_a.
As this is open to any airline aside from BA, we'll move this to TravelBuzz.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Welcome to FT. As you will find, one of the problems here is that you will only get the question answered that you ask.

As asked, the answer is "no." But, that means very little because we have no idea why your friend was banned and who banned him.

Please provide a full set of facts and you will get a much more useful answer.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:03 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If BA notified him that he is banned, then I would imagine this would apply to all airlines owned by the same company, which include Aer Lingus and Iberia. I don't see why it would apply to other airlines. If the government banned him (the UK has a no-fly list) then that likely applies to all flights departing to the UK.

Please tell us who banned him, how, and what the exact wording of the ban is, and we will be able to help.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by raptor_a
Yes.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
If BA notified him that he is banned, then I would imagine this would apply to all airlines owned by the same company, which include Aer Lingus and Iberia. I don't see why it would apply to other airlines. If the government banned him (the UK has a no-fly list) then that likely applies to all flights departing to the UK.

Please tell us who banned him, how, and what the exact wording of the ban is, and we will be able to help.
The interesting question here is whether that no-fly list would be shared with the USA.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:31 am
Suspended

This is all speculation until OP tells us more.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So....what'd you* do, and was the flight to/from MAN? It seems like well over 90% of the worldwide people-getting-banned-from-airlines stories involve that airport. Is there free beer there or something?

*I mean, uh, your "friend"...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
So....what'd you* do, and was the flight to/from MAN? It seems like well over 90% of the worldwide people-getting-banned-from-airlines stories involve that airport. Is there free beer there or something?

*I mean, uh, your "friend"...
I thought it was Glasgow
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:53 am
Suspended

As the OP has not been back for a week, I suggest closing this thread before it derails.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is all speculation until OP tells us more.
No, it's not.

Since new members to FT aren't all that familiar with how to even request a thread get unlocked -- let alone being certain that it will get unlocked -- this thread remaining open makes good sense in the off chance that the OP posts again.

Very few airline-instituted passenger bans aren't easily circumvented. Government-instituted bans are harder to circumvent, but there may be ways around that too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.