Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Old May 20, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by jswong
Looks like a bunch of people taking the train to Newcastle from Sydney on the Friday

I will be arriving from Wellington on QF162, the same flight as Perk, at 08:10

We're thinking of heading into town to hang out for a while and hopefully join some others for the train trip to Newcastle (happy to stop somewhere if that works out). Anyone keen to join us?

Jeff
I would like to join you. Just let me know when and where to meet you.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
PMs sent. Will aim to meet at circular quay and perhaps head to the rocks for coffee about 09:30. Then either a short ferry ride to DH, a stroll around the opera house, or brunch (or anything else for that matter). Plan to take the 12:15 train to Newcastle
Old May 20, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Looks like we have a group that want to travel together for the 12:15 train.

tom911
restlessinRNO
smithy06
Austin787
jswong
chchkiwi
Perk
Fredd
Mrs Fredd
Any one I missed.

http://www.sydneytrains.info/

For timetable information, Central Coast and Newcastle Line.

Did some checks Newcastle trains depart usually from platform 9 or 10, but it could be any one of 1-15.

station map.

If you miss the 12:15 train they are every 30 minutes.
Trains to Newcastle from Central run every 30 minutes; example 12:15 and 12:45pm.

Journey for the 12:15pm arrives at 2:51pm so almost 3 hours, 3:08pm with bus connection.

Please note the train only goes to Hamilton, the 3 stations Wickham, Civic and Newcastle were closed in December 2014, Wickham will be reopened at the end of 2017 where it will become a major interchange for buses and light rail.

Originally Posted by serfty
From what platform do the Hamilton (Newcastle) trains normally depart Central?
Platform 9-10.

Originally Posted by tom911
I'll be heading.to Newcastle from Sydney Central around noon on Friday. RestlessinRNO will likely be with me. We can sort out a meeting spot and exact train a few days out. Make sure you purchase an Opal card and charge it prior to departure. i
Originally Posted by Austin787
I arrive SYD Friday. I plan to drop my luggage Central Station then hang out in Sydney for a few hours. Then grab brunch or lunch then take the 12:15 or 13:15 train to Newcastle.
Originally Posted by smitty06
Awesome. Maybe we will be on the same train.
Originally Posted by jswong
Looks like a bunch of people taking the train to Newcastle from Sydney on the Friday
Originally Posted by chchkiwi
I will also be catching the train to Newcastle on Friday. Looks like the 12:15

Last edited by Bundy Bear; May 20, 2017 at 8:28 pm Reason: Adding people that I wasn't sure of their movements.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear

tom911
restlessinRNO
smithy06
Austin787
jswong
chchkiwi
Any one I missed.

Did some checks Newcastle trains depart usually from platform 9 or 10, but it could be any one of 1-15.

station map.

Trains to Newcastle from Central run every 30 minutes; example 12:15 and 12:45pm.

Journey for the 12:15pm arrives at 2:51pm so almost 3 hours, 3:08pm with bus connection.

Please note the train only goes to Hamilton, the 3 stations Wickham, Civic and Newcastle were closed in December 2014, Wickham will be reopened at the end of 2017 where it will become a major interchange for buses and light rail.

Platform 9-10.
Please count us in.

Brian and Kathy
Old May 20, 2017, 11:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
THURSDAY DRINKS/DINNER - SYDNEY

How about my usual spot there, Cheers Sports Bar, at 561 George Street? They have pretty good food on offer at the basement level (everything from lasagna to fish and chips to burgers). It's within a few blocks of Town Hall station. Has been sparsely occupied on the lower level on past visits, so hopefully this holds for Thursday.
http://cheersbar.com.au/

I went here last year with two FTers and have been there with others in the past.

Would need to sort out a time. 6? 7?

Last edited by tom911; May 20, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
THURSDAY DRINKS/DINNER - SYDNEY

How about my usual spot there, Cheers Sports Bar, at 561 George Street? They have pretty good food on offer at the basement level (everything from lasagna to fish and chips to burgers). It's within a few blocks of Town Hall station. Has been sparsely occupied on the lower level on past visits, so hopefully this holds for Thursday.
http://cheersbar.com.au/

I went here last year with two FTers and have been there with others in the past.

Would need to sort out a time. 6? 7?
Tom - I will get in touch with you closer to the time, but this sounds like a great idea.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Tom - I will get in touch with you closer to the time, but this sounds like a great idea.
Count us in too! ^
Old May 21, 2017, 12:14 am
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear

tom911
restlessinRNO
smithy06
Austin787
jswong
chchkiwi
Perk
Fredd
Mrs Fredd
Any one I missed.

station map.

Platform 9-10.
Attending a FT DO by Train.

We might have to think about banning you lot!
Old May 21, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Attending a FT DO by Train.

We might have to think about banning you lot!
And don't we have to finish it on a bus? The irony struck me too.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: QF OWE, NZ EP, Le Club Gold, HH Silver
The 12.15 train is looking like a fun time looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday!
Old May 21, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by Perk
The 12.15 train is looking like a fun time looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday!
Looks like I will be 10 hours too late for the party train.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
Looks like I will be 10 hours too late for the party train.
... and me 3 hours too late - hoping to catch 3:45pm, a miracle might see me on the 3:15pm departure.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Fredd
Count us in too! ^
]

Does 6pm or 7pm work better for you for Thursday night? I'm close enough to do either. Might as well set a time now and ant other FTers can join us over the next hour or more.

Tom in Melbourne
Old May 22, 2017, 2:27 am

]

Does 6pm or 7pm work better for you for Thursday night? I'm close enough to do either. Might as well set a time now and ant other FTers can join us over the next hour or more.

Tom in Melbourne
We'd be happy with 7 but can make it at 6 or 6:30 if that works better for others.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
]

Tom in Melbourne
Tom in my experience it depends whether your hotel has lounge, if the lounge is good then hard to drag people away so later is better, if there is no lounge and there are people that are working then 6pm is probably better.

Remember sunset is around 5:00pm and dark by 5:30pm so an earlier time may be better.

YMMV,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.