Search

MCI BBQ DO XII - may 19-21, 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Swag acquired. En route to Foo's.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:04 am

Small but fun group indeed. Thanks again to MCI777 for organizing. Even though I traded some BBQ stops for the KC Tap Tour this year, still got to try new (to me) spots like Q39 and revisit old friends (looking at you, mountain of LC's burnt ends).

Glad to be back after a few years off. Looking forward to next time.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Glad to meet up with a few of you last night at LC's! That BBQ sure smelled amazing and I'll definitely have to head out there in the coming weeks to try it. Hope everybody had an easy and irrops free trip back home!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Since you're still reading... I'm considering a trip to MCI later this summer. What else is there to do in the KC area for a day or two besides eat?
I read about the Truman Museum and WWl Museum. Other suggestions for a possible overnight?

The Royals are away that weekend.

I promise to post if I decide to visit.

dh
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Since you're still reading... I'm considering a trip to MCI later this summer. What else is there to do in the KC area for a day or two besides eat?
I read about the Truman Museum and WWl Museum. Other suggestions for a possible overnight?

dh
The locals will probably have more to add, but the Negro Leagues museum is interesting, and adjacent to the American Jazz museum which is also not bad.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53

dh
The WWI Museum @ Liberty Memorial is pretty awesome. The KC Zoo has improved a LOT in the last 5 years as well and might be worth a visit if you like that sort of thing. We've also got an aquarium & LEGO place at Crown Center. If you like shopping, you can check out the shops in Crown Center, Legends, or the Country Club Plaza. Lots of night life in both Power & Light (14th & Grand) or Wesport (39th & Main). Good local concert venues like the Uptown (39th & Broadway) or Record Bar (Westport). We also have a Cabellas

What kind of interests do you have? Hobbies? Maybe I can give you more to go on, but those are off the top of my head having grown up and lived in KC most of my life.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
The Arabia Steamboat Museum in the River market is a one of a kind museum in the whole US.

http://1856.com

If you do go to the Plaza on a weekend night be very careful walking around. There are packs of marauding teens there hassling people, fighting each other, stealing phones from people's hands, and occasionally shooting at each other. I never go there anymore after dark.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Thanks everyone. It seems that all the ideas mentioned should cover me.

I'll be in town Saturday August 26 lunch - midday Monday. I'll post after I hear back from a friend of mine. I'm looking to eat BBQ and steak, and have read and researched the recommendations posted. ^

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.